May 19, 2023
How it's used?
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 11
On-device encryption
BitLocker Device Encryption for Windows
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Access Control
Always notify
Smart App Control
Off
Network firewall
Enabled
About WiFi router
Sky Router with built-in IPV4/IPv6 Firewall
Real-time security
Microsoft Defender + DefenderUI
CyberLock
Comodo Firewall .8012
Firewall security
Other - Internet Security (3rd-party)
About custom security
DefenderUI - Recommended Settings
Cyberlock - ON - Create In/Out Firewall Rules for Unsafe Items. Require Captcha to exit.
Comodo Firewall - Cruelsister Configuration
Periodic malware scanners
Norton Power Eraser
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
N/A
Browser(s) and extensions
Primary: Edge with uBO in Medium Mode - Netcraft/BD:TL
Secondary - Firefox with uBO in Medium Mode - Netcraft/BD:TL
Secure DNS
Provided by ISP Sky Shield though occasionally Cloudflare DNS over HTTP.
Desktop VPN
None. Browsing primarily on home private network.
Password manager
KeepassXC
Maintenance tools
Windows built-in Disk Clean-up and Storage Sense.
File and Photo backup
Seagate - Toolkit - Weekly Backup
Active subscriptions
    • None
System recovery
External Drive - Backup of Documents and folders.
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Working from home
    • Making audio/video calls
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Notable changes
22.01.2022 - Reverted to Comodo Internet Security setup with Firefox as default browser and Thunberbird email client.
15.05.2022 - Reverted to Hard_Configurator setup following errors after uninstall and PC reset with Edge as default browser for MD integration while also sticking to Thunderbird for email & Updated backup routine.
13.08.2022 - Swapped to built-in backup solution.
12.09.2022 - General update in line with new guidelines.
29.10.2022 - Edge Exploit Tweaks re-implimented
15.11.2022 - Edge Exploit Tweaks removed. Removed OneDrive backups.
18.11.2022 - Firefox now my primary browser & Thunderbird primary email client.
12.12.2022 - updated Dec 2022 changes, backup now manual and onedrive. Experimenting with Comodo Internet Security but not fully committed to it yet.
11.01.2023 - Updated Security Configuration for new laptop and having won Emisoft giveaway.
22.01.2023 - Reverted to MD, ConfigureDefender - High & Enabled CFA, FWHardener, Added NPE to scanner, Edge exploit tweaks.
01.02.2023 - Now using Seagate Toolkit for Backup of Documents and Folders
18.05.2023 - Using H_C Beta and few unticks/ticks of PC use.
24.06.2023 - Back to Emsisoft Anti-Malware Home, Changed Password Manager to KeepassXC
02.09.2023 - Switched from Emsisoft Setup to CF/MD Configuration
20.10.2023 - Switched to Firefox, no longer using VPN for as work now has Azure cloud servers. Temporarily removed custom exploit settings.
01.11.2023 - Back to MD H_C setup
12.12.2023 - Added Anti-Exploit Tweaks and uBO in Hard Mode with noop rules.
20.12.2023 - Removed custom exploit rules as having some Edge freezes. Moved back to Comodo Firewall with Cruelsister Configuration.
21.12.2023 - Firefox now primary browser.
27.12.2023 - Edge changed to Primary Browser
06.01.2024 - Removed WFC, Implemented WFH & CL create firewall rules for not safe items.
08.01.2024 - Re-Added WFC
03.01.2024 - Firefox now primary browser.
21.01.2024 - Changed Primary Browser to Edge
28.01.2024 - Removed WFC and replaced with CF
05.02.2024 - Returned to WFC
28.02.2024 - Adjusted uBO Rules & Added Netcraft & BD:TL extensions
25.03.2024 - Changed to CIS .8012
10.04.2024 - Reverted to MD/DefenderUI/Cyberlock/WFC Config
31.12.2023 - New config for 2024 - MD (DefenderUI), CyberLock,WFC

11.04.2024 - Reverted to MD/DefenderUI/Cyberlock/CF
Disclaimer we use date format DD/MM/YYYY here in the UK
What I'm looking for?

Looking for minimum feedback.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

To be clear: I wrote about uBO medium mode simulation in AG browser extension. Of course I would never use it in uBO itself. View:
I hoped that " my interpretation of" also respected that

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
On a different note, I had been thinking of switching browsers at some point. I like FF but it's not something I can have open with any other app as it takes up all available traffic. Can't even get mail from Thunderbird at the same time as FF is open. Anyway, kind of have to use Edge so looking into turning off the bloat ;)

Reactions: SeriousHoax

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
On a different note, I had been thinking of switching browsers at some point. I like FF but it's not something I can have open with any other app as it takes up all available traffic. Can't even get mail from Thunderbird at the same time as FF is open. Anyway, kind of have to use Edge so looking into turning off the bloat ;)
That's super odd. What kind of thing are you doing on Firefox that is using up all available traffic?

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
That's super odd. What kind of thing are you doing on Firefox that is using up all available traffic?
I need to experiment with it again to see if it's still and issue but I'd just have a news page open and getting emails would just sit there spinning until I exited firefox. will re-try it and see if I can narrow down what the issue was/is.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Moved over to Firefox for a bit. Edge just has to much bloat. Sticking with Comodo Firewall as plans to test upcoming CIS Beta 2 next week.
Not using VPN now as work has Cloud Servers.
Adjusted uBO config with simplified medium mode.

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Testing CIS/CF Beta 2.

Runs smoothly so far in normal usage test this week. Switching to Proactive config brought back the TCP port 443 (HTTPS) firewall log spam for the likes of Edge but it doesn't appear to have affected browsing or anything so just ignoring it rather than messing around with allow rules.

1698352324322.png

Downloading GRC's Leaktest was detected and blocked instantly once I hit save.
1698352248087.png

Not much of a test but things do seem to be improved with this Beta. Looking forward to further developments ;)
EDIT: Fixed photos

Last edited:

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Ruminants after uninstall include usual startup entry, events log entry and this time around cmdguard.inf & cmdhelp.inf drivers all which I had to remove manually. That was with full CIS product though so not sure if/how just CF Beta is affected.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 97327

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I'm looking at an alternative to Thunderbird. I like it a lot but just finding it frustrating at times when forwarding messages to my other half and she can't open them on her macbook. Probably just need to tweak the settings or use Mail for a bit to remind me why I love TB :D
You may want to try Betterbird (fork of Thunderbird), beside Windows version even available as Mac build: Betterbird: FAQ

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
You may want to try Betterbird (fork of Thunderbird), beside Windows version even available as Mac build: Betterbird: FAQ
Thanks, might have a look at that one. She doesn't need another email client, I think it may just be something to do with TB's forwards having .eml extension.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

I switched from Thunderbird to Evolution on Linux, because it syncs with Outlook calendar (which I use on my Android phone).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nevi and ErzCrz

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Had a weird thing where my laptop kept showing as connected and then disconnected as soon as I moved the cable but I could tell it was still connected by the power light. Must have been screen saver or closing my lid settings or something as restoring default power schemes and a reboot fixed the issue and now all good. Just very odd but it's all working perfectly again with no issue.
The run command for resetting your power themes is: powercfg -restoredefaultschemes
Glad it's sorted as it was something that had been an issue for a little while now.

EDIT: The troubleshooter also identified the screensaver issue: msdt.exe /id PowerDiagnostic
Still working today so that's definitely fixed it :D

Last edited:

ErzCrz

Level 21
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
Added Privacy Badger to extensions. Probably overkill but thinking ahead for MV3 eventuality even if that's some years away.

Quite happy with H_C setup at the moment. Done a lot a lot of toing and froing over what I'll do security wise for 2024. I don't want to have to fork out more than £30 if I went down the paid route and I'm waiting on Comodo Beta to come out of beta but who knows when that'll be so for the moment, built-in hardened is what I'm going with for the time being but still tempted by Emsisoft for it's simplicity and no nagging.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.