App Review Emsisoft Internet Security 12 Review

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

How long should my AV Test videos be?

• 20+ Minutes

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 15 Minutes

Votes: 21 40.4%
  • 10 Minutes

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Less than 10 Minutes if possible

Votes: 20 38.5%

• Total voters
M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
@MalwareBlockerYT

I might be strange but I like reading or hearing about what the reviewer feels about the products and their opinions. You are like the spokesperson giving an honest review based off your findings and testing and mostly I feel that's what i watch such said video. Most short videos I have watched are more like commercials or ads, and just sites off what the products does. Ever watch an Microsoft Office review video, LoL? those are like commercials!
I don't think that's strange, I do too :)

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
Thnx for this test @MalwareBlockerYT ;) Nice video too, enjoyable. Concerning Emsisoft performance, a bit disappointing. Phishing and PUPs protection need some work. At least, i think, it should have performed better concerning PUPs protection. In version 12 PUPs protection is also one of the main improvements.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Thnx for this test @MalwareBlockerYT ;) Nice video too, enjoyable. Concerning Emsisoft performance, a bit disappointing. Phishing and PUPs protection need some work. At least, i think, it should have performed better concerning PUPs protection. In version 12 PUPs protection is also one of the main improvements.
No problem! Thanks for watching :D I agree I was shocked by the Phishing/Malicious URL protection because I thought it would get at least 7/10 on each. In terms of PUPs it did pretty well but you see the files I executed in that folder are most likely PUPs to us but in other countries they could be popular programs, etc - in this case Emsisoft shouldn't necessarily class them as PUPs because it may anger a community/region. This is of course just an example & in that folder they may well have been all PUPs which were just missed by Emsisoft - it really is difficult to say.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Thanks much for the video @MalwareBlockerYT! :)

One thing I'd like to add: Don't go by time, it's meaningless really. 30 minutes can just be as boring as they can be interesting. Use the time the content requires and dense it up. Do NOT try to comment on stuff while you're doing it. You're bound to get distracted because you're concentrating on what you're doing. And you're supposed to. Make a roadmap that gives you a structure for every test. Adhere to it and cut out the fluff.

After cutting the footage, make annotations and put marks where you need them. Watch the whole thing and think about what you'd like to point out. Then record it while you're watching it and don't have to worry about operating your system.

I know this is time-consuming but you'll end up with a high quality clip that everybody enjoys watching—no matter how long it takes.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
Thanks much for the video @MalwareBlockerYT! :)

One thing I'd like to add: Don't go by time, it's meaningless really. 30 minutes can just be as boring as they can be interesting. Use the time the content requires and dense it up. Do NOT try to comment on stuff while you're doing it. You're bound to get distracted because you're concentrating on what you're doing. And you're supposed to. Make a roadmap that gives you a structure for every test. Adhere to it and cut out the fluff.

After cutting the footage, make annotations and put marks where you need them. Watch the whole thing and think about what you'd like to point out. Then record it while you're watching it and don't have to worry about operating your system.

I know this is time-consuming but you'll end up with a high quality clip that everybody enjoys watching—no matter how long it takes.
Thanks for the tip :) So you think I should record the voice over after the video?

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Thread author
You're most welcome! :)

Yes, I would definately record the voice after cutting the video after making sure you know exactly what you want to say. You won't be as distracted and spontaneous pop-ups and stuff won't throw you off. :)
That is a very good point :) Maybe I could even write a script if I have time! I will try this next weekend when I next record ;)

RmG152

Level 12
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
I agree with the point about not using VPN software within the VM itself but use it on the host instead.

I think it's better to use on another VM with direct connection, not shared / manager on main host (main host security soft, can block connections, can leak some information and other things)

"VPN server" Direct connection to router (on VM soft you can select it) "Test machine" bridget directly to "VPN server"

W

Wave

Thread author
Emsisoft Internet Security is Windows firewall dependant. Damn, uninstalled it and installed Emsisoft Anti-Malware. :)
I was under the impression they had developed their own firewall, which would explain why they load their own custom-made device drivers for the firewall component. If possible please let me know where you heard this information from, because I highly doubt it is true - that doesn't mean it's your fault, you could have just been misinformed by someone else, but if possible link me to the source where you found out this information.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ana_Filiz

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 23, 2016
I was under the impression they had developed their own firewall, which would explain why they load their own custom-made device drivers for the firewall component. If possible please let me know where you heard this information from, because I highly doubt it is true - that doesn't mean it's your fault, you could have just been misinformed by someone else, but if possible link me to the source where you found out this information.

I installed it and it told me that a significant service cannot start and i have windows firewall disabled and so EIS could not start. When i opened Google Chrome (while on the screen was that warning) it gave me a nice BSOD. Below, my crash dump analysis:

On Mon 28.11.2016 23:55:27 your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\112816-21309-01.dmp
uptime: 00:03:12
This was probably caused by the following module: fwwfp732.sys (fwwfp732+0x2DB2) <------ this is emsisoft firewall engine :)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000000A (0x0, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFFFFF8308690C)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: fwwfp732.sys .
Google query: fwwfp732.sys CUSTOM_ERROR

I knew it before i read the crash dump, now my EAV works good. ;)

Last edited:
W

Wave

Thread author
I installed it and it told me that a significant service cannot start and i have windows firewall disabled and so EIS could not start. When i opened Google Chrome (while on the screen was that warning) it gave me a nice BSOD.
That doesn't mean it relies on Windows Firewall, if it relied on Windows Firewall then they would notify the user that it needs to be enabled to work properly instead of just crashing the system. The crash occurred because there was a bug in the device driver, since BSOD crashes occur due to a problem in kernel-mode (and as you pointed out, it was the fwwfp732.sys device driver according to the crash dump analysis).

Many people successfully use Emsisoft Internet Security with the Firewall protection enabled while Windows Firewall is disabled. I recommend you contact Emsisoft on their forum or via this link to receive assistance in using EIS.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
@Wave
I'm not quite sure, but if I remember correctly, it was Fabian, himself, who said that Emsisoft's firewall is basically just an enhanced Windows Firewall. He even said that one can just use EAM with Windows Firewall, instead of EIS, if firewall is the deciding factor. Maybe, the firewall component uses Windows Firewall's rules or internal algorithms. Unless, they changed this stance when they released later versions.

W

Wave

Thread author
@Wave
I'm not quite sure, but if I remember correctly, it was Fabian, himself, who said that Emsisoft's firewall is basically just an enhanced Windows Firewall. He even said that one can just use EAM with Windows Firewall, instead of EIS, if firewall is the deciding factor. Maybe, the firewall component uses Windows Firewall's rules or internal algorithms. Unless, they changed this stance when they released later versions.
You could be right, but I am not sure, I am just saying that I think there are higher chances of it not using Windows Firewall and that a BSOD crash doesn't necessarily automatically mean it does use Windows Firewall. However, I did just find on this blog the following quote: NEW: Emsisoft Internet Security

Advantages in comparison to Windows firewall:
Easier and quicker to use, with the ability to evaluate the credibility of programs in a global context.

So maybe it does really use Windows Firewall, I find it strange for them to just mention Windows Firewall on that blog post out of the blue. That being said, you can use the product without Windows Firewall being active, and they do have their own device drivers for the firewall component, so I am not sure.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.