Advice Request ESET IS as the only line of defense?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Hey guys, I'd like to ask you for a quick opinion.

I'm looking to stay protected in all scenarios, atm I have a real time protection free antivirus paired up with VoodooShield for the anti-executable benefits.

Now, VS has always been a love/hate relationship with me, since it's great but it always slows down the execution of programs. So, I was thinking about ESET. I was thinking about two weeks with firewall and HIPS in learning mode, and then setting them both to interactive.

Will a trained interactive HIPS replace the need of an anti-executable?

Please avoid suggesting other antivirus, I'm trying to make ESET usable in my scenario or in the worst case move on, but I wanna at least try.

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
Personally I will not waste my time configuring HiPS which requires much know-how configuration. SecureAPlus and Voodooshield (thought I did not use the latter) will provide what you are looking for out of the box. SecureAPlus offers interactive mode which will ask you about everything and you will be in full control. I would not use Eset with it for it is very expensive and the AI module in SAP or MD will do the job. Another option I would give a shot is WiseVector and pair it with SAP and tge combination would be more than sufficient.

danb

From VoodooShield
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
May 31, 2017
The new code base version of VS (6.40) is extremely stable and super fast. Any slowdown that anyone experienced in older versions of VS should be resolved.

Having said that, I think it is wise to try several different products to see which one fits your needs the best.

RoboMan

Level 34
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
The new code base version of VS (6.40) is extremely stable and super fast. Any slowdown that anyone experienced in older versions of VS should be resolved.

Having said that, I think it is wise to try several different products to see which one fits your needs the best.
When will this version be released? I see the latest is 6.11?

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
If you set ESET's HIPS to interactive, you don't need additional antiexecutable. You can put it in learning mode as you suggested and after some time in interactive mode. This way you get less prompts and you don't have to manually create all rules.

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
If you set ESET's HIPS to interactive, you don't need additional antiexecutable. You can put it in learning mode as you suggested and after some time in interactive mode. This way you get less prompts and you don't have to manually create all rules.
I did this for their firewall once. It worked pretty well. I think it would work even better for HIPS, once trained, unless you constantly have new exes you use.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
What I don't trust is signatures or behaviour blocker as the only defense. Any type of allow by default triggers me.
I agree. But after a few weeks, I get bored with HIPS or anti-exes. So I prefer hardening Windows with tools like Simple Windows Hardening, Configure defender, Hard_ Configurator.... No performance hit and I feel safe.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What I don't trust is signatures or behaviour blocker as the only defense. Any type of allow by default triggers me.

Anyways, I'm testing the new VS as soon as I can.
Then no, IMO, I don't think ESET Internet Security is the right product for you. Replacing ESET would be ideal, as their IDS/HIPS isn't their primary methods of protection (AFAIK).

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.