ESET Internet Security 10 : Recommended settings

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
@viktik
Your rules are not correct! with such rule, every 30 sec you have an ugly alert from HIPS.
1-Because the windows stuff tries to write To C.
2-When you browse the web the browser want to write to his folders(Again C).
3-It will make a lot of alerts If you want to install an App!Also a lot of pain for user:notworthy:
I have no idea why did you create such rules!?
If someone wants the right way to protect his files with Eset Hips:
Place your important files on somewhere and inside a folder then set a block rule for all file operation! like I put my Text files on D:\new folder\example.rtf and set block rules for this file via HIPS. don't forget that Eset Hips will not protect your files from access or copy.it only protect from writing to file or delete the file(doesn't work/probably bug?!).
There is another bug in Eset Hips that Auto allow an operation if you don't answer the alert in provided time(around 45 sec)!So an ask rule for your files is the worst thing that you can do lol! it should be a block rule not ask because the asks rule will auto allow the access so ransomware will encrypt your files if you don't answer the alert fast(as I said about 45 sec) I used to answer Eset alerts fast!
I use Easy File Locker(but also Eset hips) which protects my files in a better way than Eset!
i just gave you another reason that why you shouldn't pay for any Av:giggle::cautious:
What free programs do you use or recomend?

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017

Nevi

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Thanks

I'm late but I'll catch up :)

One question. I'm not using any desktop email client (using only web based emails) so should I disable EVERYTHING under the 'Email Client Protection' section. This will include the

Email Clients
Email Protocols
Threatsense Parameters
Alerts and Notifications
Antispam Protection
Antispam Address Book

My thinking is that disabling all those not needed will help to speed up ESET. Parental Control is another example which I disabled since I'm the only one using my tablet

Thanks again
I do exactly the same. I don't wanna use the protection when I dont use desktop e mail clients, so I can't see any problem with that.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Question re Recommended Settings: I see "spoiler" thinking that a jpg file will open, but it says Visit pichost.me and when I do that eset says "This web page is on the list of websites with an uncertain reputation or potentially unwanted content and has been blocked." Since this is the Eset Forum, shouldn't I follow Eset's suggestions? Just curious that this would happen. Or is this only a test to see who and how many times people ignore malware warnings :rolleyes:
PS to above: I did click "ignore" and Eset popup said it stopped a trojan, so Viktik's no1 post 2017 with spoilers has been hacked, or Eset just gave me my first false+ years in & years & at av comparatives Eset has 0 false+. Curiouser & curiouser...

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
EIS firewall: question (or recommendation without a spoiler) I'm running Comodo Firewall with cruelsister settings for some years. The default install of EIS showed that both CFW and EIS firewall were both "on," :oops: and windows firewall "off." I recall in from older times, do not run 2 firewalls. Should I leave CFW "on" or turn it "off" and run onlythe EIS firewall? Or is possbile to run CFW & EIS firewalls together? Seems like a bad idea. I've never had issues with CFW and like its containment. But also read someone opine that Comodo is not keeping CFW up to date as it is now focusing on commercial. Thoughts welcome. (I am not up to date myself with all the info that gets shared on MT)

Reactions: Nevi and Dave Russo

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.