Advice Request Emsisoft Memory Optimization option

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

the more memory and pagefile usage when the system is fully loaded, the more laggy and FPS drop you would have. More pagefile usage while gaking also means faster disk degradation
As ex-Hardcore Gamer (where each FPS matters), i can't imagine gaming with a real-time AV running in the background.
i even had a dedicated system where all unneeded applications and services are disabled/removed, just a barebone OS and the game installed.

Reactions: amico81 and mekelek

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
As ex-Hardcore Gamer (where each FPS matters), i can't imagine gaming with a real-time AV running in the background.
i even had a dedicated system where all unneeded applications and services are disabled/removed, just a barebone OS and the game installed.
I'm not a hardcore gamer. I only have 1 laptop with GT650M and play some games in free time. The laptop is for all purposes

Also 1 more bug of EAM is when I closed it -> played games -> turned it back on, it always said the shields couldn't be enabled -> only a reboot could solve the problem because I read all the solutions on different forums and tried but all failed
The problem happened after emsisoft said they fixed it

D

Deleted member 178

Also 1 more bug of EAM is when I closed it -> played games -> turned it back on, it always said the shields couldn't be enabled -> only a reboot could solve the problem because I read all the solutions on different forums and tried but all failed
The problem happened after emsisoft said they fixed it
Report to them again.

Reactions: mekelek

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
because when you have =<8GB and you play games, you will see how much RAM you need

the more memory and pagefile usage when the system is fully loaded, the more laggy and FPS drop you would have. More pagefile usage while gaming also means faster disk degradation

EAM, regardless of the memory optimization mode on/off, always gave me BSODs while playing FIFA18 due to out of memory
never happen with any other AV
I guess saying that in 2018, 8GB of RAM is like standard, would be correct if RAM prices weren't in the state they are now.
Adding more RAM is easier than replacing your CPU and potentially Motherboard tho.

nowadays if you're a hardcore gamer, your rig will never hinder under any AV.

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
EAM's memory optimization is fraud

when it's checked, EAM pushes memory blocks from physical memory/RAM to virtual memory/pagefile, which is basically the same as reading the database from your hard drive but still increases memory usage

It's bad for users who disable pagefile because there is nowhere to be pushed. Everything stays in RAM, it makes no difference

EAM always consumes 400-600 MBs of RAM => too much even with 8GB
just installed it for the sake of testing, with Memory Optimlization enabled and the PC rebooted , the service RAM usage dropped from 300Mb to 50-100mb.

View attachment 187676

on idle , i even reach 10-20Mb

Please don't put image from windows Taskmanager for testimony, doesnt bring total info, Please use other tool like Process hacker, ProcessLasso, Systernal Process Explorer and you will see the diference.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I guess saying that in 2018, 8GB of RAM is like standard, would be correct if RAM prices weren't in the state they are now.
Adding more RAM is easier than replacing your CPU and potentially Motherboard tho.
the laptop is too old so it can't catch up with gaming anymore. I have no plan to upgrade it. I will think about buying a mid-range gaming desktop but the price now is still unreasonable

Report to them again.
it doesn't matter. My trial has expired and my 1-year giveaway license can't be activated anymore

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
because when you have =<8GB and you play games, you will see how much RAM you need

the more memory and pagefile usage when the system is fully loaded, the more laggy and FPS drop you would have. More pagefile usage while gaming also means faster disk degradation

EAM, regardless of the memory optimization mode on/off, always gave me BSODs while playing FIFA18 due to out of memory
never happen with any other AV
Does it happen with other AVs which consume a similar amount of RAM also?

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
their is no other AV with that much RAM usage afaik
kaspersky uses a lot but nowhere near EAM
never have had any problem
So you haven't tried it with BullGuard, GData, Sophos, ZoneAlarm then? :whistle:

Seriously, I think that's something unrelated to RAM usage by a program is related to not releasing/flushing the memory, consequently causing BSOD. Those times are gone now... (XP era)

Reactions: brambedkar59

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
BullGuard, GData, Sophos, ZoneAlarm
I don't like them so I don't want to install :D
I prefer more well-known AVs, free AVs or paid ones which I can use more at least 1 year for free

I do get BSOD because I disabled virtual memory => my laptop works so much faster and smoother without it and it prolongs HDD lifespan

Games also works better, faster, except when there is out-of-mem. condition

the BSOD clearly stated it was due to memory problem, I also checked the mem. usage 1 min before it crashed, ram usage was really high and the system was forced to terminate windows's core processes -> BSODs

that's why I hate AVs with high mem. usage :cool:

Chimaira

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jan 5, 2018
I think in 2018 being upset at a security software using 400-600mb of ram is a little silly.

I get that having 8GB of ram cuts it close with gaming in all but honestly 8GB isn't even enough to play some of the latest games anymore.

A lot of other AV companies use tricks to hide the actual amount of memory they are using I believe.

Plain and simple you gotta use what is best for your system.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I don't like them so I don't want to install :D
I prefer more well-known AVs, free AVs or paid ones which I can use more at least 1 year for free

I do get BSOD because I disabled virtual memory => my laptop works so much faster and smoother without it and it prolongs HDD lifespan

Games also works better, faster, except when there is out-of-mem. condition

the BSOD clearly stated it was due to memory problem, I also checked the mem. usage 1 min before it crashed, ram usage was really high and the system was forced to terminate windows's core processes -> BSODs
Probably because it couldn't be pushed to pagefile, but strangely, it shouldn't let the app level code to crash the system. It would crash the app instead of the system as Windows just stops allocating memory for the app asking more.

Reactions: Evjl's Rain
D

Deleted member 178

Please don't put image from windows Taskmanager for testimony, doesnt bring total info, Please use other tool like Process hacker, ProcessLasso, Systernal Process Explorer and you will see the diference.
it was Process Hacker LOL :sneaky:

"You can't teach an old dog new tricks. " ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Azure and mekelek
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.