Advice Request External dvd drive

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Takashi94

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Mar 11, 2018
I wanted to buy an external dvd drive. What's latest freshly released, best External portable dvd drive for fastest (16x?) dvd Read write speed, supoort all Cd, dvd formats including DVD-RW etc, as well as security, ie: secure firmware etc.
Regards.

Last edited:
Reactions: [correlate]

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
What's latest freshly released, best External portable dvd drive for fastest (16x?) dvd Read write speed, supoort all Cd, dvd formats including DVD-RW etc, as well as security, ie: secure firmware etc.
Regards.
There is no new inventions in this field. they are all dead or are dying...Secure firmware on dvd writer? what is the need for that? To my knowledge there is no Lan ports in a dvd writer, so there is no need to worry about security. Get anything in your budget and be done with it. it's going to extinct in a year or two. I have an external dvd writer and i don't even remember its name, don't know where i have put it. ts that useless now.

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
I have one with 10 years and still rocks, I don't think that were so many new features in this area. So pick a reputable brand and I think you will be fine.

2.jpg
1.jpg

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Unfortunately, I don't think there are many brands on the market today. There are also OEM brands, so fewer manufacturers should be making it.
I think it's okay to choose for convenience and cost performance rather than security. It is better to avoid products from companies that you have never heard of because of concerns such as warranty.
If I were in your position, I would buy a junk item in good condition. The reason is the frequency of use and the stagnation of hardware evolution.:)

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I think I have gone entire years without using mine... last time was a few months ago when I found some unlabeled DVDs when cleaning up and had no idea what was on them.
People can't help but be interested in unlabeled storage media.:ROFLMAO:

A few years ago, I needed the data from an MO disk I was using in the past and bought a junk MO drive. I haven't used it since I used it once.
As with FD, I was careful about the life of the storage media in the past, but I did not expect the hard drive to disappear from the store.

ColonelMal

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Jul 5, 2017
I use an external DVD writer as a fallback to my fallback backups. I store some critical data on DVDs because that is a different medium than what I use for my backups. However, I update this backup at irregular intervals.

EDIT: It's a Lenovo model that was given to me years ago.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.