New Update F-Secure 19.0 released

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

Is it just me or did F-Secure change its logo too?
It looks like a child did it....

F-Secure introduced this logo in 2014. It did not last very long.

1676521454861.png

The original F-Secure logo is a classic. It is hard to know why it was changed, but evidently marketing "experts" are trying to re-brand F-Secure's product lines in an attempt to gain market share.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
When logged into My FSecure after releasing the license and uninstalling it, I then chose to add a device to protect my main PC which downloaded the VM installer.
Yah but, if I don't want to "rush it" by releasing the license and uninstalling, in the near future it will auto-update, right? I'm new with FS, v18.5 is my first useage. I can wait a few more days before I start bending things. Smooth updates / installs are needed more than new logo, IMhO...

Bill K

Level 5
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
Yah but, if I don't want to "rush it" by releasing the license and uninstalling, in the near future it will auto-update, right? I'm new with FS, v18.5 is my first useage. I can wait a few more days before I start bending things. Smooth updates / installs are needed more than new logo, IMhO...
I would assume so but got impatient so I got the update manually, don't see any harm in waiting for it.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
This " new " ranking option where users also can report sites via the extension, don't seem to work in all officially supported browsers. I have only tested Edge and Firefox so far, and it works in Edge. Not sure what the problem is with FF, as update or try to re-install the extension don't help.
Report sent as it's an obvious issue with FFs extension. Confirmed also with other users.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
my F-Secure has not auto-updated yet, so I did 2 things, had an online chat with support, and then went reading the link that @upnorth provided. FAQ for 19.0 say:
"We have made the migration from F-Secure SAFE to the new F-Secure app really easy for you. You don't need to do anything. You will be migrated automatically to the new F-Secure app...We have started the migration for our current users. However, note that it may take a few weeks before you get the new F-Secure app." (emphasis added)
So there is not necessarily anything wrong with not having been updated yet. I will continue to wait as I'd like to see FS auto-update as this will be my first version update.
PS & fwiw: I rate my past telephone support with FS 5 out of 5 (+) but online chat 2 / 5. When asked, chat reply "probably a bug." But it could have said, "Normal, it may take a few weeks..."

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
there is not necessarily anything wrong with not having been updated yet. I will continue to wait as I'd like to see FS auto-update as this will be my first version update.
I agree, and extra since most in this version is " cosmetic " updates anyway.

it may take a few weeks before you get the new F-Secure app." (emphasis added)
Normally for some odd reason been the case with the automatic updates of their VPN Freedome. Now integrated with Internet Security ( previous SAFE ). Good link btw. (y)

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
F-Secure employs a conservative phased-rollout with its products.

Use a VPN and connect to an exit node in Finland. I bet F-Secure will update to 19.0.
Sure enough, Helsinki crowd gets better service from FS. I vpn'ed over to Suomi and hit manual check_now button at 2300UTC and it automatically updated, or I got a popup that said it updated. I haven't looked too deeply yet to see what's what. Systray icon looks a little different & history says updated to 19.0. @upnorth, the main page shows Privacy VPN -- Turn it ON, but question will that then immediately try to connect or does user still have control? I'm using Mullvad at the moment, and don't want to bump it off.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
FS vpn 19.0, I ran speedtest dot net in Edge browser tonight, I had also tested prior version vpn let's call it 18.5 (but IIRC its version number differed from SAFE). Ran test 2x and 19.0 was half the speed of 18.5. I had been getting 200+mbps down with 18.5, and tonight 19.0 was 100~mbps down. Different date fwiw :unsure: But for comparison tonight, Mullvad is 450 mbps down or 4+ times faster than FS vpn. That aside win10vm is very fast and snappy running 19.0, ie, my "feel" is that system is running snappier with 19.0 than with 18.5 and I thought 18.5 was fast. I have identical win10vm running Kaspersky Standard, and that system is noticeably slower in responding, ie, opening apps and web pages than FS 19.0. IF both give equal protection, FS is much better in system performance, at least here, tonight... Very happy with FS 19.0. :D🏆

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
the main page shows Privacy VPN -- Turn it ON, but question will that then immediately try to connect or does user still have control? I'm using Mullvad at the moment, and don't want to bump it off.
Less control, and it's one of the tweaks/improvements they need to do as the users now lost parts of the more granular control when the VPN was 100% standalone.

I had been getting 200+mbps down with 18.5, and tonight 19.0 was 100~mbps down. Different date fwiw :unsure: But for comparison tonight, Mullvad is 450 mbps down or 4+ times faster than FS vpn.
You can test and switch protocol to IKEv2 in the Privacy VPN settings. I'm unsure how much better it would be.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
@upnorth

Do you know of a reliable audit and test to confirm that F-Secure Protected Folders is working as-intended?
Good question. I do know they have extreme reliable and professional Red and Blue teams that does genuine audits, but since that is on business and enterprise environments your probably best chance would be their own official forum. Try first the Beta channels thread as normally their employees visit pretty regular.

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Report sent as it's an obvious issue with FFs extension. Confirmed also with other users.
I got the info on this already last week. I forgot to share it.

I haven't seen any official public posted statement or updates in their guides or on their forum unless that's been added now, but I was informed by one of their engineers that Firefoxs ( FF ) extension will not work as the other supported browsers where the users simply can click the extension and leave a suggested rating. I didn't get any exact reason/s other then a clear point towards their issues with FF last year.

Submit suspected sites is still available here:

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

Good question. I do know they have extreme reliable and professional Red and Blue teams that does genuine audits, but since that is on business and enterprise environments your probably best chance would be their own official forum. Try first the Beta channels thread as normally their employees visit pretty regular.

Thank you

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.