Help Me Decide Emsisoft Anti-Malware 12 OR Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium?

Discussion in 'Compare Apps Archive' started by spaceoctopus, Jan 11, 2017.

?

Emsisoft Anti-Malware 12 OR Malwarebytes 3.0 ?

1. EAM 12

68 vote(s)
    88.3%
  2. Malwabytes 3.0

9 vote(s)
    11.7%
  1. Aura

Aura Level 20

Jul 29, 2014
    Technical Support Tier 2
    Québec, Canada
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Go on Emsisoft and/or Malwarebytes Forums and ask them if the competitor product is the same kind of product as their. Maybe you'll understand if they tell you directly.

You cannot compare Antivirus and Antimalware side to side, simple as that.

2. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Level 7
    Trusted

Jun 12, 2014
    Windows 10
    The fact that Emsisoft uses the term "anti-malware" correctly and Malwarebytes did not in the past, answers the question in which company to put your faith. Another term Malwarebytes doesn't seem to understand is "next-generation". Apparently next-generation means you put together three products: one that's alright but slightly behind the competition, one that's years behind the competition and, finally, one that doesn't work at all.

And since Malwarebytes say their product is now not only a replacement for existing solutions but also superior, hence "next-generation", it is more than fair to compare them.

3. Aura

Aura Level 20

Jul 29, 2014
    Technical Support Tier 2
    Québec, Canada
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    So basically you choose to compare the products based on how they are advertised, rather than compare on how they work and what they do. Some people should look up how Antivirus and Antimalware products works more before posting I guess.

Not going to waste time arguing on this any longer.

ant_gamal likes this.
  4. TheErzengel

TheErzengel Level 2

Dec 21, 2012
    Version 3 of Malwarebytes has low detection, slow and unstable. I even prefer Zemana A.

Emsisoft is much better than Malwarebytes and Zemana (even together)

5. Azure Phoenix

Azure Phoenix Level 19

Oct 23, 2014
    Puerto Rico
    This isn't even a competition. I rather pick the stable product(Emsisoft) over the beta(Malwarebytes 3.0)

Emsisoft has spent years fine-tuning their product. While Malwarebytes hasn't had the time do that yet.

6. spaceoctopus

spaceoctopus Level 10

Jul 13, 2014
    Distant galaxy
    Windows 10
    ESET
    #26 spaceoctopus, Jan 12, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    If the comparison annoys you, you can post your extensive analysis and your certified professional testing methods, for us all to see ;)
    Everyone commenting on that post till now have understood the meaning, except @Aura only.
    @FleischmannTV, summarised it all, so well.
    If the way the products are advertised does not please you, then, go and pick a fight with Emsisoft or Malwarebytes. I'm not a qualified expert or have a laboratory to tell Malwarebytes and Emsisoft how there product work. So it is logical to base a post on how they advertise their products.These two fit well for a comparison. So each comment with it's personal experience about the two products.
    Some prefer Emsisoft others Malwarebytes, i'm fine with that, giving us a little insight about the feelings of people and their preferences. :)

7. spaceoctopus

spaceoctopus Level 10

Jul 13, 2014
    Distant galaxy
    Windows 10
    ESET
    I understand your point.:) Malwarebytes 3.0 is new and need more time for fine tuning their product. Perhaps the reason why many are complaining about its resource usage issues. On the other side Emsisoft has been extensively tested and fine tuned. It also has a good amount of very good results in independent test such as AVTEST.org.

But there is something very interesting with Malwarebytes 3.0. The fact that it is a bit of an ''hybrid'' product, it is very difficult to test. There is a good explanation on that in that article of PC Mag:

Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium

Malwarebytes also advises how Malwarebytes 3.0 should be tested for its anti-exploit capabilities:

https://malwarebytes.app.box.com/s/ct1xck9f7hphaeuj9nbhq9xxt4ayd6tk

Svoll, tim one and ng4ever like this.
  8. ng4ever

ng4ever Level 8

Feb 11, 2016
    US
    This is a interesting thread. I never realize how much better Emsisoft Anti-Malware 12 is right now than Malwarebytes 3.0 Premium.
    Thanks for opening my eyes!

Svoll and spaceoctopus like this.
  9. ng4ever

ng4ever Level 8

Feb 11, 2016
    US
    I agree. I like this forum better than the other so called security forum which will go unnamed.

10. ng4ever

ng4ever Level 8

Feb 11, 2016
    US
    I have one question does Emsisoft Anti-Malware have a lifetime license ? I am guessing no :(

What the biggest difference between Emsisoft Anti-Malware free and paid please ?

Svoll likes this.
  11. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Level 7
    Trusted

Jun 12, 2014
    Windows 10
    I compared them by how they are advertised, by how they work and how that advertising is disingenuous in regards as to how Malwarebytes works. Emsisoft works, Malwarebytes doesn't, whereas Malwarebytes advertise their product as superior next-generation even though the hastily scrambled together combination of defunct tools is still years behind what Emsisoft did years ago.

Maybe some people should look up how these products really work instead of reiterating the company's marketing statements.

12. JakeXPMan

JakeXPMan Level 15

Oct 20, 2014
    Windows 7
    I also was one of those votes hehe.

Malwarebytes, cause I think its enough to do the job, at a bit lower scale but should run less resourses. (Its all about the resourses) lol

Svoll and spaceoctopus like this.
  13. JakeXPMan

JakeXPMan Level 15

Oct 20, 2014
    Windows 7
    Problem is, I see many programs score well one time, and not so great another... especially with zero day malwares.

Avast is king, then its not.
    Avira blocked it ALL, then another time, it let 3 infections pass.
    AVG fails, then better then even Avast at zero day.

Etc... I just pick what works the smoothest on the PC now.

Svoll, Evjl's Rain, ng4ever and 3 others like this.
  14. This is a very good point but a lot of the major AVs do well in most of the tests - yes they fail/fall occasionally but when I do tests they mostly get about the same result. It really depends on how many people use False Positives in their tests - I am now verifying all of the malware & have been for a few videos - this means that only malware will be in the samples folder. False Positives really mess up the detection rate in a test so you've got to make sure that there are none!

15. tim one

tim one Level 18
    Trusted AV Tester

Jul 31, 2014
    Europe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    The fact is that an antivirus program should ideally (as the name says) protect your computer from viruses, but viruses are just one of the many categories of malware.
    But in reality, the most common antivirus programs now protect against viruses and also, more generally, against other types of malware.

So why are they called antivirus?

The reason is business, of course.
    Everyone has heard of viruses, and many average users think that all the computer's infections are caused only by viruses, because they don't know the more correct term "malware", and then they don't know that viruses are just one category of malware. Accordingly, when the average user looks for a program to protect the computer, he wants typically an antivirus program.

The term antivirus then has more business power of the term antimalware and for this, security vendors prefer to continue to define their products as antivirus, even if they should be more correctly defined as antimalware.

Now, considering that Malwarebytes 3.0 is an "all-in-one" product like Emsisoft, then a comparison is reasonable in my opinion.

16. tim one

tim one Level 18
    Trusted AV Tester

Jul 31, 2014
    Europe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    The difference is real time protection.

17. spaceoctopus

spaceoctopus Level 10

Jul 13, 2014
    Distant galaxy
    Windows 10
    ESET
    Kinda ecclectic and most practical, approach! ;)

Svoll and MalwareBlockerYT like this.
  18. spaceoctopus

spaceoctopus Level 10

Jul 13, 2014
    Distant galaxy
    Windows 10
    ESET
    Very nice point of view on the use of the ''Antivirus'' and ''Anti-malware'' label to define a product.:)

Svoll, Solarquest, ng4ever and 2 others like this.
  19. ng4ever

ng4ever Level 8

Feb 11, 2016
    US
    Thank you!

Svoll, tim one and Solarquest like this.
  20. Solarquest

Solarquest Moderator
    Staff Member AV Tester

Jul 22, 2014