Troubleshoot Explorer.exe is not a valid win32 application. Please help!!!

CycloneTutorials

Thread author
May 19, 2011
The other day I was scanning my PC and removing my threats, after I removed then and I rebooted. The next day and I was copying my files to my USB and shut downed my PC.

The next day when I rebooted it, the whole PC went black, I can't see anything, task bar, explorer, my computers, icons etc. And when I open Task Manager and type explorer.exe it says "explorer.exe is not a valid win32 application". Can anyone help me with this? I went to repair my PC using Windows 7 DVD but the results were the same. I googled it about the help but no similar results found. Does anyone know how to fix it? I think my explorer.exe is corrupted, how do I get a fresh new explorer.exe?

I tried to system restore but it said no restore points found.

The only thing I use to open firefox, games etc is Task Manager > CMD. I can't open any folders or file, I have to go to the directory in CMD and run it.

Thank You.
P.S. I have posted this post on every security forum, MalwareTips is my last hope.

TheChizzaberry81

Nov 1, 2014
This happened to me a lot of times because I changed the start orb. But in your case it looks like a virus. But I hope the solution which I will give to you works.
That is what caused my problem and black screen. I have Windows 7 Ultimate and wanted the change the theme of my desktop. I installed something I think called Clean 2 custom skin from deviantart using CustoPack. I then downloaded the Windows 7 Orb Changer program and installed a custom orb .bmp file, it worked like normal. I kept getting a 'could not find the BMP file' error on startup but I could close that and it would go away like normal, so I used 'patch using resources' button and the 'file could not be found' message appeared. I restarted my PC and after startup it now has a blank black screen.

I restored to a point using System Restore about 2 days before I change my theme and used the Orb Changer, but the black screen problem still persists. I also ran sfc/scannow by opening the cmd prompt via Task Manager and showed result: 'Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log. For example C:\Windows
Logs\CBS\CBS/log'.

Of course I don't know or are unable to view or analyse these files because of this black screen which restricts me to using Task Manager and opening .exe files through there. I am currently on an alternate laptop trying to find an answer, and it seems like you or anyone else here may know a resolution.

Thanks

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.