Emsisoft Antimalware test against 1000 Recent samples....

kC77

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
Was asked to do a quick test, so here it is, 1000+ recent samples from the past 10days, many have completely failed this test
Bit defender Free, Kaspersky Free Cloud, Sophos Home, ESET AV Norton etc were totally compromised

Anyway with bit defender free failing so badly, I was a bit concerned for this as Emsisoft uses bit defenders signatures, but quite the opposite! Emsisoft did very well...although during the test some malware was running using CPU usage briefly, but then i guess killed off by the behaviour monitor. there were also after all samples ran, 2 odd processes left over (one of which was suspended)
emsi-postscan.png

emsi1.png

emsi2.png

Ater a reboot, there was nothing running on startup, a emsi scan came back as clean.... Sophos scan and clean came back with a temp file.....
emsi-leftovers.png

Norton Power eraser came back with nothing

I think overall it did well... the system survived, and after a reboot nothing was running on startup.... I would of been slightly concerned that malware got to run even for a brief amount of time using cpu (you'll see in the test a few things got to run briefly) .... but the reactive protections did their job by the look of it.

I prefer a proactive / ZERO execution at all result rather than a "let it run and be reactive"....
Emsisoft did a good job though, this is after all a very unrealistic test.

Download gif of the test (78.7mb)

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
After Emsisoft stopped participating in paid-for commercial AV tests, I started to wonder about its effectiveness. You know, I kind of feel relieved Emsi can stand up and deliver against this more brutal kind of onslaught.

I know Herr Fabian Wosar is still around (though not active much). Hopefully he's still cracking the whip for Emsi somewhere in London-town or wherever else he may be. :)

kC77

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 16, 2021
After Emsisoft stopped participating in paid-for commercial AV tests, I started to wonder about its effectiveness. You know, I kind of feel relieved Emsi can stand up and deliver against this more brutal kind of onslaught.

I know Herr Fabian Wosar is still around (though not active much). Hopefully he's still cracking the whip for Emsi somewhere in London-town or wherever else he may be. :)
Yeh I think its an excellent product!
Even if you dont use it as your main protection, the free emergency toolkit is an awesome second opinion scanner.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.