App Review Emsisoft Anti-Malware 2022

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello and welcome to the Emsisoft test!
Emsisoft (formerly a-squared) is a publisher from New Zealand.
Formerly named A-Squared, the publisher renamed itself Emsisoft, also using IKARUS in the past, then Bitdefender for many years in addition to its engine.
For 2022, Cloud protection is the order of the day with an anti-exploit solution and a focus on behavioral detection.

The interface has been tweaked a bit, I really like it. The Dark Mode is present.
You can also cancel a setting in case of error.

Protection level, it's a PERFECT!
Not only its Web protection is formidable, but its scanner too!
That it is attacks VBS, Js, Java or variants of Magniber, its scanner detects very very quickly!
Its behavioral system is also very good, the VBS attack to install a RAT could not be done, Emsisoft detects the flaw in Powershell and blocks it directly.
The machine is clean, congrats!

Watch my review on Odysee !

RAM Usage : Average (enable memory optimization if you have a PC with little !!!!)
Malware URL test : 9/9 (1 dead)
Fake crack : 1/1 (detected)
Malware Pack : Remaining 8 files to 248.
Its anti-malware scanner is very powerful!
At runtime, several malware did not work, one (AgentTesla) was blocked by the Cloud AI Machine Learning and the 2 VBS scripts were stopped by the anti-exploit protection, now included in the behavioral blocker.

Resistance to script attacks: Yes

Result :
Emsisoft : 0
NPE : 0
KVT : 0

Recommand : Yes
System Clean : Yes, system clean

@Asterixpl / @SecureKongo and @geminis3 request

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Great test @Shadowra !
Really like Emsisoft and its notification design, but I always get a weird issue after some time of using Emsisoft. Emsisoft deletes the malware but for some reason it doesn't show a notificiation. Then after a reboot everything is working fine, but later on the same bug occurs again. Will see if the new update fixed it. (y)

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Great work as always!
I have been happy with Emsisoft for many years now. Glad to see that they are still performing well with their competitors! :D

RAM Usage : Average (enable memory optimization if you have a PC with little !!!!)
For a bit of context for future readers: Emsisoft loads their definitions and such into the RAM itself, hence the higher "usage" of RAM. In recent years, Bitdefender and a few others are trying to use the same mechanic in their products. What are the pros? Your entire system scan or file scans, take less than a minute. Cons: for machines or laptops with limited RAM (<8GB) it could lead to performance issues.

Since more and more applications are offloading some of their stuff to the RAM, I thought this might be useful to be noted down.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Thanks for your test, great work as always!

Emsisoft offers a solid protection but I have found its Behavior Blocker to block too many legit software (last time I used it my PostgreSQL installation got quarantined after opening psql), it also nags about some other CLI tools I use.

PD: I have an EAM license valid till 01/23 which I can't use due to FPs interfering my workflow, if somebody needs it please send me DM (claimed by @Digmor Crusher 😃)

Last edited:

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I will love to try Emsisoft again, but their pricing is too expensive for me.
Bitdefender offers antivirus plus version 3 pcs/1 year for $30 directly, and Newegg has antivirus plus 3 pcs/2 years for $30.

Plus Bitdefender has their own free antivirus version

Bushman

Level 2
Verified
Sep 9, 2017
Hello and welcome to the Emsisoft test!
Emsisoft (formerly a-squared) is a publisher from New Zealand.
Formerly named A-Squared, the publisher renamed itself Emsisoft, also using IKARUS in the past, then Bitdefender for many years in addition to its engine.
For 2022, Cloud protection is the order of the day with an anti-exploit solution and a focus on behavioral detection.

The interface has been tweaked a bit, I really like it. The Dark Mode is present.
You can also cancel a setting in case of error.

Protection level, it's a PERFECT!
Not only its Web protection is formidable, but its scanner too!
That it is attacks VBS, Js, Java or variants of Magniber, its scanner detects very very quickly!
Its behavioral system is also very good, the VBS attack to install a RAT could not be done, Emsisoft detects the flaw in Powershell and blocks it directly.
The machine is clean, congrats!

Watch my review on Odysee !

Malware URL test : 9/9 (1 dead)
Fake crack : 1/1 (detected)
Malware Pack : Remaining 8 files to 248.
Its anti-malware scanner is very powerful!
At runtime, several malware did not work, one (AgentTesla) was blocked by the Cloud AI Machine Learning and the 2 VBS scripts were stopped by the anti-exploit protection, now included in the behavioral blocker.

Resistance to script attacks: Yes

Result :
Emsisoft : 0
NPE : 0
KVT : 0

Recommand : Yes
System Clean : Yes, system clean

@Asterixpl / @SecureKongo and @geminis3 request
Thank you Shadowra for this test.
This anti-malware has been protecting my 11 computers for 2 years with the emsisoft enterprise security solution .
A really effective behavioral blocker, no addition of unnecessary features, the best after-sales service from software publishers.
Marketing is not their goal like many others.
Efficient and close to its customers.
I have used different security software but this one is really the best in so many ways

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
I installed Emsisoft some time last week on this my main PC, no problems I really like the privacy aspect of it, runs well doesn't cause ant slowdown I can notice - So easy to install too - Thank you Shadowra as always !

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.