App Review ESET Smart Security Premium 16 Pre-Release

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello and welcome to this test of ESET 16!

ESET 16 is the new version of the Slovak product.
It is currently in Pre-Release, so on BETA channels.

The version changes its look and integrates the Dark Mode, which is very successful.
A proactive module appears, as well as a system against Ransomware using a technology made with Intel. Being on AMD, we will not test this system.

The protection is still excellent, too bad I haven't seen the new features react.

I do not put a note because it is a BETA version and improvements will arrive, nevertheless, ESET remains a reference in the antivirus!

TedCruz

Level 5
Aug 19, 2022
Damn I didn't know that they included the Intel Anti-Ransomware tech. I read the newsrelease back in March (I think) but I did not see that mentioned in the release notes so I thought it was mostly a UI change. My bad! Sorry. Damn I would love to see it in action or if it actually makes a difference. I've been a Nod32 user since version 1 so seeing them release a new version with minimal changes really irked me, mainly because I didn't want them to become one of those "have to release a new version because it's another year" companies whilst not bringing anything new. BUT now seeing that they actually included a very nice piece of hardware assisted ransomware detection that is something freaking innovative that is worth a new version iteration!!!!

Good to know that it's being utilized. Is this the first AV to use it?

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
Just an FYI: ESET's pre-release updates are not beta version. Those updates are released usually days/weeks before final release and final release is usually the same as pre-release. Sometimes they use pre-release updates for quick fixes and users can switch to pre-release to check if their problem is solved by update that is about to be released ( if they report problem and ESET releases update on pre-release channel).
For beta testing you have to assign to beta program. Beta versions are not publicly available and when you sign to program you also sign NDA.
So v.16 will be released as regular update soon and version will be the same as is now on pre-release.

BigWrench

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Just an FYI: ESET's pre-release updates are not beta version. Those updates are released usually days/weeks before final release and final release is usually the same as pre-release. Sometimes they use pre-release updates for quick fixes and users can switch to pre-release to check if their problem is solved by update that is about to be released ( if they report problem and ESET releases update on pre-release channel).
For beta testing you have to assign to beta program. Beta versions are not publicly available and when you sign to program you also sign NDA.
So v.16 will be released as regular update soon and version will be the same as is now on pre-release.
Thanks for the explanation. I see it on my GUI as we type, Pre-release updates.....Was this "toggle" available in V15? I'm curious because I've had 16.0.(21) running for a couple days now. (After the required reboot, ugh) Dark mode, of course. Thanks again!

Peace ya'll ✌️

Minimalist

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 2, 2020
Thanks for the explanation. I see it on my GUI as we type, Pre-release updates.....Was this "toggle" available in V15? I'm curious because I've had 16.0.(21) running for a couple days now. (After the required reboot, ugh) Dark mode, of course. Thanks again!

Peace ya'll ✌️
Yes pre-release updates were available in v.15 and also in previous versions.

czesetfan

Level 3
Dec 3, 2021
The protection is still excellent, too bad I haven't seen the new features react.
At 2:30, LiveGuard responded and sent a sample for analysis. The pop-up window "File blocked due to analysis". The result was "Clean".
The new Intel TDT technology was not applied in this test. It can be seen in the settings where this option is missing, thus not functional (HIPS - Ransomware Shield).
I don't know if it is possible to test this in a virtual machine. 🤔

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
At 2:30, LiveGuard responded and sent a sample for analysis. The pop-up window "File blocked due to analysis". The result was "Clean".
The new Intel TDT technology was not applied in this test. It can be seen in the settings where this option is missing, thus not functional (HIPS - Ransomware Shield).

1. Normal that ESET displays "Clean" since the EXE has a password :) it is an archive executable

2. Normal too... I am under AMD, see screen of my version of Eset. Too bad it's only for Intel

unknown.png

TedCruz

Level 5
Aug 19, 2022
So, am I seeing this correctly (also updated to v16.0 here as well) that I can opt in to beta updates? Never seen that until your video. I can, and do with Emsisoft…..

Peace y’all ✌️✌️
Yeah they had opt-in beta updates for both program and signatures for quite some time now (I think since version 4) but I've been the early beta tester for a while so this might be a new thing for general release?

TedCruz

Level 5
Aug 19, 2022
I am not a cardiologist but if the TDT function requires specific CPU microcode in order to function then it is extremely unlikely that Virtual Machine will be able to emulate the microcode for CPU's that don't possess the architecture. I recall simulating CPU cycles when designing a microchip and the simulation of cycles is orders of magnitude slower than the execution of such cycles in the hardware. This is the new/old way of forcing you to choose between Team Blue and Team Red. You either want XYZ from Team Blue or YZX from Team Red...same for GPU's

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
@Shadowra Will ESET Smart Security Premium 16, install on PC with intel i5 6600k 3.50GHz, 16GB RAM- Win11 Pro?

I ask this because I read v16 will support Intel Threat Detection Technology. I have no idea what it is, but I got worried manybe old PCs are not supported.
Thank you very much.

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
@Shadowra Will ESET Smart Security Premium 16, install on PC with intel i5 6600k 3.50GHz, 16GB RAM- Win11 Pro?

I ask this because I read v16 will support Intel Threat Detection Technology. I have no idea what it is, but I got worried manybe old PCs are not supported.
Thank you very much.

It should work.
For the Intel technology, I don't have the information unfortunately :/

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.