ESET Online Scanner Review

How would you rate ESET Online Scanner ?

• 5 Stars (Excellent)

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • 4 Stars (Very good)

Votes: 14 29.2%
  • 3 Stars (Good)

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • 2 Stars (Fair)

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • 1 Star (Poor)

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I have never tried this product.

Votes: 9 18.8%

• Total voters
Product name
ESET Online Scanner for Windows
Pros
  • Completely free to download and use.
    Unlimited usage
    No registration or limitations without an ESET Account
    Free threat removal
    Optional to report only
    Choose what and where to scan
CONS
Cannot be used as a right-click file/folder scanner
Requires a permanent Internet connection before scanning
BOTTOM LINE
ESET Online Scanner is a great piece of software that can be used by Home users and Malware Removal Experts. It can scan and remove threats without catches, and therefore it's fit for purpose. Real-time protection is not intended for this tool, therefore Protection score is N/A.
Users can purchase an ESET license if they want to use a proper Antivirus software with real-time protection.
Usability
5 / 5
User Interface
5 / 5
CPU/RAM/Storage
Fair Usage

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
ESET has got a very good on-demand scanner , I wish they would release a standard on-demand scanner like Malwarebytes or Hitman Pro as it will be very useful.

In 'The Bad' section I would add that 'Remove threats' in the startup screen is checked by default.... What this means is , you will not be able to review the detected threats before allowing the removal , as the process is automatic without giving any screen with what has been detected. I usually uncheck Remove threats.
bBuIS.png

In 'The Good' section , I would add very decent scan times and the great definitions.

B

Brian

Jack said:
ESET has got a very good on-demand scanner , I wish they would release a standard on-demand scanner like Malwarebytes or Hitman Pro as it will be very useful.

I agree. That would be awesome.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Earth said:
I have given ESET Online Scanner 4 Stars, as it is an under-rated online scanner, or offline on-demand scanner. For what it is, you can't get ESET for free any other way, unless you receive a genuine license for it.

However, I'm unsure how effective it is on an infected Windows PC.

More Info (on malwaretips.com)

I agree with you, I think its under rated. A few weeks ago, I downloaded a few malicious executables from MDL, the Eset on demand scanner( that's how I have used the application) detected every one of them. Other scanners like HMP, MBAM and Avira free missed 30/50% of them. I mentioned this before but I am posting it here since the thread is about the Eset scanner.

Bo

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
bo.elam

ESET's Threat Sense helps with the detection.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
ESET Threat Sense is more likely there heuristics detection counterpart on other security on demand scanners.

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
jamescv7 said:
ESET Threat Sense is more likely there heuristics detection counterpart on other security on demand scanners.

Hmm don't think so. A quick Google search showed these helpful pages. Take a look :)

http://www.eset.com/us/home/whyeset/livegrid/

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN531

http://www.eset.eu/threat-center/threat-sense

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
It's a nice application and it works. It's one of the few true AV online scanner (avast for instance is only scanning a file with a size of 20MB as max). It will surely take time but you get other signatures. You're able to adjust it how it should which is not bad feature.

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
Reminds me of the time ESET was implemented in Hitman Pro. Seems they removed them selves from it so that they could offer a scanner of their own.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
For full system online scanners, there isn't many worth messing with anymore.
There are plenty of single file scanners that are good.

ESET is one of the few that remains to be a very good scanner, (good detection, very low false positives, good malware removal and decent scanning speed.)

However my favorite is F-Secure Online Scanner tends to find what others don't.
Symantec Security Check, Panda ActiveScan and Trend Micro Housecall are also good options.
Emsisoft Web Malware Scanner is also very good but has many false positives and slow scanning.

BitDefender discontinued their Online Scanner awhile back and now only offer QuickScan which only scans active processes. Microsoft also discontinued their Online Scanner and replaced it with Microsoft Safety Scanner (removal tool) which is also pretty good.

Thanks.:D

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Littlebits said:
ESET is one of the few that remains to be a very good scanner, (good detection, very low false positives, good malware removal and decent scanning speed.)
Littlebits, I agree, the scanner has very good detection with low false positives. My computer is an HP, many AVs have a thing with HP and detect original HP files as PUP but not the ESET scanner. :cool: The scanning speed is also very nice in my computer even when selecting to scan archives. On my PC the scan takes about 38/43 minutes. When I ran a scan, I had 9 malicious executables inside a folder, it detected all of them. Nice.

Bo

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
bo.elam said:
Littlebits said:
Littlebits, I agree, the scanner has very good detection with low false positives. My computer is an HP, many AVs have a thing with HP and detect original HP files as PUP but not the ESET scanner. :cool: The scanning speed is also very nice in my computer even when selecting to scan archives. On my PC the scan takes about 38/43 minutes. When I ran a scan, I had 9 malicious executables inside a folder, it detected all of them. Nice.

Bo
Bo I know what you mean by false positives in HP files, my HP Compaq Application Recovery Console is detected as a Trojan by several AV's, I had reported these false positives to the AV vendors many times and years later still are detected. Many other HP system files are also detected as other forms of malware, some of which if you removed your system will not boot. I have also found that many AV's trigger many false positives on other OEM Windows in their system files. Toshiba, Gateway, Dell, eMachines, Lenovo and Acer OEM Windows all have many system files detected by many AV's. The worst of them all are Emsisoft and Avira.

ESET never detects these OEM system files.

Thanks.:D

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Yeah, I remember when it was in style to "detect" files inside the HP recovery console. In early 2010, when I was using Avira9, about 12 files in the recovery console were detected as viruses after a bad signature update. To me, those detections gave me something to do but since the bad update was done during a weekend, the FPs were not fixed for a couple of days, creating problems for a lot of folks around the World. At the same time Kaspersky, Avast and probably other AVs as well were also detecting the same files.

It was a fun weekend.

Bo

DiabloBlack

Nov 5, 2011
Used ESET Online Scanner this evening on a family members laptop while cleaning up from WebWatcher (key logging software). ESET worked very well I must say.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
MrXidus said:
jamescv7 said:

Hmm don't think so. A quick Google search showed these helpful pages. Take a look :)

http://www.eset.com/us/home/whyeset/livegrid/

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN531

http://www.eset.eu/threat-center/threat-sense

Well its likely near on what I said about heuristics detection, its all about heuristics analysis. :)

zlloyd1

Feb 19, 2013
I am using the free ESET Online Scanner, trying to locate a rootkit virus on my computer, and the thing has been running for over 7 hours!! :mad:
What is worse is that for the last 3 hours it has said that it was 99% done, but WON"T FINISH??
What in the world is this thing doing that takes THIS LONG???? :huh:

D

Deleted member 178

Depend of your internet upload speed, size of the hard drive, number of files, hardwares specs, etc...

don't blame a product if you have an HDD almost full with large files and a low connection...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.