ESET Smart Security vs Bitdefender Internet Security vs Kaspersky Internet Security

  • Total voters
    81
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff member
I have to go with KIS 2013 just because I think it's a little better on the detection rate with less false positives than Nod32 Smart Security.I will admit though that KIS 2013 is a bit of a memory hog over some of the others.I am beta testing Nod32 Smart Security 6 and I like it a better than Eset Nod32 version 5 but not sure on final release if I will like it enough to switch from KIS.I really think it comes down to personal preference and what you feel comfortable using.I have tried many but seem to stick with KIS and Nod32 but Im going to give the edge to KIS 2013
 

Littlebits

Retired Staff
I couldn't count the number of times that I had to remove BitDefender, Kaspersky, McAfee and Norton from my customer's system because they caused problems.

I never experienced issues with ESET, therefore it is the only paid AV that I will recommend besides paid versions of Avast, AVG and Panda Cloud.

Good day.:D
 

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff member
Littlebits said:
I couldn't count the number of times that I had to remove BitDefender, Kaspersky, McAfee and Norton from my customer's system because they caused problems.

I never experienced issues with ESET, therefore it is the only paid AV that I will recommend besides paid versions of Avast, AVG and Panda Cloud.

Good day.:D
Never really had a problem with Kaspersky{The more recent versions} but that Norton really messes up some machines and can be difficult to remove.It always has high detection ratings but there are other options that are just as good.If a new PC comes bundled with a Norton trial thats the first thing I remove...lol and Instal ESET Nod32
 

mercurial

New Member
White Nobster said:
Littlebits said:
I couldn't count the number of times that I had to remove BitDefender, Kaspersky, McAfee and Norton from my customer's system because they caused problems.
Never really had a problem with Kaspersky
I to never had any issues with Bitdefender, Kaspersky and Norton. Though i will admit that both Kaspersky and Bitdefender are a heavy on the resource which sort of slow downs most of the older pc's (a couple of my gamer friends uninstalled KIS and BIS just for the fact that it slowed down their pc and hogged a lot of RAM) , though if you have a new system you wont really notice much of a difference if you are a normal user unless you go into details :p.
 

Littlebits

Retired Staff
mercurial said:
White Nobster said:
Littlebits said:
I couldn't count the number of times that I had to remove BitDefender, Kaspersky, McAfee and Norton from my customer's system because they caused problems.
Never really had a problem with Kaspersky
I to never had any issues with Bitdefender, Kaspersky and Norton. Though i will admit that both Kaspersky and Bitdefender are a heavy on the resource which sort of slow downs most of the older pc's (a couple of my gamer friends uninstalled KIS and BIS just for the fact that it slowed down their pc and hogged a lot of RAM) , though if you have a new system you wont really notice much of a difference if you are a normal user unless you go into details :p.
Even newer budget systems can have problems with BitDefender, Kaspersky, McAfeee and Norton. You have to think the majority of PC users are using a cheap budget systems because that is all they can afford. In my area all of the electronic stores only sale cheap budget systems, if you want a better performance system you have to order them online or go to a custom PC shop and have them to build you one.
Or you can order the parts online and build you own. That is the way it is across most of the USA. High performance systems just don't sale, because electronic stores don't keep them in stock.

The majority of my customers have a budget system that they bought from Wal-Mart with an OEM antivirus pre-installed. Most of the time the system requirements is not even meet for the pre-install antivirus.

Thanks.:D
 
D

Deleted member 178

I really agree with you. In Vietnam some of my customers came with a pc and complain it is too slow; they think it is a virus, i turn it on, it took ages to boot, finally when the desktop appearsan old outdated KIS appears. XP system with less than 512mb RAM...i replaced KIS by Avast or PCAV; no more problem.
 

mercurial

New Member
Even newer budget systems can have problems with BitDefender, Kaspersky, McAfeee and Norton. You have to think the majority of PC users are using a cheap budget systems because that is all they can afford. In my area all of the electronic stores only sale cheap budget systems, if you want a better performance system you have to order them online or go to a custom PC shop and have them to build you one.
Or you can order the parts online and build you own. That is the way it is across most of the USA. High performance systems just don't sale, because electronic stores don't keep them in stock.

The majority of my customers have a budget system that they bought from Wal-Mart with an OEM antivirus pre-installed. Most of the time the system requirements is not even meet for the pre-install antivirus.

Thanks.:D
Yes i do agree to that point, not every one can afford a good system and all the above are a pain when it comes to resource hogging, though i am curious to why you are having issues with Norton cuz i have used Norton 360 5.0 and NIS 2012 on some older pc's and i did not notice much of a resource issue as one would find with KIS, BIS and McAfee. In any case the type of AV / Security suite also depends upon the user of the PC, if he's a paranoid user no amounts of security products are gonna satisfy him. Though most of the people are pretty much satisfied with MSE + Windows 7 FW combo or Panda Cloud free AV + Windows 7 Fw or just Avast (That's what i usually recommend to most user on a budget pc and if they feel that Windows 7 fw ain't enough i just add Zone Alarm FW to it and it make's their day :D)
 

mercurial

New Member
Umbra Corp. said:
I really agree with you. In Vietnam some of my customers came with a pc and complain it is too slow; they think it is a virus, i turn it on, it took ages to boot, finally when the desktop appearsan old outdated KIS appears. XP system with less than 512mb RAM...i replaced KIS by Avast or PCAV; no more problem.
:p hahahaha I have faced that as well, the horror of windows taking forever to load and then seeing the message " You system is protected by Kaspersky AV / Internet Security 20-- " just jump to uninstall KIS, clean registry restart and the system runs smoothly :p
 

malbky

New Member
There is no really one good suite. One good for you may be crap for me. It depends on system to system and user to user but we can share our thoughts and expericencs
Bitdefender
2012 was bad 2013 was great. I never felt it to be rushed out. About a 100mb initially update and then its incremental.
Great detection and firewall
Autopilot will not bother you at all. But you need to keep on checking logs to see if anything was detected.
Traffic light is cross browser and also works on opera.
If you want more protection, switch BDIS Intrusion detection system, and just see its protection, but lot of fps.
No great cloud integration.
Kaspersky:-
Medium system resource usage.
Exploit prevention which really works.
Great detection
Even when all settings are high kaspersky does not bother you much and properly uses the cloud.
A lengthy cursed initially update. I have good internet speed but kaspersky servers does not give me that much.
After that initial update its all great.
ESET:-
Talkative HIPS.
Really have never tried v5 much to comment.
 
P

Plexx

malbky said:
ESET:-
Talkative HIPS.
Really have never tried v5 much to comment.
Talkative HIPS if you are on Interactive mode. There are other modes to use.

Next time try ESET properly before just saying its a Talkative HIPS.
 

malbky

New Member
No thats why I said i did not use it much. But i generally prefer the HIPS on. I gave a comparisn of the highest settings.
Sorry mods.
 

Spirit

New Member
Everyone have their likes and dislikes and it depends on user computer and habit which one suites him/her.You have mention 3 products which all are great and have good reputation in av market and almost remain in top 5 list everywhere,its you who have to choose what you need and which is friendly on your machine.
Remember Detection rate is not all thing one need in an av and sometimes some av is such a mess on a machine that its hard to use it,in my case I cannot run anything when I scan my pc with Bitdefender so I get rid of it although 2013 version is light with good protection.

A normal av+firewall+safe practice makes you more safe then installing too much on machine.
 

Lukajlo

Level 2
Verified
BitDefender is simple the best AV. Very low on system memory, awsome protection, great in cleaning too and the last, maybe even most important, he won reward for Best AV in 2012. So, like I said, simple the best. :)
 

mercurial

New Member
Littlebits said:
According only to detection rate by AV testing sites:

1. Kaspersky
2. BitDefender
3. ESET
Just a small mistake, i hope you don't mind me correcting it.

Detection rate by AV testing sites
1. BitDefender (The AV-TEST AWARD FOR BEST PROTECTION 2011 will be presented to the best product of the year in terms of its protective effect as a security solution. The candidates were examined using a variety of types of current malware in order to test how they respond to threats. These examinations took the entire functionality of the protection programs into account.
Home User: Bitdefender Internet Security) Source : AV-Test.org
2. Kaspersky
3. ESET

Though it's a very small margin. :)

Repair rate by AV testing sites
1. Kaspersky
2. BitDefender
3. ESET
 

Littlebits

Retired Staff
mercurial said:
Littlebits said:
According only to detection rate by AV testing sites:

1. Kaspersky
2. BitDefender
3. ESET
Just a small mistake, i hope you don't mind me correcting it.

Detection rate by AV testing sites
1. BitDefender (The AV-TEST AWARD FOR BEST PROTECTION 2011 will be presented to the best product of the year in terms of its protective effect as a security solution. The candidates were examined using a variety of types of current malware in order to test how they respond to threats. These examinations took the entire functionality of the protection programs into account.
Home User: Bitdefender Internet Security) Source : AV-Test.org
2. Kaspersky
3. ESET

Though it's a very small margin. :)

Repair rate by AV testing sites
1. Kaspersky
2. BitDefender
3. ESET
I'm talking about over the years Kaspersky has always had a better detection rate than BitDefender. Just because BitDefender has did better on some recent tests doesn't mean it will have a better detection rate than Kaspersky. It still has a lot of catching up. Only time will tell if it can keep up the good detection rate or if it will slip again.

Kaspersky has a long history of excellent detection rate according to many testing organizations.

Thanks.:D
 

mercurial

New Member
Yes i agree to that, Kaspersky has been providing excellent security solution from years it's always been a leader when it come's to detection, but Bitdefender in recent test have proven to be the better product in terms of detection at least i believe it's 7 times in a row that Bitdefender has the highest detection rate.
 

maaster

Level 1
Detection doesn't alone matter....other factors such as false positives,resource usage etc too matter!
 
D

Deleted member 178

Honestly knowing which is the better is pointless. Every year the hand changes.
Anyway better use a "good" product where you know every tweaks that the best one of the moment without knowing how it works.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.