Battle ESET Internet Security or Bitdefender Internet Security for a Gaming PC?

idanbental

Thread author
Aug 24, 2018
Hello.
I need help deciding what antivirus to buy. i've been using eset nod 32 for the last year and my license is over i want to upgrade to eset internet security but i heard good things about bitdefender. i really like eset because its lightweight low on resources and it works in the background. i don't know a lot about bitdefender. please help.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
BD is King of Bug untill I learn how to use PC :D
also Eset BB is King of Lack of BB untill I learn how to use PC :D (but they fixed this problem with their Very Fast Speed off adding virus in their database)
Why you not try to use another softwares? :unsure:
I voted to Eset because they are very fast In detection,bug fixing,add threats in their database,and....

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Bitdefender Internet Security 2019 Better than ESET :
1- Highest Malware Detected
2-Webcam Protection
3-Advanced Threat Defense
4-Password Manager
5-VPN
6- Finally in Web Protection against pishing Bitdefendet is Better

ESET is poor Web protection Browsers such as firefox or Chrome Vs Bitdefender or Kaspersky .
ESET Is Better Bitdefender in performance ONLY.
With the full respect to your idea,I am totaly disagree with (1).
no one can calculate "AV Data Base" EXACTLY ! and combine it with another one....
No one know how many threats in AVX or AVY ....

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
BD is King of Bug untill I learn how to use PC :D
also Eset BB is King of Lack of BB untill I learn how to use PC :D (but they fixed this problem with their Very Fast Speed off adding virus in their database)
Why you not try to use another softwares? :unsure:
I voted to Eset because they are very fast In detection,bug fixing,add threats in their database,and....
omidomi.jpg

Reactions: JB007 and stefanos

In2an3_PpG

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 15, 2016
I voted Bit Defender because there is no doubt their signatures are significantly better than ESET.

I dont want to seem like a Jerk but, where is the evidence for that?

For the OP, i would recommend from personal experience ESET over Bitdefender for performance. ESET vs Bitdefender for security. I would rather have the firewall ESET has, gives a lot more features. Also i would rather have HIPS thru ESET then put my full trust behind Bitdefenders Behavioral Blocker.

Depending on how you have ESET set up. ESET most certainly can be stronger then Bitdefender. If your concerned with who is better with default settings, well Bitdefender will have the edge with the BB. Seeing that you have experience with ESET, i would suggest sticking with what you know. As others have suggested.

Libera Milanesi

Level 2
Verified
Aug 19, 2018
I vote for whichever one fits your personal requirements and is more comfortable to use for you. The only person who will know what will or will not work for you is... you.

1. Bitdefender and ESET are both well-established vendors
2. Bitdefender and ESET both service to the home user and enterprise market
3. Bitdefender and ESET both have licensed their own technology out to other vendors in the past (and currently)
4. Bitdefender or ESET are sufficient for protecting your environment - as long as you watch what you do

On a personal level, I trust ESET more than Bitdefender. I am particularly a fan of the ESET Firewall.

Bitdefender and ESET provide trials to test out their services before purchase. I recommend to the original poster that they test out Bitdefender to get a grip on the feel of it and to determine whether they are comfortable using it before switching from ESET - which is what has worked well for them for some time already and what they are currently used to.

My 2-c.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
ESET is poor Web protection
And who said that? it has one of the best web filterings if you enable the parental control(Zvelo technology).
from my own test, it's the best after K9 web protection.
By default, Eset doesn't use the Zvelo malicious URLs/IPs database.you have to enable it through the parental control .zvelo can also block Ads like google domains. I love it.

Last edited:

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
As for gaming related machines, or low-end hardware machines, ESET is always the best option. Even in the maximum lockdown protection mode, it's still the lightest AV out there. It's been my AV for quite some time until I digged signature software.

Here are some great pro's:
  • Accurate and sensitive web filtering
  • Fast and smart signatures
  • Effective and in-depth scans
  • Endless customizable settings
  • Possibily to configure to extreme lockdown
  • Lightness
Some con's:
  • Incompatible with many other software, careful which complements you install!
  • Not so fast deep scans
  • Can be very sensitive regarding PUA/PUP
  • Doesn't throw X-rays to malware (at least visible to human eyes)
If you're using it, which I recommend (and I recommend Internet Security version), you should tweak it for achieving a better protection (default is not so strong).

Among the most important:
  1. Firewall - interactive mode
  2. HIPS - smart mode
  3. PUA/PUP detection enabled
  4. There are also many minor tweaks that seriously improve the overall usage and performance. I hereby share with you my configuration file so you can just import it.
Note: my configuration is strictly user-dependant, so you will have total control over any possible detected threat. You will be choosing what actions to take.

UPLOAD.EE - config_eset.xml - Download

idanbental

Thread author
Aug 24, 2018
I've read your post and I understand that you want decent protection that is light on your system. To be absolutely honest with you I would just stick with using Eset. Despite what some have said here, its protection is very good. If you are considering switching from their AV to their Internet security version you do get a few more features, most notably their firewall. I wouldn't stress over the little things (ie: HIPS vs BB vs webcam protection, etc...), as both products will protect you well as long as you practice safe surfing habits (ie: don't download illegal/cracked games, etc... ). If you practice unsafe habits, no product will protect you 100%, it really is a matter of fact.

Since you are very happy with Eset I would just stick with it, unless you have had some issues with it, as others have already said just stick with what you know. Its light weight and offers very good protection. Without knowing your skill level, just to let you know that Eset has some very powerful features that can keep you well protected if setup properly. If you haven't already, there are some threads here that can help you setup Eset for more protection if that is a concern for you. Also there are very knowledgeable people here that know Eset very well, @RoboMan is one of them (hopefully he will chime in if he sees this thread) and can help you setup Eset if you feel like you need more protection. As @Spawn said, you can also add (if you haven't all ready) a AD Blocker of some sort and an additional web filter, IF and I mean IF you feel you need more. Keep in mind all the major browsers (Chrome, Edge, Firefox) all have very good protection built in, so between that, an AD-Blocker and Eset you should be well protected. More does not mean better protection(y)

Truth be told, Eset is a very capable, powerful product on the security front and its also very light weight, perfect for a gaming system. (y)
Also, keep in mind that you don't need to stress over security, install what ever program works best for you, practice safe habits take the time to learn if you aren't sure and you should be well protected.
Thank you so much. i will just stick to eset because i really like it and its light on my system

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Thank you so much. i will just stick to eset because i really like it and its light on my system

Glad I could help(y)

I just want to state for the record that there's absolutely nothing wrong asking about/trying new products because you may find something that suites you and your needs better, but if you are happy with what you are already using and it fits your needs already I don't see any need to switch. If it ain't broke don't fix it:)

D

Deleted member 74454

I'm not going to cast a vote either way....

What needs to be asked and addressed is your system specs, how good are they? While one may feel heavier then another on an average system, on a powerful gaming rig, I doubt you will notice much difference. It would be a matter of trying the trial's to both products personally on your machine and finding which your more comfortable with and which effects your performance, of course needing to be stated, is you can tweak these products for better performance.

I personally use Eset IS on my machines, but as stated, will not recommend what works for me, for you, as you need to find out by experiencing each on your system and choosing.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.