App Review ESET Internet Security 2017 BETA (default settings) Prevention and Detection Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lucent Warrior

By not placing this comment here, it would make me prejudice. I like your style of test @safe1st , although there is one issue, and it is not so little, and that is you are also using older Virussign samples, just renamed and file extension changed. These samples are not giving even close to accurate signature detection. If you run them through Virus Total once downloaded, you will see they average around 45 or so engines already detecting them. I understand mistakes happen testing and even when just answering questions, i know i am not without my faults and have produced both at times. But this, right here, we can control and change for the better. Vendors need to be properly represented, as well as us representing ourselves.

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
older Virussign samples

Deja vu.

I highly recommend (for those that review and test products seriously, not those that are looking for a quick cash-in on YouTube revenue) that prior to even executing the malware, upload it onto VirusTotal, go to "Additional Information" and look at the "First submission". If the first submission is over 24 hours ago, you're wasting your time. 12 hours is optimal.

With that said @safe1st, I've always liked your reviews and music choices. Your reviews follow a very formulaic pattern that you've gotten comfortable with showing fluidly on-screen. In theory, you can increase the accuracy of your reviews tenfold by changing one important variable: the malware.

L

Lucent Warrior

Deja vu.

I highly recommend (for those that review and test products seriously, not those that are looking for a quick cash-in on YouTube revenue) that prior to even executing the malware, upload it onto VirusTotal, go to "Additional Information" and look at the "First submission". If the first submission is over 24 hours ago, you're wasting your time. 12 hours is optimal.

With that said @safe1st, I've always liked your reviews and music choices. Your reviews follow a very formulaic pattern that you've gotten comfortable with showing fluidly on-screen. In theory, you can increase the accuracy of your reviews tenfold by changing one important variable: the malware.
Nicely stated!

@safe1st If you talk to the Hunters in the Hub, they are more then willing to let testers, use their sample packs as long as you give them credit for them in your video. This im sure you will find, is the best method, as it enables you to provide a unbiased test, as you did not pick the samples, no one can claim you intentionally picked samples that would get caught by the product, or bypass it, and also you can very much trust those samples to be fully vetted by the experienced Hunters. It is one course, or i can move this to PM, and show you where and how to grab them and check them yourself if you would rather.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
I totally agree that WD is the most compatible AV but I really doubt about its lightness
I always feel and confirm using task manager that WD is not lighter than other popular AVs. WD consumed so much CPU and disk while I didn't do anything, just sat and observed for a few minutes
I have tried KIS, avast and WD, avira recently. WD is the heaviest; avira is also the heaviest only when it causes memory leak. Avast with some of performance tweaks is the lightest
Interesting fact! Maybe you 're right but a lot if not most of MT members claim WD is causing less trouble performance wise in total, than most others. I personally have not done such performance comparison, so I cannot claim anything from my own experience.

safe1st

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 29, 2016
Deja vu.

Hi I cant send you message
I want say something so you CAN understand regarding that/ your sentence.
I already sent message to @Lucent Warrior because I cant send you a message

Reactions: Der.Reisende

XIII

Level 5
Verified
Sep 20, 2016
Hi I cant send you message
I want say something so you CAN understand regarding that/ your sentence.
I already sent message to @Lucent Warrior because I cant send you a message

It's probably for the best that I've set my privacy settings that way then. If your takeaway from my entire post was a small sentence that didn't even directly apply to you, then I can see your focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.