Never notify (disabled)
Real-time security
Avast Premier (HM aggressive), Voodooshield Pro, Shadow Defender
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
Zemana portable, herdProtect, Emsisoft EK, VirusTotal Uploader, Hitman Pro
Malware sample testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Google Chrome x64, uBlock Origin, Avira Browser Safety, Popup Blocker (strict), Checker Plus for Gmail™, h264ify, Violentmoney, VTchromizer, uBlock Origin Extra, GIFUR
Maintenance tools
CCleaner (CCenhancer-ed), Privazer, DiskMax, Spybot Anti-beacon, O&O ShutUp, Everything
File and Photo backup
Windows built-in
System recovery
Norton Ghost (Hirenboot CD)
Computer specs
https://malwaretips.com/threads/rains-laptop.61841/

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Added:
- Zemana AntiLogger Premium beta (lifetime license): ID Theft Protection disabled (it blocks the tool to type in my language, turn it on when banking)

Removed:
- Voodooshield -> freezing issue is too annoying
- some chrome extensions: Web Boost, Stealth mode, Stylish, animation policy

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Added: avast free

Removed:
- KIS 2017 - temporary
- HMP.A - conflicted with a game, unable to run without any notification, even added to exclusion -> uninstalled -> the game was able to run

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Added: KIS 2017

Removed: Avast free
- I had a problem with windows firewall which didn't allow me to host a game in local network although I set up all the rules to allow inbound/outbound connections. KIS firewall doesn't have this problem
- Avast free significantly slowed down boot speed comapared to KIS but it was a bit lighter than KIS while using the laptop. Both tweaked and defragged with self-defense disabled while defragging, re-enabled after

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Restored windows10AU from GHOST image backup

Added: HitmanPro.Alert (tweaked)
Removed: Zemana AntiLogger (still had bug with my typing tool)

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Great config. For backing up your PC, recommend keeping it light and fast. Disk imager will take a while to image. Rollback Rx will be a lot faster, and it has a free version (Home Edition). Definitely recommend that. Still a really good config!
My pc cannot use Rollback Rx. It crashed all the time during installation. Img backup with system retore have been working well for me. I just backup system image once every 2-3 months or even longer. Rollback Rx, I have to install it while for norton ghost, I dont have to by using a bootable USB

Thank you for your suggestion

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
My pc cannot use Rollback Rx. It crashed all the time during installation. Img backup with system retore have been working well for me. I just backup system image once every 2-3 months or even longer. Rollback Rx, I have to install it while for norton ghost, I dont have to by using a bootable USB

Thank you for your suggestion

Very strange. I've never had those issues. Still though crashing computers ain't cool

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Very strange. I've never had those issues. Still though crashing computers ain't cool
my computer rejected to anything that touches the HDD. for example, none of the bootable tools to read or modify disk are usable although I disabled secure boot and set boot mode into legacy.
mini windows xp (to rescue windows) cannot be booted, it shuts down immediately

JHomes

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2016
my computer rejected to anything that touches the HDD. for example, none of the bootable tools to read or modify disk are usable although I disabled secure boot and set boot mode into legacy.
mini windows xp (to rescue windows) cannot be booted, it shuts down immediately

I mean that's very strange. The worst part is I'm pretty knowledgable on the program but not enough to really give you a reason as to why.

My first thought: Is Bitlocker enabled? RollBack Rx encrypts the drive and because Microsoft is full of not-so-smart people you can only have one level of encryption on a drive.

I'm just thinking, if you backup every 2-3 months that's (potentially) a lot of lost data. I backup weekly and use RollBack for a quick daily backup. This is why I was thinking RollBack could fill in that period between months. TBH though, if the data isn't that important then what's the loss? I have a few machines personally that if they crashed I'd just re-format I don't really care about their data.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I mean that's very strange. The worst part is I'm pretty knowledgable on the program but not enough to really give you a reason as to why.

My first thought: Is Bitlocker enabled? RollBack Rx encrypts the drive and because Microsoft is full of not-so-smart people you can only have one level of encryption on a drive.

I'm just thinking, if you backup every 2-3 months that's (potentially) a lot of lost data. I backup weekly and use RollBack for a quick daily backup. This is why I was thinking RollBack could fill in that period between months. TBH though, if the data isn't that important then what's the loss? I have a few machines personally that if they crashed I'd just re-format I don't really care about their data.
hi. thank you for your informative answers. Im using w10 home so no bitlocker for me
I put everything into drive D or E and important data are backed up into the cloud services. I can wipe my whole pc without problems, maybe game data should be saved before wiping. Otherwise I dont have any valuable data, just exe files, craps and games
Because of this I totally dont need daily/weekly backup. I just backup system image when it is stable and when I have some unrepairable bugs, I will restore it

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Removed:
- HitmanPro.Alert: caused increased CPU usage with a noticeable (not really significant) drop in general performance, especially with browsing
- Zemana AntiLogger: still hasn't fix typing issue, a slight battery drainer which caused >3% of battery usage (58% battery left while KIS 2017 <1% according to windows 10 Settings -> battery). Moreover, process lasso showed ZAM.exe was restrained for several minutes although I didnt interact with it -> potential cause of performance drop

Added:
- Crystal Security portable: quite light but memory usage is quite high after executing a lot of apps, reverted to an acceptable level then. Much more stable than the last month

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.