Deprecated End-of-Life announcement for Norton Power Eraser for Windows XP and Windows Vista

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Thread author
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
We strive to provide industry-leading and relevant security to help protect your devices and the information on them. From time to time, we assess our offerings and features to ensure value to our consumers and partners.

As a result, we have decided to retire Norton Power Eraser version 5.3 for Windows XP and Windows Vista. Norton Power Eraser version 5.3 support will end on March 31, 2023.

Source: End-of-Life announcement for Norton Power Eraser for Windows XP and Windows Vista

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
@Jonny Quest you win the prize as the first to get the connection! 🥳🎉👯‍♂️👯‍♂️
Yep, and he may even have to give up his Nokia 2100 phone with flashlight :)

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
I still think Bots thread is a bit humorous...two operating systems that are so obsolete, and were being warned about it, really? :) :)
The bot is configured by Mr. @Jack to monitor some channels and post here automatically.

NortonLifeLock informs the users that the software will not be supported. Even though these systems are obsolete, there may still be people using them and relying on NPE.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
I mean people have a right to use obsolete software that doesn't receive security updates, but man it's iffy and stinks. Do what you want really.

They know it's a huge security risk running out of date OSs, and yet they use all sorts of security tools to protect the unprotectable.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I mean people have a right to use obsolete software that doesn't receive security updates, but man it's iffy and stinks.
NortonLifeLock informs the users that the software will not be supported. Even though these systems are obsolete, there may still be people using them and relying on NPE.
Indeed, but many in so-called 3rd world countries and probably more enterprises than we know still use XP.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Indeed, but many in so-called 3rd world countries and probably more enterprises than we know still use XP.
Married At First Sight Lol GIF by Lifetime

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
And wasn't that the best OS at the time, from the business side, the enterprise side, that many US companies didn't want to migrate to Vista due to the coding, incompatibly with the software they were using? Even gamers at the time wanted to stay with XP due to its better performance, if I'm remembering right?

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
And wasn't that the best OS at the time, from the business side, the enterprise side, that many US companies didn't want to migrate to Vista due to the coding, incompatibly with the software they were using? Even gamers at the time wanted to stay with XP due to its better performance, if I'm remembering right?
It was the high system requirements that deterred users from installing Vista, a scenario a bit similar to Windows 11. In addition, UAC, Windows Aero with its billion colours and various novelties didn't have a great absorption rate. Yes, businesses have loads of incompatible software that ties them up to a certain OS or to Internet Explorer. Enterprises had the option to pay for an extended support.

Jonny Quest

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
It was the high system requirement that deterred users from installing Vista, a scenario a bit similar to Windows 11. In addition, UAC, Windows Aero with its billion colours and various novelties didn't have a great absorption rate. Yes, businesses have loads of incompatible software that ties them up to a certain OS or to Internet Explorer. Enterprises had the option to pay for an extended support.
That's right, I remember Microsoft extending, the ability to extend, XP support. You're on your game, Trident :)

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016

You would be surprised. I think you would find that most people are using Windows 10 in 3rd world countries for those with PC's. Sure, there are some people using XP & 7 but they would be legacy systems like ATM's or embedded systems. The rate of adoption has increased for those with PC's/Laptops in 3rd world, and with free upgrades to Win 10 it has been good for the 3rd world.

In most 3rd world countries people use mobiles not PC's, same issue applies though with outdated Android OS.

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
In most 3rd world countries people use mobiles not PC's, same issue applies though with outdated Android OS
The fragmentation there is despicable. There are loads of vendors that don't push even a single OS upgrade. Even the vendors that put a lot of effort still struggle with the Linux kernel and the whole nonsense design... it's tough there.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
The fragmentation there is despicable. There are loads of vendors that don't push even a single OS upgrade. Even the vendors that put a lot of effort still struggle with the Linux kernel and the whole nonsense design... it's tough there.
The problem is cost of the device in the 3rd world. People just can't afford Apple or Google or Samsung devices. So, they are left with devices that are cheap and don't offer regular patches/security upgrade. It's bad but what can you do? You just have to lift people out of poverty and increase quality of consumer devices with time.

Where I live even the homeless people have cheap mobile phones :mad:. You see them pull their phones out while begging for change.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Here's another example from the not-so-distant past.
And this one may be the best overview.
We also checked BleepingComputer’s analytics, and for the running month alone, we’ve had 19,000 unique visitors connecting to the site with Windows XP systems.

Last edited:

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Where I live even the homeless people have cheap mobile phones :mad:. You see them pull their phones out while begging for change.
Reminds me of a SPAM email I received once. It was going on and on about somebody being homeless and they "saw me and fell in love with me".
At the bottom of the message it had "Sent from my iPhone". :LOL:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.