App Review Eset Smart Security Premium

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Product name
Eset Smart Security Premium
Installation (rating)
5.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
Clear UI to users especially for setup
Performance (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
I tweaked the settings of HIPS and AI machine learning helps
Browser protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Many features
    • Low impact on system resources
    • Highly configurable
    • Easy to use
    • Simple and non-intrusive
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Consistently high test scores
    • Accurate results and reliable antivirus engine
    • Effective malicious URL blocking
    • Virus signatures are updated daily
    • Excellent scores in independent tests
    • Great value for money
    • Effective malware removal
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Can be costly to run
Time spent using product
Computer specs
  • Device brand and model: Asus Zenbook Flip 14
  • CPU Model: Intel Ice Lake 10th Generation
  • GPU Model: Nvidia MX250
  • RAM: 16 GB
  • Storage Type: SSD 1 TB
Recommended for
  1. All types of users
  2. Inexperienced users
  3. Experienced users
  4. Financial banking or trading
  5. High-end or medium spec PCs
  6. Low spec PCs
Overall rating
5.00 star(s)

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
What is your opinion on Chrome coming with ESET built in?

ESET is arguably the best AV and the only one I would install (again). Zero trackers, no selling your data, machine code makes it super light and fast. Only downside is the UI and the business model. It makes no sense lol. Of course everyone wants Smart Premium. The regular AV or Premium are not worth the money.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
What is your opinion on Chrome coming with ESET built in?

ESET is arguably the best AV and the only one I would install (again). Zero trackers, no selling your data, machine code makes it super light and fast. Only downside is the UI and the business model. It makes no sense lol. Of course everyone wants Smart Premium. The regular AV or Premium are not worth the money.
I honestly cannot say on this one simply because not once I had to ESET detecting PUAs in my systems, even my son's one.
Last time I tested PUAs detection and removal was a few months back and it worked as expected.

But thats talking specifically within ESET
now applying such technology to a browser, I am not sure. I do hope it will work fine with barely any false positives. I do wonder what will happen when there are false positives, how do chrome users report it.

Bonorex

Level 1
Jun 12, 2020
If Google's Chrome Cleanup doesn't really have any impact on PC's performance, than Google should be praised for the move. Some time ago I used Malwarebytes as my second opinion scanner, but I dropped it once that I found Eset's Online scanner. In my opinion, ESET's scanner is really good in identifying PUA's, and gives no particular problems of false positives. Since ESET is one of the AVs with the smallest amount of false positives, Google's add on could represent a good solution for those that want a reliable second opinion on their AV's PUA findings.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
no selling your data
That we don't know. and i am pretty sure you don't know too, unless you are their CEO or something then let us know!
this business with users data is going to be always a thing and we cannot be never ever sure that which one is trusted so if anyone care about this matter still in 2020, should use an AV made in their own country.

ESET is a great product great company and ofc one of the best i remember i had a friend used to do some hacking stuff and the only AV he used to trust was ESET not sure why never asked but there has to be something that ESET is ESET for years now..

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
That we don't know. and i am pretty sure you don't know too, unless you are their CEO or something then let us know!
this business with users data is going to be always a thing and we cannot be never ever sure that which one is trusted so if anyone care about this matter still in 2020, should use an AV made in their own country.

ESET is a great product great company and ofc one of the best i remember i had a friend used to do some hacking stuff and the only AV he used to trust was ESET not sure why never asked but there has to be something that ESET is ESET for years now..
True. That was an assumption from me based on this:

And Exodus saying that there are no trackers in ESET for Android at least unlike many other AVs. If ESET sells your data then they must be using in-house tools but I'm going on a limb and say they don't because reputation matters to them.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Hi man, can you help me to import this url ? Thank
Post #15

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Just installed ESET IS on two Pc's - Nod32 was maybe the first AV I ever bought when I were just a lad in short trousers - From my point of view trustable, they really need to get rid of the android, & the firewall could be easier to configure but nowts perfect :):)
Embrace the goofy android. They’re your friend, they just want to protect you.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Oh Eset <3

ESET, I was a user of Smart Security / Internet Security since 2008.
I've always loved it for its lightness, its detection ability which is just insane, and one of the few to block LPIs and RATs!

The only problem I have with it is its HIPS. It is too light for me.
By default, ESET will only protect its files and modules. But in case of unknown malware, ESET will let it pass...

Some users have created configuration files to overcome this problem, or use Voodooshield too.

For the moment I am with F-Secure which is very good, see if I go back to ESET once my license is finished :D

czesetfan

Level 3
Dec 3, 2021
It seems that due to a work method/error (?) it is actually non-functional to protect files from being changed in the "protected" folder. Implementation instructions here:
Implement Protected Folders via HIPS

Just rename the directory and the protection is broken.

The moderator says that a separate protection rule needs to be created for each parent folder.
You cannot use \* at the end of the path. That's why I wrote:

You must create another similar rule for the folder itself, with the target path set exactly to
D:\frog

ESET's "official" instructions (2/2020) for creating a HIPS rule to protect a folder: hips-configuration

Can anyone verify this? How is it then? :unsure:

Reactions: Nevi and Venustus

BigWrench

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
Oh Eset <3

ESET, I was a user of Smart Security / Internet Security since 2008.
I've always loved it for its lightness, its detection ability which is just insane, and one of the few to block LPIs and RATs!

The only problem I have with it is its HIPS. It is too light for me.
By default, ESET will only protect its files and modules. But in case of unknown malware, ESET will let it pass...

Some users have created configuration files to overcome this problem, or use Voodooshield too.

For the moment I am with F-Secure which is very good, see if I go back to ESET once my license is finished :D

E21240EC-9314-416A-B266-AA70E212BFA7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.