App Review Emsisoft Anti Malware 8 review and the aftermath(nsm0220)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

it seems after what i saw, that EAM's Behavior Blocker crashed for a moment, then you ran the "babylon malware" just after and allowed it so it is why we found it.

note that HMP has a lot of FPs , if this rootkit bypass it (it was a Tdss variant) MBAM should found it too and it was not the case from what i saw (unless i miss something).
So we cant tell for sure that EAM was bypassed.

your review contains too many hesitations/lack of knowledge of the product and also "maybe/if/i think/what happen?"; all those made it not professional and may discredit your skills.

follow those guidelines: http://malwaretips.com/threads/video-written-reviews-guidelines-advices.22362/

Reactions: Koroke San

nsm0220

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
it seems after what i saw, that EAM's Behavior Blocker crashed for a moment, then you ran the "babylon malware" just after and allowed it so it is why we found it.

note that HMP has a lot of FPs , if this rootkit bypass it (it was a Tdss variant) MBAM should found it too and it was not the case from what i saw (unless i miss something).
So we cant tell for sure that EAM was bypassed.

your review contains too many hesitations/lack of knowledge of the product and also "maybe/if/i think/what happen?"; all those made it not professional and may discredit your skills.

follow those guidelines: http://malwaretips.com/threads/video-written-reviews-guidelines-advices.22362/

i don't think so and besides i was angry at the av for haveing bad behavior blocker and besides i have use honesty with testing malware and besides this video was from last year as well and why you pick this video out my videos to do your opinion and besides you are too soft on the avs. also you need to know that people put their data at risk to trust on these av's

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

i don't think so and besides i was angry at the av for haveing bad behavior blocker and besides i have use honesty with testing malware

i tested many malwares with it too, and the BB never behave liked this, so it is why i suspected it crashes (note than i avoid VMs to do my tests) ; i could also be wrong but note that i closed-beta test EAM since a long time, and i use my experience of it.

and besides this video was from last year as well and why you pick this video out my videos to do your opinion

because you PM me it so i took time to view it.

Now if you deny my critics , it is your right, but don't be surprise if people distrust your reviews in the future.

nsm0220

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
i tested many malwares with it too, and the BB never behave liked this, so it is why i suspected it crashes (note than i avoid VMs to do my tests) ; i could also be wrong but note that i closed-beta test EAM since a long time, and i use my experience of it.

because you PM me it so i took time to view it.

Now if you deny my critics , it is your right, but don't be surprise if people distrust your reviews in the future.

you know most av testers have to test avs in the vm because for pc safety reasons and plus there are lot of malware out there that would make my life a living nightmare

spywar

Level 11
Oct 26, 2012
There are also vm-aware malware, and also obvious reasons why best tests would be on a real world. But I personally can't do that since have only one PC, that is why I stopped testing.

nsm0220

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
There are also vm-aware malware, and also obvious reasons why best tests would be on a real world. But I personally can't do that since have only one PC, that is why I stopped testing.
i don't think are vm-aware malware out there anyway and besides if you so worried about testing avs why not get a new pc for your self

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
So I should be angry that Emsisoft crashed my beloved Threatfire super-tweaked abandonware for good?????

I still say Threatfire kicks butt the way I injected it, and also set it to level 5. No matter, EIS and Sandboxie are plenty.

spywar

Level 11
Oct 26, 2012
i don't think are vm-aware malware out there anyway and besides if you so worried about testing avs why not get a new pc for your self
Because only have one PC and also no time for testing...so I let that to others (I mean antivirus testing).

D

Deleted member 178

Anyway testing avs in VMs is sometimes innaccurate, rather buy a cheap old pc to do them.

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
well i use Virtualbox alot to test software on Win Xp and Win 7 and to learn Linux

and with Windows i'v learned that not all software will install in Windows beacuse
of it being a VM like some DLL missing or with games something with direct X and
if i install something from Giveawayoftheday their newer Wrapper with Themida will
not work most of the time in a VM

so one would think Malware to be the same as it has to install on the system running
as a VM

just my thoughts on vm-aware malware

:)

James

nsm0220

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Sep 9, 2013
Anyway testing avs in VMs is sometimes innaccurate, rather buy a cheap old pc to do them.
the trouble with using a old pc to do av testing is 1. you have nuke the pc every time after you do an av test 2. if the old pc is connected to a network you might put your other pc in danger 3.nuking a pc cost time as well.thats why many av testers use vms to get rid of the 3 weakness.

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
if you have nothing nice to say then don't say it

I didn't mean to disrespect u in any way brah :) when i clicked in ur video, i saw dislikes much that's why i doubt in ur videos. there are other peoples in yt who tested EAM & get likes & nice comments. Anyways keep it up :)

Reactions: Exterminator

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
the trouble with using a old pc to do av testing is 1. you have nuke the pc every time after you do an av test 2. if the old pc is connected to a network you might put your other pc in danger 3.nuking a pc cost time as well.thats why many av testers use vms to get rid of the 3 weakness.

The problem with running on a virtual machine is that a VM-aware Virus can:
1. Detect it is running on a Virtual Machine and stop doing what it is supposed to thus preventing you from seeing what it's behavior is.
2. There is a possibility that running on VM that it can infect the host
3. Running an infected VM with access to your network can also open you up for attack.

VM-aware viruses are now a real problem (they have been around for a while).I think for the above reasons is why some are rethinking using VM for testing.

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
That's why I have my host system running in ShadowDefender and AE in lockdown. Never know when something is going to break out of VM.

I

illumination

I agree with the others of testing with an old PC "minus" the VM.. Not only for reasons stated, but just simply because i fully believe you would produce more accurate results in a real time environment.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
if you have nothing nice to say then don't say it

Koroke wasn't saying anything bad just a misunderstanding of his post as explained by him in the quoted post below :)

I didn't mean to disrespect u in any way brah :) when i clicked in ur video, i saw dislikes much that's why i doubt in ur videos. there are other peoples in yt who tested EAM & get likes & nice comments. Anyways keep it up :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.