App Review Eset Smart Security Premium

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Product name
Eset Smart Security Premium
Installation (rating)
5.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
Clear UI to users especially for setup
Performance (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
I tweaked the settings of HIPS and AI machine learning helps
Browser protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Many features
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Highly configurable
    • Easy to use
    • Simple and non-intrusive
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Consistently high test scores
    • Accurate results and reliable antivirus engine
    • Effective malicious URL blocking
    • Virus signatures are updated daily
    • Excellent scores in independent tests
    • Great value for money
    • Effective malware removal
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Can be costly to run
Time spent using product
Computer specs
  • Device brand and model: Asus Zenbook Flip 14
  • CPU Model: Intel Ice Lake 10th Generation
  • GPU Model: Nvidia MX250
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • Storage Type: SSD 1 TB
Recommended for
  1. All types of users
  2. Inexperienced users
  3. Experienced users
  4. Financial banking or trading
  5. High-end or medium spec PCs
  6. Low spec PCs
Overall rating
5.00 star(s)
G

Guilhermesene

A beautiful product evaluation! That's why I have been using ESET for more than 3 years and renewed my license for another 3 years. I've never been infected, the antivirus is simple and functional. No bloated VPN and other unnecessary products for most people. Focused on protection, this is ideal. That's why I love ESET :love::love:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I like ESET & have done for years, it is very expensive & the ESET UK site does not accept PayPal my preferred purchase on the web. I wont use a card - The last ESET licence early this year was from a German official reseller that is slightly cheaper & accepts PayPal.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I like ESET & have done for years, it is very expensive & the ESET UK site does not accept PayPal my preferred purchase on the web. I wont use a card - The last ESET licence early this year was from a German official reseller that is slightly cheaper & accepts PayPal.
You can always sign up for Revolut on the phone and use a virtual card. Thats what I do

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
You can always sign up for Revolut on the phone and use a virtual card. Thats what I do
That's one way, I've spent lots with PayPal buying & selling & they have been first class (got refunds) on the odd occasion I've had issues, I get 4 months free credit over £100 if I choose to - They have never let me down once - It's actually rare for a seller not to use PayPal - Anyway I probably wont be buying further licences from ESET & I've got twice a 10 seat two year Kaspersky KIS for the cost of a 3 seat one year ESET licence - Anyway off topic so wont comment again.

Last edited:

The Ordynary

Level 3
Apr 26, 2020
cons

1 - Module of weak or practically nonexistent behavior.

2 - detection of pups by default is weak, only excellent when maximum protection is set, which will cause false positives.

3- It has already consumed less resources of the machine.

4 - it is not so automatic, sometimes requiring user interaction, which is not good for the lay user.

5 - A little old interface.

6- average performance in the main tests - Av test - Av comparatives.

7- Web filter has dropped yield.

Rollers127

Level 1
Jan 4, 2020
cons

2 - detection of pups by default is weak, only excellent when maximum protection is set, which will cause false positives.

3- It has already consumed less resources of the machine.

4 - it is not so automatic, sometimes requiring user interaction, which is not good for the lay user.

5 - A little old interface.

You are not a fan then :D

Marcos

From ESET
Verified
Developer
Jun 13, 2013
cons
Unfortunately it's not clear what you mean. Please elaborate.

Well, according to the others ESET has an excellent detection of pot. unwanted applications. It is not clear based on what you've made such statement. Also it's not clear what you mean by maximum protection; setting the detection level to aggressive should not increase the number of PUA FPs.

Cleaning is fully automatic. Basically only if there is a system file infected with a non-cleanable virus the user should be prompted for an action. This is because automatic deletion of such file could render the OS non-functional.

The differences in tests are very minimal when it comes to missed malware. However, in terms of false positives and performance, ESET is typically in top 3 if not the first.

It is not clear what you mean. ESET uses one of the strongest web protection modules compared with other AVs. Please elaborate.

The Ordynary

Level 3
Apr 26, 2020
Unfortunately it's not clear what you mean. Please elaborate.

Well, according to the others ESET has an excellent detection of pot. unwanted applications. It is not clear based on what you've made such statement. Also it's not clear what you mean by maximum protection; setting the detection level to aggressive should not increase the number of PUA FPs.

Cleaning is fully automatic. Basically only if there is a system file infected with a non-cleanable virus the user should be prompted for an action. This is because automatic deletion of such file could render the OS non-functional.

The differences in tests are very minimal when it comes to missed malware. However, in terms of false positives and performance, ESET is typically in top 3 if not the first.

It is not clear what you mean. ESET uses one of the strongest web protection modules compared with other AVs. Please elaborate.
1 - yes, pup detection is excellent only when the secure application module is activated, which increases the number of false positives and considers legitimate installers such as utorrent as a threat.

2 - Self-respecting antivirus should not ask for user intervention, Bitdefender does not ask under any circumstances. Kaspersky also does not delete files from the system but is less intrusive than ESET.

3 - This minimal difference makes all the difference in the long run, first-tier Antivirus stays on top of the tests constantly and not only in isolated tests, Yes Eset is only good in false positive tests. In that he is incredible.

4 - Eset's Web filter is good but it is already inferior to Bitdefender and Kaspersky, even Malware bytes is better.

Mod Edit: cleaned up reply removing unnecessary comments

Last edited by a moderator:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I will intervene here and lay this out:
This thread was originally a review from a user who provided his opinion. Throughout the thread there has been discussion and various opinions, which are fine, however the moment sarcastic/inappropriate behaviour start to appear, this is where we in MT will not tolerate.

I have already cleaned up the thread and took the appropriate actions.

To summarize, majority of the users see ESET as a good product, some users do not, and that is fine, however forcing an opinion and displaying sarcastic and unnecessary behvaiours will not be tolerated. This includes unnecessary posts like: I already answered you, followed by another post with answers.

Also: one must understand you simply cannot use the same concept of standard AV solutions and apply to every other solution.

ESET doesn't work the same way as Norton or Kaspersky or any other solution for that matter.

Thread will remain open for further discussion but please keep it civil when entering constructive feedback territory.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.