Hot Take Evaluate your content blocker with Ad Block Tester

CyberTech

Level 44
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
How good is a content blocker? You could say that it is great if undesirable content is blocked while content that you want to access is not, but that is only taking content that you could identify visually into account. Most content blockers reveal information about the level of blocking, e.g. how many items were blocked and how many were not.

Ad Block Tester is a free service on the Internet to evaluate content blocking solutions. It is not designed to be a benchmark, but it reveals the level of blocking against a set of hosts that are very popular.

Just visit the Ad Block Tester website to get started. The test runs for a couple of seconds before the results are displayed. You get a percentage score, e.g. 84% of hosts blocked, and a list of blocked and allowed hosts afterwards.

The rest and the images

Homepage

Last edited by a moderator:

rndmblk

Level 3
Nov 18, 2020
I got 84% as well on Edge on mobile. Of as much interest as the percentage was the list of URLs they were testing against. I had heard of the ad, analytics and social ones but not the error tracker urls.

In the last days this tool had of lot of attention , but seems something it's not clear . The test it's not a benchmark tool , and is not a race about who make 100% , it's a reference tool to check if you are blocking any of the host , in this case are used the most important hosts by category and popularity as reference

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
82% on mobile (Safari) and 94% on Desktop (Firefox)

Desktop:
Unbenannt.PNG

Last edited:

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
How's that?

In the last days this tool had of lot of attention , but seems something it's not clear . The test it's not a benchmark tool , and is not a race about who make 100% , it's a reference tool to check if you are blocking any of the host , in this case are used the most important hosts by category and popularity as reference.

Blocking everything may lead to sites not working correctly and so on, thats why my favorite DNS list is OISD (present in NextDNS).

Ps: I got 100 % and I would be totally okay if I got less.

AYhmoNq.jpg

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Blocking everything may lead to sites not working correctly and so on, thats why my favorite DNS list is OISD (present in NextDNS).

Ps: I got 100 % and I would be totally okay if I got less.

lI5QGLX.jpg
True, but the sites that I added to the denylist are barely/never used in my case. And the ones blocked before (94%) didn't cause any problems either. But you are right in general. (y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.