Advice Request Exporting Google Authenticator codes to a Different Authenticator App

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
With much talk about the encryption and backup methods of Google Authenticator recently, I am seriously considering exporting my codes from my Google Authenticator to another Authenticator app.

Some apps indicate that my Android phone must be rooted which it is not, and in lieu of that when I search I cannot find any folder or files from Google Authenticator on my phone to export.

It seems that Google locks one into their own Authenticator universe limiting transfer to another GA on another phone if necessary.

Any suggestions or solutions? It would a hassle to start loading 2FA codes from scratch again. Thanks.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Yes, you can export the QRCODES I posted in another topic about this here and here and you will get the answer. ;) I recommend Authenticators like Aegis Authenticator or 2FA Authenticator (2FAS) (y)
Thanks so much piquiteco, I followed your suggestions setting up Link My PC to my Samsung phone so that I could scan all my GA QR Export Tokens/Codes into Aegis and worked like a charm. Always MalwareTips to the rescue.

• Thanks
Reactions: piquiteco
Upvote 0

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
Thanks so much piquiteco, I followed your suggestions setting up Link My PC to my Samsung phone so that I could scan all my GA QR Export Tokens/Codes into Aegis and worked like a charm. Always MalwareTips to the rescue.
Glad it worked, that's very nice to hear. Thanks for the feedback! ;)
Been using it for years on all my Apple iOS devices, great little app.
Yes, it still allows you to set a password to store in the encrypted GD, something google has not introduced in GA yet, it encrypts first on the device with a password before sending in the cloud. I don't think many people know this. Literally 2FAS has outsmarted google.:LOL:

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.