Troubleshoot Explorer.exe is not a valid win32 application. Please help!!!

CycloneTutorials

Thread author
May 19, 2011
The other day I was scanning my PC and removing my threats, after I removed then and I rebooted. The next day and I was copying my files to my USB and shut downed my PC.

The next day when I rebooted it, the whole PC went black, I can't see anything, task bar, explorer, my computers, icons etc. And when I open Task Manager and type explorer.exe it says "explorer.exe is not a valid win32 application". Can anyone help me with this? I went to repair my PC using Windows 7 DVD but the results were the same. I googled it about the help but no similar results found. Does anyone know how to fix it? I think my explorer.exe is corrupted, how do I get a fresh new explorer.exe?

I tried to system restore but it said no restore points found.

The only thing I use to open firefox, games etc is Task Manager > CMD. I can't open any folders or file, I have to go to the directory in CMD and run it.

Thank You.
P.S. I have posted this post on every security forum, MalwareTips is my last hope.

CycloneTutorials

Thread author
May 19, 2011
WinAndLinuxTutorials said:
CycloneTutorials said:
CT, Please Download this file: http://download1372.mediafire.com/5s3o7i3xiahg/1cf8u56agdiedlg/Explorer.exe+file+%28Windows+7+Professional+64-bit%29.zip
We were lucky to have the Same OS, but is yours SP1???

Yes. Its SP1. I replaced it but it was the same.

I think that a registry value may be corrupted, I don't know. Please try to post your problem here: www.askvg.com/frequently-asked-problems-with-solutions/

Will do that, thanks.

Any other help you got?

Upvote 0
V

Vextor

I had the same problem a few days ago, but I had a backup of explorer.exe using Windows Start Button Changer, then I re-instated that and did a system restore and my PC is now fine. I had scanned with MBAM before, and had updated Emsisoft, but nothing else was unusual.
Have you used any Cleaning Software, like TuneUp or CCleaner? Maybe a reg error from that?
Anyway, try Safe Mode (it worked for me) and try System Restore.

Upvote 0

CycloneTutorials

Thread author
May 19, 2011
bbbbweb said:
I had the same problem a few days ago, but I had a backup of explorer.exe using Windows Start Button Changer, then I re-instated that and did a system restore and my PC is now fine. I had scanned with MBAM before, and had updated Emsisoft, but nothing else was unusual.
Have you used any Cleaning Software, like TuneUp or CCleaner? Maybe a reg error from that?

When I system restore, it says "No restore points found". I created plenty of restore points, sucks.

Yes, If I go in safe mode I can see my explorer. But not in Normal Mode. :/

Upvote 0

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
CycloneTutorials said:
bbbbweb said:

When I system restore, it says "No restore points found". I created plenty of restore points, sucks.

Yes, If I go in safe mode I can see my explorer. But not in Normal Mode. :/

It seems that you know how to work with the computer properly in normal mode. If you don't know you can open Task manager and use it to switch between windows and to run programs and commands. It is extremely helpful for me. Try to use something like RKill. It may be a process causing this think which may be not discovered by the antivirus vendors.

Upvote 0

CycloneTutorials

Thread author
May 19, 2011
It seems that you know how to work with the computer properly in normal mode. If you don't know you can open Task manager and use it to switch between windows and to run programs and commands. It is extremely helpful for me. Try to use something like RKill. It may be a process causing this think which may be not discovered by the antivirus vendors.

Yes, I know how to use CMD, Task Manager in Normal Mode. I am good at scanning and removing, and there is not any malwares or virus. You got something else buddy?

Upvote 0

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
CycloneTutorials said:
Yes, I know how to use CMD, Task Manager in Normal Mode. I am good at scanning and removing, and there is not any malwares or virus. You got something else buddy?

Jk6Bn.png
:D

Upvote 0

CycloneTutorials

Thread author
May 19, 2011
MrXidus said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FT42A6iYWj8&feature=feedu

Did it like 5 hours ago, same results, what the hell is this machine's prob? ;C

CycloneTutorials said:
Have you tried to run the command sfc /scannow?

Yes I did, it had same results.

Is the problem still there?

Yes man. :mad:

Upvote 0

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
Agreed, try to reformat. Just don't play with system files a lot, and don't use an aggressive registry cleaner, that of CCleaner is very good (also backup the registry before cleaning it from errors).

Upvote 0

CycloneTutorials

Thread author
May 19, 2011
Sorry guys, I can't format, nearly 150 of programs are installed, photoshop brushes, fonts, my files and I don't really have space in my EXHDD to copy all these files. I want to get a new EXHDD. If you guys say me to format, but let me try something else.

I'll replace my Windows System32 folder with the fresh new Windows System32 folder that came in Windows 7 DVD. How's that? I'll create a restore point before doing this so that I don't mess up.

Upvote 0

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
CycloneTutorials said:
Sorry guys, I can't format, nearly 150 of programs are installed, photoshop brushes, fonts, my files and I don't really have space in my EXHDD to copy all these files. I want to get a new EXHDD. If you guys say me to format, but let me try something else.

I'll replace my Windows System32 folder with the fresh new Windows System32 folder that came in Windows 7 DVD. How's that? I'll create a restore point before doing this so that I don't mess up.

Try to run sfc /scannow from the Windows 7 CD, I am sure you know how to do this.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.