Battle Email: Thunderbird or Outlook 2016

S

Sr. Normal 2.0

Thread author
Hi friends! :)

We have bought a new computer for the family and it comes with a license of MS Office 2016. I have not been using this suite for many years and I am considering the option to use Outlook 2016.

I am mainly interested in security and the AntiSpam filter more than the speed or the most beautiful GUI

Thank you in advance :)

kev216

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 6, 2014
I also have used eMClient for quite some time. One of the better email clients.
Afaik, Mozilla stopped the developement of Thunderbird. From the two, my choice would be Outlook. Been an Outlook user for years and it always worked well.

S

Sr. Normal 2.0

Thread author
First of all, thanks guys, for your answers, I really appreciate your advices :)

My wife uses MailBird: Don't like Outlook? Get Mailbird.
And I use eM Client: eM Client
I have the premium and i use it for my non-protonmail accounts
they have a free solution too I believe
I have found eM Client to be better than both the options you propose ;)

Both are great, but i´m looking for a free option. eM Client offers only the possibility of managing 2 accounts and Mailbird comes with “Sent from Mailbird” signature and mannaging 3 accounts. I have five accounts, yes, I know it, I am an exaggerated one, but I use the five, the two programs that you report are excellent, but the free version is not valid for me, but thanks for the info

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
First of all, thanks guys, for your answers, I really appreciate your advices :)

Both are great, but i´m looking for a free option. eM Client offers only the possibility of managing 2 accounts and Mailbird comes with “Sent from Mailbird” signature and mannaging 3 accounts. I have five accounts, yes, I know it, I am an exaggerated one, but I use the five, the two programs that you report are excellent, but the free version is not valid for me, but thanks for the info
No worries, and good luck ;)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015

You could forward two of the accounts that would condense it down to 3 accounts :)
I have and to do something similar in the past before I went to 2 secure email accounts.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015

I think you can get rid of the "sent from mailbird" sig. look around in the settings.

Reactions: Sr. Normal 2.0

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Personally I use both. No issue with doing this as I'm sure you have separate email addresses for separate purposes. And two things:

1) TBird is still being developed, but by the community (like SeaMonkey). Current nightly builds still come fast and furious on the usual channel

2). MS Outlook is just outrageously good in too many ways to count. And many can get it very cheaply at the Microsoft Home Use program website: Microsoft HUP - Register to purchase Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016 at a discounted rate through the Home Use Program

In the USA it's $9.95 for those eligible.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
For Thunderbird you'll require GnuPG and Enigmail for secure emailing

As for Outlook it belongs to Microsoft. If you believe in MS not having a copy of your email in their server and/or not reading your mails then it's fine.

Last edited:
S

Sr. Normal 2.0

Thread author
The first thing is to thank everyone :)

I'm testing both, I've been using Thunderbird for many years and I'm not comfortable with Outlook (well, not yet. I'm using it to favor that comfort curve).

The good news is that yesterday I received a Thunderbird update with some security fixes, I suppose they will be updates made by the community, but I'm glad that the project is not abandoned.

Thank you all for your info and tips :)

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Work it from your priorities: how secure can you make these products?

I'd find it difficult that one could make Thunderbird more secure than Outlook, but I don't have experience with Thunderbird.

DC47561

Level 3
Verified
Feb 3, 2017
Outlook for me as I think it is really well polished and the spell check is much better in my experience than Thunderbird.

The fact that in the workplace (as long as you have 365 business premium or office professional plus) you can lock down the configuration of outlook is a real hit for me.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.