Nevi

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Hi folks
I got my beta Expres VPN with Lightway this morning, and it's faster than the old protocols. Not turbo faster, but fast enough that you notice.
I will try different configs later today, to explore it a little.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Lightway is ExpressVPN’s pioneering new VPN protocol, built for an always-on world. It makes your VPN experience speedier, more secure, and more reliable than ever. Designed to be light on its feet, Lightway runs faster, uses less battery, and is easier to audit and maintain.

Nevi

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
That's a shame, but as a beta, some could get in problems like yourself. It's running real fine on my system. But they probably get the problems out soon. It has a faster response time than my old config. Which was IKE v2 over the Netherlands. The funny thing is Denmark which is my country, it took 40% away from the speed. Weird.:)

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Hi folks
I got my beta Expres VPN with Lightway this morning, and it's faster than the old protocols. Not turbo faster, but fast enough that you notice.
I will try different configs later today, to explore it a little.

In price to? The VPNs are ridiculous expensive, one year 90€!!!! I think is too much to what they all offer....

Nevi

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Yes it's more expensive than others. I paid what is around 90$, for 15 months. Not that bad for a really good very fast VPN. But people that dont wanna pay that, can use another of the many VPNs that dont take that much.

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Yes it's more expensive than others. I paid what is around 90$, for 15 months. Not that bad for a really good very fast VPN. But people that dont wanna pay that, can use another of the many VPNs that dont take that much.

I paid for NordVPN and I will nor duet again, comparing the price off a VPN with my license from KIS 25€, my security suite offers much more for less.
I think VPNs are a trend, most people don't really need one.

NordVPN has very good speeds comparing with others, I presume Express VPN too.

NordVPN speed right now:

1600860173427.png

davisd

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2019
I asked them that I was in need of Russian servers and if there's an ETA available.
The Russian Government passed a law that mandates that all VPN providers must log internet traffic for up to a year. In light of this increased restriction, we felt that customer security and privacy would be best served if we no longer had servers located in Russia.

That said, it isn't a matter of ETA since we will no longer support Russian servers since it goes against our advocacy and it's against our commitment to our users to never log their internet traffic.

Besides that, I always have had a good experience with ExpressVPN, really like that they include servers in Baltic States as well, that's uncommon for most VPN's.

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
That's a shame, but as a beta, some could get in problems like yourself. It's running real fine on my system. But they probably get the problems out soon. It has a faster response time than my old config. Which was IKE v2 over the Netherlands. The funny thing is Denmark which is my country, it took 40% away from the speed. Weird.:)
Hi, How nice I am also from Denmark Zealand, Bjæverskov.

I have 3 paid VPNs: ProtonVPN Plus+EkspressVPN & BitdefenderVPN Premium.
Good Speed overall.

This is on ProtonVPN Denmark-Sweden Connection my real speed is 300/50mbps.
1600864822764.png

Reactions: Cortex and Nevi

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Does it have TCP for Lightway?

I installed the latest beta, and unfortunately. it doesn't have TCP for Lightway. Also, the speeds were very bad for me.

Reactions: Cortex and Nevi

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Lightway is fascinating and yet another fork of WireGuard but written in a different language than Go.

-Even less code than WireGuard-Go
-Unlike WireGuard it supports hardware accelerated AES
-Yes it supports post-quantum encryption
-Instant connection
-More privacy

Some misleading marketing here though. Almost every VPN had to create their own version of WireGuard. Cloudflare wrote boringtun, NordVPN wrote NordLynx, Windscribe uses boringtun + big privacy enhancements + rotating pre-shared keys. The biggest thing Lightway did and it's the reason for its speed is that it combines the speed of WireGuard with AES hardware acceleration. The original WireGuard team did not want to implement AES because they are too tinfoil because of sidechannel attacks and a rumor that the NSA already broke AES.

Nevi

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 7, 2016
Hi, How nice I am also from Denmark Zealand, Bjæverskov.

I have 3 paid VPNs: ProtonVPN Plus+EkspressVPN & BitdefenderVPN Premium.
Good Speed overall.

This is on ProtonVPN Denmark-Sweden Connection my real speed is 300/50mbps.
View attachment 246566
Hello fellow Dane. Rart at møde dig.:)
This is mine, I also have 300/50 (Yousee), and Express VPN with lightway is almost giving me the same. The lightway protocol give around 10% increase in my speed.
Nevi speed.jpg.png

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.