Compare list
Emsisoft Anti-Malware
G-Data Antivirus/Internet Security
F-Secure Safe

saferino

Thread author
Jul 16, 2019
Hello friends.
Emsisoft user here. My subscription is coming to an end and I am doubting about continuing with Emsisoft or jumping into another security application due to their withdrawal from tests.

I have lately heard good things about G-Data, though it is, as Emsisoft, disappeared from AVTests and other places. F-Secure, on the other hand, seems solid yet I have read some people saying it has some weak spots. Not a huge fan on it's UI (neither a fan of Emsisoft's new UI).

I am leaning more towards G-Data at the moment but I am open to any of these or even going with one of the big ones, such as Karspersky, though I don't feel comfortable with it (privacy concerns that may make no sense, but the same reason I'll never use IObits software).

I'm a conscious user, so I am more worried about detection than prevention (already block hosts, have security extensions in my browser and so on).
A firewall is not a must to me, currently running c4wf, though I guess anything is better than this one.

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
G data -> Privacy driven, dual engine, Multiple pro active shields, Dis infection and roll back capable.
Cons: So so anti phishing.

F secure -> Avira's signatures, Deep guard is reactive, Advanced network protection is good
Cons: Poor anti phishing, No dis infection/ rollback/own firewall

Emsisoft: Haven't recently used, so can't comment.
My choice : G data > emsisoft > F secure
G-Data.jpg

Last edited:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Personally: I feel Emsisoft is a good AV added to the fact the company has ethics & great service, but from your post seems you need a change. I gave G-data a try just for fun a few weeks ago on this pretty fast PC with 16 GIG RAM & It's was the only AV I've used recently that noticeably slowed the PC down, big time, if you do opt for G-data get a trial & see how it runs on your kit, for me it's a no, no.

F-Secure for me is still due I assume still it's over zealous attitude to any other AM products on the same PC including using Shadow Defender, there are ways around this but I'm not willing to keep trying to work around this so it's not on my possibles - One not on your list & still my favorite is Norton, a conclusion after trying just about everything - it's got a great interface & so easy to configure for me on balance it's the best for me, does well in tests too, got a few quirks on install but forgivable. Happy hunting ! :):)

Last edited:

alakazam

Level 9
Verified
Mar 25, 2014
Neither. Out of the three, I'd go for F-Secure, just because I think that Avira's engine is better than BitDefender's. But I think you should try Avira itself. Or Norton.

Reactions: saferino

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
With safe browsing habits any of these three will get the job done. Personally I think G-Data is better with Bitdefender's signature + its own signature + DeepRay but you should try the trial version to check if it slows your PC down.
Like you said, also consider trying out other AVs like Kaspersky, Norton, Eset.

bob974

Level 4
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
Even if Emsisoft has disappeared from the tests, this antivirus is still good. It's an excellent choice. Concerning D-DATA I put it aside because of problems with NORD-VPN. F-SECURE is also a very good choice.
My preference goes with Emsisoft, I have never been disappointed.

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
Personally, for some time I used Emsisoft as well as F-Secure both programs are good and meet my requirements.
I was happy with their work, but the licenses ended.
I am currently using Kaspersky Free and I can not complain so far.
Indeed, dispose of other possibilities to secure your system with other antiviruses such as Kasperks Free, Avira, Norton, BitDefender, their so many colors and choices on the market.
choose the one that best suits you and your equipment and its capabilities.
I have never used G-Data so I can not say anything about it.

Reactions: Cortex and saferino

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
The three product are great, I believe. I would go with F-Secure for the following reasons.
1- Great signatures (Thanks to Avira engine)
2- Banking protection (no available in Emsisoft)
3- Very light and does not slow down the PC
4- Great behavioural protection
5- Cheap licenses

* F-Secure is the balanced suite between the other two.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Other :D
F-secure do't have FireWall
Emsisoft use BugDefender Engine
So I go with Other & G-Data
Try to test Norton , Dr.Web :)

Last edited:

davisd

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2019
If you decide to go with the G Data Internet Security, I can provide you a new 120 trial day lic for it with your own personal account. Best option for you to chose though, would be to trial them all for 30 days and decide yourself, what you gonna get here will be just personal opinions which is better. If you are as you said "conscious" user, chose the one which you like the most and has the least system impact on your pc, without trying them, you won't know. There are people who have used G Data/Panda Dome and end up with K7, you get the point.. Good luck. ;)

Last edited:

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
I agree that some posts here were based on personal opinion but I believe each and every one in MT does agree that G-Data is the heaviest among the other two options. While it does offer better protection than the other two, it is heavy, really heavy. The best way is to try the 3 products and see for yourself. At the end it is your system.

Nagisa

Level 7
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
I have never used G-Data too, but heard that it slows the PC down. If I ever would give my PCs resources to a (relatively heavy) security product, that would be Kaspersky. I think its protection outweighs the resource usage.
But G-Data? I'm not sure because I haven't seen much test.

I guess, it's better to protect different attack vectors, while keeping total resource consumption at least as possible.

saferino

Thread author
Jul 16, 2019
Thank you all for your input.
Was surprised at the norton recommendations, as this has always been a no-no for me. I remember back in 2005 it was horrible, or at least that's what I thought about it back then.
I got all your recommendations in mind and will proceed to test all of them in VMs with trials.
Not the best way to test performance, but a good way to see what I feel more comfortable with.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.