Battle Emsisoft Anti-Malware or Norton Internet Security 2017

Alp Berker

Level 1
Sep 5, 2016
My EAM license expired in 1 month and now i'm looking for an alternative.
My isp offers me norton for free and now i am thinking about to renew my eam license or take the free norton license.

How do you see this, how strong is norton in comparison?

Not an exact answer to your question but I'll rather go for Bitdefender Free + Cybereason Ransomfree

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If Emsisoft Anti-Malware is working for you and do not wish to switch, renew your license, otherwise there is no harm in trying Norton Security - as it's being offered inclusive(?) of your Internet package.

In recent years, Norton Security / Antivirus has been very good in terms of performance, protection and user satisfaction (based on personal experience). To make sure I am clear, there is nothing wrong with staying with your current security vendor, or wanting to change, but Norton is a good option for security and peace of mind.

Other options that exist may take alternate approaches on security such as Application Whitelisting, Default Deny, Sandbox and Virtualisation, however, these can take time to learn and understand for full effectiveness. So my advise there would be to, if interested, test them on a spare machine and see if it works for you.

As always, it's good practice to keep a backup of your data and operating system for recovery.

For now think about what YOU want. Thanks for reading. :)

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
My vote was "Other",
here's why:
  1. I agree with Spawn: "..think about what YOU want."
  2. Recently, the Emsisoft Internet Security subscription placed on the lap top I use most had expired. I was, and still am, quite happy with Emsisoft. Previously, I'd used (The U.S. American developed) Norton I.S. which remains another very reputable quality option, and a software I'd use again without hesitation. Both Emsisoft 'and' Norton have been spoken of by active testers, respectively, to have superior Firewall protection. The difference I'd observed (personally) is Emsisoft's behavioral blocker prompts more; and yet this is mainly because I've opted not to "always allow". Each are customizable, and I am happy with either as near to equally as possible. Furthermore, my wife is trying Norton I.S. for the very first time, and loves it's unobtrusive presence. In other words, She doesn't even know it's there!;)
  • Since Emsisoft, for me, is now expired, I've opted to try Kaspersky for the first time!o_O So far, I like it; but it is only day 2!:p
  • My vote: Go back to 1. (above):rolleyes:

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I say give Norton a try. If you're getting it free that gives you a chance to try it out for however long you choose and if you're unsatisfied with how it performs you can switch back to Emsisoft, or try out another product entirely.

Both offer fantastic protection but I personally feel that Norton's more user friendly. Emsisoft's behaviour blocking is top notch but from my experience it does result in a lot of pop-ups asking the user to make the final decision, which I feel hampers its ease of use.
Whichever you decide, there's no wrong choice here. They're both great products that are consistently highly rated.

Last edited:

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
if you wanna pick one of them go for Emsisoft

At last you can do custome build: ZemanaAM + SpyShelterFW and Shadow Defender
You no need real time behavior cuz shadow will rollback every time system to previous moment,
and you will use zemana to check if something broke ShadowMode but i didnt hear yets something broke SD :p
SSFW will protect you to not leak/harm your data in curent session :)

Last edited:

LukeNukesEm

Level 5
Verified
Sep 14, 2016
I chose other but you should use Emsisoft. Let me explain... Emsisoft vs Norton Emsisoft wins but does not include a firewall (unless you get internet security), while Norton does (I hope). BUT if you use Emsisoft with a firewall, that will be a killer. Windows firewall is okay, but honestly just use comodo. Comodo firewall is free and much more secure.

BugCode

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 9, 2017
As there somewhere forum jungle says; out of the box and more user friendly Norton.
But, there are a lot of people voted by Emsisoft, nor bad thing gus it really is very good product, u could do more customising and tweaking it top notch, all the way great BB. But my vote goes Kaspersky,ouh its wasn't there a pick, so i select Norton.

Have a great weekend & try to find out what i was talkin about, either i dunno. (Both are good choise you can not pick the bad product.)

- BC

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Norton with its improved SONAR has been performing well in MalwareHub (again, take this as another piece of reference only) and it has started providing its 'Machine Learning' module on cloud for VT.
This won't directly benefit the Norton Security product; however this will more likely improve the detection power (signature and heur base) being pushed to the Norton home products against some latest malware analysed by ML.
I am not saying that it's better than Emsisoft. EAM is already talked about above and it's awesome, probably better.
But considering that you're getting it without a cost, Norton should be a great choice too.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.