App Review ESET Smart Security Premium 16 Pre-Release

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
@Shadowra Will ESET Smart Security Premium 16, install on PC with intel i5 6600k 3.50GHz, 16GB RAM- Win11 Pro?

I ask this because I read v16 will support Intel Threat Detection Technology. I have no idea what it is, but I got worried manybe old PCs are not supported.
Thank you very much.
Sadly, your CPU is not supported. You need at least 10th gen Intel CPU according to ESET Beta changelog, but ESET initially after the partnership said 9th gen and newer.
I have an AMD system, so not supported on mine wither.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Sadly, your CPU is not supported. You need at least 10th gen Intel CPU according to ESET Beta changelog, but ESET initially after the partnership said 9th gen and newer.
I have an AMD system, so not supported on mine wither.
It only does not support "Intel Threat Detection Technology" for my current hardware. But all other features of Eset smart security premium 16, e.g. web AV, file AV, will work, is that right?

It's like hardware virtualization in Kaspersky, i think, which my current PC doesn't support it.
1666281526033.png

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Damn I didn't know that they included the Intel Anti-Ransomware tech. I read the newsrelease back in March (I think) but I did not see that mentioned in the release notes so I thought it was mostly a UI change. My bad! Sorry. Damn I would love to see it in action or if it actually makes a difference. I've been a Nod32 user since version 1 so seeing them release a new version with minimal changes really irked me, mainly because I didn't want them to become one of those "have to release a new version because it's another year" companies whilst not bringing anything new. BUT now seeing that they actually included a very nice piece of hardware assisted ransomware detection that is something freaking innovative that is worth a new version iteration!!!!

Good to know that it's being utilized. Is this the first AV to use it?
agree, but also how do I know if my intel cpu supports TDT tech other than ESET finding it, or not finding it. I can go to intel and look up my xeon, not sure if it will be clearly stated??
EDIT: the intel webiste for my cpu does not list TDT as a feature so must not be on chip. My cpu mombd, is probably getting a little ripe, perhaps I need to install new cpu / mombd to keep up with ESET (or not)

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
It only does not support "Intel Threat Detection Technology" for my current hardware. But all other features of Eset smart security premium 16, e.g. web AV, file AV, will work, is that right?

It's like hardware virtualization in Kaspersky, i think, which my current PC doesn't support it.
View attachment 270162
Not the same... which CPU do You have? Did You enable HW Virtualization in Your BIOS? Even my old AMD Athlon II X3 450 supports HW Virtualization in Kaspersky, this CPU has more than 12 years...

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Not the same... which CPU do You have? Did You enable HW Virtualization in Your BIOS? Even my old AMD Athlon II X3 450 supports HW Virtualization in Kaspersky, this CPU has more than 12 years...
It is
Intel i5-6600K CPU 3.50GHz

No, I have not looked into enabling HW Virtualization in the BIOS. I thought it's not needed.

If I enable HW Virtualization in the BIOS, then v16 of ESet Smart Security's new Intel Anti-Ransomware tech, will support my PC?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
It is
Intel i5-6600K CPU 3.50GHz

No, I have not looked into enabling HW Virtualization in the BIOS. I thought it's not needed.

If I enable HW Virtualization in the BIOS, then v16 of ESet Smart Security's new Intel Anti-Ransomware tech, will support my PC?
As harlan already said, they are not the same and your CPU should have HW Virtualization support.
Just checked the link you gave and yes, your PC have HW Virtualization support. You need to enable it from the BIOS. Whether you feel you need it or not depends upon you.

TedCruz

Level 5
Aug 19, 2022
agree, but also how do I know if my intel cpu supports TDT tech other than ESET finding it, or not finding it. I can go to intel and look up my xeon, not sure if it will be clearly stated??
EDIT: the intel webiste for my cpu does not list TDT as a feature so must not be on chip. My cpu mombd, is probably getting a little ripe, perhaps I need to install new cpu / mombd to keep up with ESET (or not)
Yeah I was running a 2nd gen intel I7 until last year which I was forced into upgrade by my toddler. So while dada was cleaning my toddler's aquarium, the toddler decided to go to dadda's PC and yank the water cooling tube off the CPU block since he heard water running, and he wanted to feed the fish. The water went into the PC PSU which shorted and that was all that the PC wrote. So yeah, if you need a reason to upgrade your system, just get a toddler.

u/amirr
Enable virtualization, it doesn't hurt, it only speeds up your virtual machines and some Window sandboxing functions (in the latest versions of windows). The only time the virtualization might hurt is when you are pushing your CPU to the limit in terms of overclocking since by enabling virtualization you increase the CPU power consumption ever so slightly, which for some people might make their PC's unstable (if you are already on the knife edge of stability).

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
In recent years, it was rare to see an Eset test where the system still survived at the end. And unlike really weak anti-viruses, it blocks 99% of threats, but 1% steadily killed the system. :) Happy to see that everyone stayed alive this time. :D

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.