EMETs config

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
I'm sorry but you are wrong. Time Machine is the same as Rollback RX. Paragon is a system image stored on an external HDD. A system image is a complete mirror image of your pc stored externally. Time Machine is a glorified system restore. It cannot save you if and when you have a HDD failure.

Think of a system image as a quick reformat without reinstalling everything. If you already have an external HDD then use Paragon. Also Windows 7 comes with its own backup system image utility.

iPanik

Feb 28, 2011
w00t, another LUA user :D
Welcome to a very exclusive club :)

Something to scan the downloads that you bring outside the sandbox would be a good idea. If you use Malwarebytes for that, then that's fine.

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
I think you have a pretty solid config and I also like seeing people use a non-admin account. Performing backups on an external HDD is a good advice as COMODO Time Machine can't be used if your HDD gets damaged/laptop gets stolen etc. It probably depends on the data you currently store on your machine. If everything is replaceable and you can afford the time to start all over again you might not need to do it often. Anyway, it's up to you.

EMET

Thread author
Apr 23, 2011
bogdan said:
I think you have a pretty solid config and I also like seeing people use a non-admin account. Performing backups on an external HDD is a good advice as COMODO Time Machine can't be used....

I am obviously not too well versed on back-up software.
It's a good thing I still have a few Macrium images tucked away on my ext.HD...the start up disk is around here somewhere...haha.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Having old images is pointless cause you will be mounting old files and folders. A system image is only useful if its kept up to date. Paragon is a lot better then Macrium any day cause the boot up cd is Windows PE based. Macrium has also had issues mounting a complete image without errors. I tried everything out there. Paragon never let me down once after about 20 images. Just use the bootable cd and your all set. Backup and running in less then an hour.

EMET

Thread author
Apr 23, 2011
iPanik said:
w00t, another LUA user :D
Welcome to a very exclusive club :)

Something to scan the downloads that you bring outside the sandbox would be a good idea. If you use Malwarebytes for that, then that's fine.

Yeah LUA users rule!!

I scan everything while it's in Sandboxie, and I usually just sandbox Explorer when I want to navigate thru my computer. That way if I open something it will also open within Sandboxie. The only time I need to un-sandbox something is if I want to delete it.

Dieselman

Level 1
Mar 26, 2011
Sandboxie is not a cure all keep in mind. Especially on a 64 bit OS. Just cause you scan it with MBAM does not mean its clean and Cleaning Essentials has a high false positive rate. So be careful what you are doing. Hence the system image.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Hey and warm welcome EMET

I would like to know which version of CTM you use; the so called stable release (2.81xxxx) is not that stable as it seems due to error when logging in the console. Thread: Comodo Time Machine.

if you have strong/multi core cpu (2 core goes but higher is better) and nice ram (4GB or more) you could try to install WMware, VirtualBox or any alike; this way you will be able to more protected when you try new software (it doesn't mean that you're 100% secure that the software will work the same on your real machine as it does in your Virtual environment). Thread: Testing software in virtual environment in order to protect your PC

Enjoy your stay. :)

Regards,
Valentin N

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
Valentin N said:
I would like to know which version of CTM you use; the so called stable release (2.81xxxx) is not that stable as it seems due to error when logging in the console. Thread: Comodo Time Machine.

2.8 is stable on my machine. In fact, I went back to 2.8 because 2.9 takes a very long time (on my machine) to rollback even slight changes.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
HeffeD said:
Valentin N said:

2.8 is stable on my machine. In fact, I went back to 2.8 because 2.9 takes a very long time (on my machine) to rollback even slight changes.

on my pc the console didn't work which is the biggest reason why I use the beta :)

EMET

Thread author
Apr 23, 2011
Valentin N said:
I would like to know which version of CTM you use; the so called stable release (2.81xxxx) is not that stable as it seems due to error when logging in the console.

I have the latest beta...2.9

Actually I don't use it correctly. For example, I don't have it set to automatically make new snap shots...and I always forget to make them. The ones I have a several months old.
For some reason I'm happy just to backup my personal stuff, if I need to re-install it's not a big deal to me.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
EMET said:
Actually I don't use it correctly. For example, I don't have it set to automatically make new snap shots...and I always forget to make them.

I don't have it set to automatically take snapshots either. Nothing wrong with that. ;)

I just take one manually before testing something I'm unfamiliar with.

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
Same here I use Rollback RX which basically is the backbone software CTM uses, Manual when ever I need them.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
have you tried comodo time machine MrXidus? of what I know the Rollback is expensive and the GUI is not the best (just my opinion)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
:eek:fftopic:
Valentin, but isn't CTM for most users unstable?

Even EMET doesn't recommend it. :p
http://malwaretips.com/Thread-EMETs-config?pid=7705#pid7705
EMET said:
I can't really recommend it because it seems to give some people a hard time. I've never had a problem though.

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
stormgtr said:

EMET said:
I can't really recommend it because it seems to give some people a hard time. I've never had a problem though.

Of what I have seen CTM 2.9b has shown great stability and reliability. I have seen people having problem with CTM 2.8 rather than 2.9b

Regards,
Valentin N

EMET

Thread author
Apr 23, 2011
stormgtr said:

EMET said:

Well, you'll find that I won't be recommending much of anything on this forum. I just feel uncomfortable doing so.

You may see me swooning over a certain program (Sandboxie) but I will never recommend it, or tell someone they are foolish if they don't use it as well. I may tell someone to consider testing a program, but that's as far as I'll go.

I love Comodo Time Machine, it's never caused a problem for me, but there are some who have had a bad experience. I'm sure there are thousands of people who are using it, so the 10 or 20 people on the Comodo forums is a tiny fraction.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Fair enough.

Any how, I see you use a fair few Comodo products. :p

bogdan

Level 1
Jan 7, 2011
Because of some bad bugs CTM had in the past it is hard to recommend it. If something goes wrong a user might lose his data. With that being said, the latest beta looks good so far, hopefully COMODO will pull it of this time and release a stable final version (only time will tell if 2.9 final is stable).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.