App Review Emsisoft Anti Malware Home Tested 12.2.22

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Computer Solutions

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
KInda weird it does not block phishing sites with the extension, when the extension works like charm for me atleast

1670492944114.png

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
my experience with Emsisoft Web Protection and Browser Security is the same
it never blocks anything for me, i've tested it with so many URLs from phishtank, openphish etc
it just doesn't block any of them.
Maybe there is a bug cause when i scan the URLs on VirusTotal, Emsisoft detect them as phishing. but on my system it just doesn't block the URL.

I'm in contact with their Support right now
not sure how they're going to handle this tho

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
my experience with Emsisoft Web Protection and Browser Security is the same
it never blocks anything for me, i've tested it with so many URLs from phishtank, openphish etc
it just doesn't block any of them.
It works for me, though it's strange that it doesn't for some of you. Updating the extension is not a deal-breaker because it still gets its updated data feed, same as an ad blocker, AFAIK.

Zartarra

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
I have the same problem on a test machine. The browser extension blocks only a small portion of the links. I tested it yesterday with 1000 links. Only 250 - 300 were blocked. I hope the can solve the issue. I like their extension.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
2 examples here, on VirusTotal, it says that Emsisoft is blocking these URLs.
however they're not blocked by any of Emsisoft modules ( Web Protection or Browser Security ) on my PC.
contacted with Support about it and they're on it, would be great if someone else can check this on their side to see if this is only me or it's Emsisoft
Code:
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/82242aa7c237beb32d06e4a60d34f31ee767564e82f728c91aef8a0ad4c05805
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/f18acf31fffb63b2d7c9441d694ef0526accae27c7c2b20f977ae61ce5f8c2a2

UPDATE: Emsisoft support response:

We apologize for this inconvenience. It's not an issue with your PC. Our developers found the culprit and they are currently working on a fix. As soon as the fix is tested and confirmed, we will release it to production.

Thank you for your understanding. If you have any questions in the meantime, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Solved now?
Today’s minor update to Emsisoft Anti-Malware 2022.12.1.11744. fixes the following issue:

• Issue with the ‘Emsisoft Browser Security’ extension, when installed.

Emsisoft

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Jul 27, 2013
Thanks for reviewing our software!

That's one of those moments when hell breaks loose in our development and QA teams because such anti-phishing results are totally unacceptable, not just for our customers but also for our own ambitions to provide highest quality protection.

So we immediately did a thorough analysis of our code and verified all steps and components that are at play here, to trace down the source of the detection problem. Ultimately, we located a serious logic problem that appears when using the Emsisoft Browser Security extension in combination with a certain policy setting in Emsisoft Anti-Malware. To be more specific, functionality was broken when none of the Content Filtering options were enabled.

We immediately released a hotfix update within a day that resolves the problem and improved our QA procedures to ensure that won't happen again. We would appreciate a re-test to confirm that it's fixed.

Thank you so much for pointing us to this issue and apologies to all affected users of the software!

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
Thank you so much for pointing us to this issue and apologies to all affected users of the software!
I wish Emsisoft support could get back to customers who still have an open Ticket for this and also they've been promised an update by agent handling their ticket

When a support says "I'll give you an update as soon as I've more info." user expect from agent to get back to him/her once the bug whatever it is got fixed. and it seems it got fixed for 5 days now.
it is of course nothing abnormal to expect since it is a common thing to expect in tickets that needs to get updated once they're resolved.

Ticket#5695585

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.