Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajay123

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 12, 2014
Hello guys,
I've won the Emsisoft IS giveaway conducted by MalwareTips and got a key...I was using ESET SS...I changed to EMSISOFT IS ystrday...After installing the latest version EMSISOFT IS i startd getting BSOD errors and my lappy restarted several times..I dont kw whether its the problem with my laptop or Emsisoft IS...I hav installed ESS again and now it works fine..I'm disappointed with EMSISOFT IS..

Reactions: tallorder

sid_16

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 19, 2013
I've seen no BSOD in my windows7 PC earlier when I used EAM & OA but not tested EIS though I won few. :D And I regarded EAM & OA as a best security next to ESS.Don't know what might have caused BSOD in your laptop. The experts here can give you some clue.

H

hjlbx

Hello guys,
I've won the Emsisoft IS giveaway conducted by MalwareTips and got a key...I was using ESET SS...I changed to EMSISOFT IS ystrday...After installing the latest version EMSISOFT IS i startd getting BSOD errors and my lappy restarted several times..I dont kw whether its the problem with my laptop or Emsisoft IS...I hav installed ESS again and now it works fine..I'm disappointed with EMSISOFT IS..

Hello Ajay123,

Did you happen to notice the name of any driver or the BSOD code (e.g. DRIVER_UNLOADED_WITHOUT_CANCELLING_PENDING_OERATIONS)?

Do you have Virtual Box installed?

You may need a Microsoft hotfix (verify that you need it before installing and install the correct version - 32 or 64 bit):

KB2958399

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/2958399

Other than that at this moment I would suggest you register at the Emsi forum and post a thread under EIS. The support there is excellent and my experience is that your will issue will likely be resolved. Just to let you know although it make take a few days as support is available in the forum only...some back-and-forth comms.

If you choose to do so I would report the BSOD details (on W8 can be found in Action Center > Maintenance > Reliability Center > check date of BSOD and select red Xs > click on Windows crash in list).

Alternatively you can search the Emsi forums for BSOD/Blue Screen of Death/etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
Same here (no virtual box on my computer installed). I immediately uninstalled it.
Better stay with Eset or if you like Emsisoft install Emsisoft Antimalware as it is more stable without BSOD.
As far as i know there is no any official fix from Emsisoft at the moment.
As mentioned above please register to Emsisoft forums,but i would suggest you ask if it is possible to ''downgrade'' from Internet security, to Antimalware version.
If extra firewall is really important to you i would suggest you use a free one (Outpost, Private Firewall, etc...)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
H

hjlbx

TIP: For anyone unfamiliar with WhoCrashed - Very useful tool, portable and the free version does everything you need. Check it out.

WhoCrashed is not always accurate. More often than not the Emsisoft debugger will indicate something different than the value returned by WhoCrashed.

If you post your issue on the Emsi forum a staff member will tell you what they need.

In my experience this will be your best bet if you wish to continue to use EIS; typically Emsi staff will identify the issue and then offer a fix that works.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
I also won an Emsisoft IS license here in MT giveaway and i want to make 2 suggestions.

1) Try disabling the Firewall from IS because this the only important thing added in EIS in comparison to EAM.
Since EAM is not causing any BSOD maybe the new Emsisoft Firewall is causing the problem.
p.s.: I won the license but i didn't install EIS so i don't know if the above suggestion works.

2) I contacted Emsisoft support and told them that since EIS offers only the Firewall as an extra important component, i would like to use my key to install EAM but they told me that this key is only for EIS.
But if i really want to downgrade to EAM they could change the key since i would send them back the winning EIS key ( probably to check if the key is valid ).
I did sent them the key and after exchanging few e-mails they changed the key from EIS to EAM and now i have EAM installed in my system with no BSOD ;).

I hope i have helped:)

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Emsisoft will probably get a dozen emails now, all asking to trade-in EIS keys to EAM keys :D
Probably you are right:D
But i had to mention this option since Emsisoft support helped me by just exchanging a few e-mails;)
I really hope they will do the same with other members that want to change their license:)
p.s.: I must say that in those e-mails i explained why i wanted an EAM license and not EIS one.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Without Oracle Virtual Box the above Hot fix will fix the BSOD problems.This seems to be a Windows 7 only problem as I have EIS on Windows 8.1 and no BSOD issues.If you have Oracle VB then uninstalling it along with the driver will also fix the BSOD problem. EIS 9 was fine on my Windows 7 without the hotfix & without uninstalling VB until the last program update.Hopefully this will be fixed

Cain

Level 4
Verified
Dec 19, 2013
I must say that in those e-mails i explained why i wanted an EAM license and not EIS one.

I think they will be understanding. Especially if it seems to be a common issue, I was lucky enough to receive a EIS license as well... but as I still have just over a month left with KIS Pure 3.0, I haven't tried installing EIS yet. Not sure if I will be in the same position, but I think exterminator20's suggestion will apply to me which will be helpful for later on.

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
Cain i also believe that they will be understanding and since their support is great they will help other people too.
As for you i really hope and believe that you won't have any problems with EIS.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Their support is one of the best.As long as you don't have or want to continue using Oracle Virtual Box then installing the Hotfix will eliminate the BSOD problem.

H

hjlbx

Probably you are right:D
But i had to mention this option since Emsisoft support helped me by just exchanging a few e-mails;)
I really hope they will do the same with other members that want to change their license:)
p.s.: I must say that in those e-mails i explained why i wanted an EAM license and not EIS one.

tonibalas' experience is the norm when dealing with Emsi.

Emsi is reasonably accomodating with license swap requests as they are very customer focused. :)

Any request for a license switch should be sent via e-mail rather than the Emsi forum as there is personal/private info to be sent back-and-forth.

Ajay123

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Nov 12, 2014
Thanks for your help guys....Im currently using windows 8.1 with the latest updates installed..i've uninstalled EMSISOFT IS and currently using ESS 8 which is working fine...anyhow i've posted in EMSISOFT support forums regarding this problem..Hope they will resolve this :(

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.