Advice Request F-secure bank protection issue with AdGuard DNS

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Zartarra

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2019
Hello

Is anyone using F-secure Safe in combination with AdGuard desktop version? I have a strange issue. When the bank protections kicks in, it blocks adguardsvc connections to 127.0.0.1. After that I cannot load a bank site. The issue seems to get triggered when using the DNS Protection in AdGuard. If I disable the DNS protection and make use of the ISP DNS or a custom DNS like NextDNS in a web browser, the banking protection starts and there is no issue with the bank sites. I never had this issue with the combo so it seems to be something recently.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
During an active banking mode, all other Internet connections are temporarily disabled. F-Secure secures a device quickly and automatically, but a user has a full control of everything. Banking protection from F-Secure prevents connections, so no malicious software can reach a hacker’s server.
This is what avlab.pl said about F-Secure's banking protection. So that could be the reason.

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

Hello

Is anyone using F-secure Safe in combination with AdGuard desktop version? I have a strange issue. When the bank protections kicks in, it blocks adguardsvc connections to 127.0.0.1. After that I cannot load a bank site. The issue seems to get triggered when using the DNS Protection in AdGuard. If I disable the DNS protection and make use of the ISP DNS or a custom DNS like NextDNS in a web browser, the banking protection starts and there is no issue with the bank sites. I never had this issue with the combo so it seems to be something recently.
Did you try to create an "Allow" exception rule in F-Secure Bank Protection for 127.0.0.1?

If that does not work, then you should submit a bug report. They will have to whitelist the adguardsvc process.

Just be aware that if you make the allow exception and it works, should there ever be a banking trojan or other malware that captures credentials on your system, and one of its processes sends packets to 127.0.0.1, then it will bypass F-Secure banking protection.

Reactions: Zartarra

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
sidenote anomaly?? I had been seeing small FS banking popup at top of browser when I'd buy something or go to bank site, but lately I noticed the opposite, ie, I'm not seeing that banking popup but I have not changed any FS SAFE settings. Just me?? Did I break something again??

Reactions: Zartarra

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.