Advice Request Eset Smart Security disconnects VPN upon running speed test/file download

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020

No one gave an answer. Nobody here has this problem?

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I never had problems with KIS and BitDefender Total Security, and this ESet thing is driving me insane.
Run these as Admin in CMD, but it still happens.
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew
netsh winsock reset
netsh interface ipv4 reset
netsh interface ipv6 reset

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Looks to me that ESET firewall and HTTPS Injection is getting in the way. If it works without ESET installed, or with ESET disabled. It's definitely either of those two or a combination of it. Little you can do, until they fix whatever breaks it. Reading further into the ESET forums, it seems they are not even bothering to answer the related questions in detail beyond the reply "does it work without ESET installed?".

cofer123

Level 2
Sep 7, 2021

You could try running NOD32 instead of ESS just to check if it's the firewall and its network protection mechanisms that are affecting you (they most likely are). There is an option in the UI to change products, under Help and Support -> Change product, where you can easily try this out.

I have had my fair share of problems with EIS and the network stack on Windows sort of "clogging up" when performing I/O intensive tasks, such as LAN transfers, heavy disk usage, or simply performing several network requests at the same time (like opening up dozens of pages with several images in them). This has been going for years and other users here acknowledged the same issues, where the symptoms manifest as system stuttering to perform basic operations like browsing or even moving the mouse. It's possible that you face a similar issue and the VPN times out and you lose connection.

I also don't have any of these issues with Kaspersky or Microsoft Defender.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
@rain2reign Thanks, I will look into it.
Should I enable the highlighted part?
1666465209414.png

@cofer123 I will install Nod32 and report back. Thansk for your input as well.

I do have disconnection problem only with VPN being connected and only when download speeds gets higher.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
@cofer123
Installing Nod32, but still damn happening. Previously I did use Revo Pro (paid.) to unistall Kaspersky Standard and also Bitdefender Total Security, then clean installed ESET Smart Security, but have had same problem. Tested With Chrome, and Edge.

I learned the lesson: I will never pay for ESET products anymore. PERIOD.
Only Kaspersky or Bitdefender.
I never heard my friend recommend ESET. The first thing they complain about ESET is the price.

For me ESET is now dead. I will never even try it for free.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

Yes, I do not have that problem.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
@cofer123
Installing Nod32, but still damn happening. Previously I did use Revo Pro (paid.) to unistall Kaspersky Standard and also Bitdefender Total Security, then clean installed ESET Smart Security, but have had same problem. Tested With Chrome, and Edge.

I learned the lesson: I will never pay for ESET products anymore. PERIOD.
Only Kaspersky or Bitdefender.
I never heard my friend recommend ESET. The first thing they complain about ESET is the price.

For me ESET is now dead. I will never even try it for free.
For me has been the opposite, BD only gave me problems, never ESET. I have used Kaspersky too, and it was ok for me too. I vaguely recall I had some sort of renewal licensing issue with Kaspersky and it pissed me off, so left them, but product was good.

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
I could not reproduce behaviour on my system. Speedtest was showing 190 Mbit download speed and test file download speed was at 23 MB (184 Mb) without interruptions and without VPN disconnection.
Maybe there is some problem specific to your system.

1666500656416.png

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Previously I did use Revo Pro (paid.) to unistall Kaspersky Standard and also Bitdefender Total Security, then clean installed ESET Smart Security, but have had same problem.
Did you just use Revo to scan for leftovers after the programs were installed, or did you use it to monitor the installations. In the first case, there will still be leftovers from Kaspersky and Bitdefender on your system which you can remove by running their own uninstall tools.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Did you just use Revo to scan for leftovers after the programs were installed, or did you use it to monitor the installations. In the first case, there will still be leftovers from Kaspersky and Bitdefender on your system which you can remove by running their own uninstall tools.
I've used Revo (pro) for long time, but over the years I found that installing (& uninstalling) security apps with Revo, can cause machine indigestion. :sick: ((fwiw))

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I could not reproduce behaviour on my system. Speedtest was showing 190 Mbit download speed and test file download speed was at 23 MB (184 Mb) without interruptions and without VPN disconnection.
Maybe there is some problem specific to your system.

View attachment 270227
Nothing wrong with my system. You are fan of ESET and won't agree with me, but @cofer123 is right.

Reactions: franz

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
Nothing wrong with my system. You are fan of ESET and won't agree with me, but @cofer123 is right.
I don't consider myself a fan of ESET although I currently use their software.
I also don't care if you agree or don't agree with me. I was just answering your question posted in your original post and described my experience (my bolding):

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I don't consider myself a fan of ESET although I currently use their software.
I also don't care if you agree or don't agree with me. I was just answering your question posted in your original post and described my experience (my bolding):
Thanks, but dude, people have had this problem even in 2019:

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Well then at least we can rule out the firewall and network protection modules. Still, it will be hard to convince ESET there is a problem, as it's usually the case.

Right now I have a mix of systems running ESET and Kaspersky. Can't say I'm impressed with the series of issues I have faced with ESET lately.
UPDATE : I got back to Nod32 again, and no disconnection happened this time. Tested several times.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
This guy talked very well about how good is ESET Nod32. But only Nod32:
hxxps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXT17bQ2W2Q

I think I can agree with him, and from now on get only AV, not full security suite.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
This guy talked very well about how good is ESET Nod32. But only Nod32:
hxxps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXT17bQ2W2Q

I think I can agree with him, and from now on get only AV, not full security suite.
For most products, the internet security & total security versions have a lot of bloats, but I can't remember if ESET Internet Security has any bloats. It's one of the few ones out there unless you consider their Firewall, Botnet & RDP brute force protection a bloat.
Edit: BTW, ESET Nod32 also has HTTPS scanning, which I don't think Mr. Chris Titus knows about.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.