Advice Request Emsisoft Memory Optimization option

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adz.

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Dec 15, 2016
without the memory optimization, emsisoft hits above 200mb working set, but with the option enabled, it stays below 20mb.
it also mentions "if you experience performance issues while using this, please disable it" what are the side affects?

cheers

Reactions: frogboy
D

Deleted member 178

without the memory optimization, emsisoft hits above 200mb working set, but with the option enabled, it stays below 20mb.
it also mentions "if you experience performance issues while using this, please disable it" what are the side affects?
modern AV use the RAM to store their signatures, so scans are faster and access to disk is limited hence the AV seems "light" , this approach is used by ESET, EAM and others.

Old hardware don't have enough RAM, so EAM allow (via this option) to store signature on the HDD, freeing RAM for the OS'background processes. Side effects are slower access since the AV need to read the HDD instead of the RAM.

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
Please keep in mind that RAM is there to be used. Unused RAM is wasted RAM. So if your system has it, use it!

i do not find any sense to that phrase, much less for computers with little ram, the programs must be efficient when consuming ram and able to release charge when not in use, emsisoft is not an editing suite nor any game to justify that consumption.

D

Deleted member 178

check your I/O read/writes bytes...this is what make a system crawl.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
i do not find any sense to that phrase, much less for computers with little ram, the programs must be efficient when consuming ram and able to release charge when not in use, emsisoft is not an editing suite nor any game to justify that consumption.
If your system does not have enough RAM, then yes, you are right. You must minimize RAM consumption. That is exactly why Emsi has the option you are asking about.
Otherwise, it is better to let your AV use the RAM it needs to do the job smoothly.

D

Deleted member 178

Why It’s Good That Your Computer’s RAM Is Full

remember RAM usage isn't static, Windows will automatically free/reallocate RAM for the active process.

is this disk usage?

Use Task Manager To Identify Excessive Disk Thrashing In Windows

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
EAM's memory optimization is fraud

when it's checked, EAM pushes memory blocks from physical memory/RAM to virtual memory/pagefile, which is basically the same as reading the database from your hard drive but still increases memory usage

It's bad for users who disable pagefile because there is nowhere to be pushed. Everything stays in RAM, it makes no difference

EAM always consumes 400-600 MBs of RAM => too much even with 8GB

D

Deleted member 178

but still increases memory usage
just installed it for the sake of testing, with Memory Optimlization enabled and the PC rebooted , the service RAM usage dropped from 300Mb to 50-100mb.

mem opt.jpg

on idle , i even reach 10-20Mb

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
just installed it for the sake of testing, with Memory Optimlization enabled and the PC rebooted , the services RAM usage dropped from 300Mb to 50-100mb.

View attachment 187676

on idle , i even reach 10-20Mb
please check the committed memory
working set, sometimes private bytes, is similar to the value reported in windows task manager and it's not everything

D

Deleted member 65228

if you scroll down to the comment section, you'll see the first top rated comment, talks about how heavy EAM can be on resources, i mean i've noticed a huge performance drop since using EAM (previous AV ESET) eset was so much efficient, didn't even notice a single drop in performance tbh
ESET and Emsisoft are two completely separate products and they both have their own protection components. Performance will differ between products and environments and many factors come into play such as the available system resources and how your system is used. There's no point in comparing them like they are the same.

Generally speaking, you're going to want your memory to be used up otherwise it will be wasted memory as others have said; your memory is supposed to be used up otherwise there'd be no point in it. Increased disk usage is likely to cause more performance reduction most of the time, so allowing Emsisoft to keep signatures in memory will probably be beneficial depending on your system resources. If you have at-least 4GB RAM, unless you really need the memory to yourself, I'd just let Emsisoft store them in memory.

If you like Emsisoft and it is working well for you then keep using it, and if you want to switch... then switch. This is why free 30-day trials are important and should be used, because it is always important to ensure a product is right for you and will work well on your environment with your setup.

D

Deleted member 178

please check the committed memory
working set, sometimes private bytes, is similar to the value reported in windows task manager and it's not everything

a2service.exe

unticked (no optimization, RAM is used): WS (150mb), CS (385mb)
ticked (optimized, RAM isn't used, pagefile is used): WS (45mb), CS (680mb)

normal.

I always shake my head when people rate performance based on RAM usage rather than CPU and IO R/W(irrelevant on an SSD too)
+1

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I always shake my head when people rate performance based on RAM usage rather than CPU and IO R/W(irrelevant on an SSD too)
because when you have =<8GB and you play games, you will see how much RAM you need

the more memory and pagefile usage when the system is fully loaded, the more laggy and FPS drop you would have. More pagefile usage while gaming also means faster disk degradation

EAM, regardless of the memory optimization mode on/off, always gave me BSODs while playing FIFA18 due to out of memory
never happen with any other AV

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.