Emsisoft Antimalware Suggestions

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
This is the first time I have installed any Emsisoft software. And I must say impressed. Clean software with no bloats & toolbars. Just 2 processes, light & excellent protection.

I have got 2 licences from the promo mentioned here & planning to install EAM on 2 average users laptop here.

Some queries & suggestions needed---

1. Is EAM suitable for average users?
2. Active Surf Protection - Privacy Risks - is set to "Dont Block", should I change this & to what?
3. Privacy - Privacy & Anti-Malware Network - Nothing should be disabled here as its the Cloud protection of EAM, right?
4. File Guard - PUP Detections - is set to "Alert", should I change this to "Quarantine with notification"?
5. Does EAM scans HTTPS?

Any other suggestions?

H

hjlbx

Thread author
1. Is EAM suitable for average users?
2. Active Surf Protection - Privacy Risks - is set to "Dont Block", should I change this & to what?
3. Privacy - Privacy & Anti-Malware Network - Nothing should be disabled here as its the Cloud protection of EAM, right?
4. File Guard - PUP Detections - is set to "Alert", should I change this to "Quarantine with notification"?
5. Does EAM scans HTTPS?

Any other suggestions?
  1. Perfect.
  2. Block Silently - otherwise it will generate alerts for all the CDN servers that a webpage connects to when you visit.
  3. Participate - Emsi collects very little infos.
  4. Yes. This is auto-quarantine and alert will be small in lower right corner of screen. Most convenient - no user decision required.
  5. No. Emsi uses domain-level blocking. In other words, if a single IP address on a server is bad, Emsi blocks all IP addresses hosted on that server.
Suggestions...

Just keep using it... everyone will be able to figure it out. It is best overall soft for novice in my opinion.

If you run into issues, then post on the Emsi support forum. In all likelihood, Fabian Wosar will be the one to address any issues... he's Head of Development. The forum response is very slow, but extremely knowledgeable... so use it.

If anybody gets BSOD don't freak out. It's OK. System is not damaged like many people think. Just post on support forum... they will get you all sorted out.

OK?

Best Regards,

HJLBX

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
  1. Perfect.
  2. Block Silently - otherwise it will generate alerts for all the CDN servers that a webpage connects to when you visit.
  3. Participate - Emsi collects very little infos.
  4. Yes. This is auto-quarantine and alert will be small in lower right corner of screen. Most convenient - no user decision required.
  5. No. Emsi uses domain-level blocking. In other words, if a single IP address on a server is bad, Emsi blocks all IP addresses hosted on that server.
HJLBX

2. Blocking could break sites?
5. Good to know EAM doesn't scans HTTPS. Security wise not scanning HTTPS is good, right?

The installer is around 160 MB.
Can you tell me the initial update size?
Further updates are small or big?

I haven't updated coz just trying it with Rollback snapshot.

Reactions: Logethica
H

hjlbx

Thread author
2. Blocking could break sites?
5. Good to know EAM doesn't scans HTTPS. Security wise not scanning HTTPS is good, right?

The installer is around 160 MB.
Can you tell me the initial update size?
Further updates are small or big?

I haven't updated coz just trying it with Rollback snapshot.

2. Not likely, but if it does, can remove block.
3. It means it doesn't slow down your browsing speed. In my experience it was good protection.

First update can be big... but you should have seen that already when evaluating it with Rollback. Sometimes can take a few minutes.

Emsi distributes their updates via CDN servers so updates are available all over world in different time zones...

You'll be all right...

HJLBX

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
So Emsisoft uses Bitdefender signs. Is it like other vendors using Bd signs i.e not latest updates & quite a few sign version or even a day behind or Emsi is with latest Bd signs?

Offline database updates available?

H

hjlbx

Thread author
one question...should install a firewall or not?

You might want to consider adding BiniSoft's Windows Firewall Control. It provides outbound network notifications for Windows firewall.

$10. Lifetime License, unlimited installs. Whale of a deal...

When you first install it, it is a pain because you will get a lot of alerts until you've created all your rules. After all that is done, it is quiet until you install new softs...

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
H

hjlbx

Thread author
So I can update EAM on one laptop & transfer the updates to other laptop. I should disable self protection & after copying updates restart the system. To transfer updates I should copy only "signature" folder to other laptop, right?

And laptop is Win 7 64, EAM is installed in program files 86, is this correct?

Yes.

Install should be C:\Program Files\Emsisoft and data C:\ProgramData\EmsisoftAntiMalware - if I remember correctly.

Emsi installs 64 bit on W7 64 - so should find EAM folder under Program Files.

HJLBX

D

Deleted member 21043

Thread author
Hello,

Since I was too late to view this thread, I will not answer the questions since there is no point in me re-answering them. Other members above (@Secondmineboy @hjlbx have already answered them). Instead, I'll give you my overral opinion on Emsisoft products.

In my opinon, you should keep Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Based on my testing, it's a great product - many others will agree with me on this one. They have 2 engines for Real-Time protection and the on-demand scanner (their own engine and BitDefender engine) which will help catch out threats, they have a decent Behaviour Blocker to protect you from zero-day threats, and to ice the cake from the top they have the web protection available to you.

One note from me: since they use 2 engines, false positive detections will be higher. Be cautious you check the detections or at least read the detections to make sure you do not accidentally quarantine a false positive detected application which is really safe.

Cheers. ;)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
Yes.

Install should be C:\Program Files\Emsisoft and data C:\ProgramData\EmsisoftAntiMalware - if I remember correctly.

Emsi installs 64 bit on W7 64 - so should find EAM folder under Program Files.

HJLBX
Its installed under program files 86 on Win 7 64?
It was default install i.e I didn't changed anything during install.

H

hjlbx

Thread author

Then that's where it is... I just couldn't remember.

arslan ejaz

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 5, 2015
I also got the key from promo and when i installed it emsisoft gave me a lot of false positives but i customize its settings and false positives stopped and it also uses about 25k-30k ram and when scanning about 55k-60k so it is not a ram eater so i think you should keep this software and it has a decent protection as @kram7750 already said it uses bitdefender and their own engine. :)

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015

I have ever installed EIS on Win7 64, and it is actually installed in the program files x86 folder.

D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
I went through many posts in Emsisoft forum & to me it looks like Emsisoft is more suitable to advanced users than average users. Emsisoft BB does generates quite a few different types of popups like lite HIPS so it seems Emsisoft is not comfortably suitable for average users.

And as mentioned got the key from promo mentioned here. Emsisoft staff mentioned here they block the licences for users who get them with proxies etc... as those licences are specific for the country mentioned.

D

Deleted member 21043

Thread author
I went through many posts in Emsisoft forum & to me it looks like Emsisoft is more suitable to advanced users than average users. Emsisoft BB does generates quite a few different types of popups like lite HIPS so it seems Emsisoft is not comfortably suitable for average users.

And as mentioned got the key from promo mentioned here. Emsisoft staff mentioned here they block the licences for users who get them with proxies etc... as those licences are specific for the country mentioned.
If you want a more user-friendly decision then, what about looking into ESET or Kaspersky? I think they are also quite good as I think Emsisoft are good.

Although, only you can decide what Antivirus software should be used on your system, try experimenting with different security software. With care taken whilst browsing and downloading and the correct knowledge, you can avoid infections with just Windows Defender, or even no security software installed. (although I don't recommend that unless you know what you are doing).

Reactions: Secondmineboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.