Advice Request F-secure /Firewall protection

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

bob974

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
Hello everyone,
I am very impressed with the efficiency of F-secure Safe. Moreover, it is light on the system.
But, it relies on the windows firewall.

With F-secure Safe, what do you think of the protection offered by the windows firewall?
Is it enough? Is it really effective? Is this the weak point of this antivirus?

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Hello everyone,
I am very impressed with the efficiency of F-secure Safe. Moreover, it is light on the system.
But, it relies on the windows firewall.

With F-secure Safe, what do you think of the protection offered by the windows firewall?
Is it enough? Is it really effective? Is this the weak point of this antivirus?
Use CF with cs settings along with f secure.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
Comodo Firewall / home products are abandoned products, they barely update the product and company itself seems like an abandoned/broke one.
there has been no information about the future development of their product developers are missing and the company revenue is unclear probably dying do not trust a company that is dying it cannot obviously patch it's product security flaws in time, you suffer instead of getting better cyber safety.

now about the Firewall i'd say Windows Firewall is pretty much more than enough for a typical home user that is most probably not going to be a target for hackers trying to break into your home network, this is also something that F-Secure itself and many other cybersecurity company/experts believe into, some products tho still use the firewall feature as a marketing matter because why not, another extra feature another extra marketing point.

but if you really like to play with a Firewall i'd say Windows Firewall Control (WFC by BiniSoft) should still be more than enough for you to play with, CF is still an option but you know the risks.

for the record i've been using Windows Firewall with F-Secure SAFE for more than a year myself, considering me a happy clicker, i was pretty much safe with my setup.

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Are Comodo certificates and Comodo software still the same company? In the Comodo forum Melih is still mentioned as CEO, while Comodo certs has a different CEO, so either the forum is not maintained or the business is seperated into two entities. Certs generate a more or less constant flow of income. When they are separated, Comodo software is relying on paying customers for cash flow (and I never heard of a company using Comodo for corporate security).

Are MT members also active on Comodo forum, if so what is their impression? When was CFW updated for the last time?

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Are Comodo certificates and Comodo software still the same company? In the Comodo forum Melih is still mentioned as CEO, while Comodo certs has a different CEO, so either the forum is not maintained or the business is seperated into two entities. Certs generate a more or less constant flow of income. When they are separated, Comodo software is relying on paying customers for cash flow (and I never heard of a company using Comodo for corporate security).

Are MT members also active on Comodo forum, if so what is their impression? When was CFW updated for the last time?
All these are very interesting questions and also I would love to hear a bit more, even if I know it's a mess and super silly confusing with Comodo for some weird reason refuse to update sites that sell and promote their certificates with the correct info. Just search for " Comodo certificates " and welcome to the Jungle! :rolleyes: They had years to fix it, but it's still not dealt with. Sectigo should be the correct name nowadays for their certificates. 🤷‍♂️

But this would better belong in a thread of it's own in the actual Comodo section @Kees1958 , so start a new thread there instead. (y)🍿

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I also have F-Secure Safe on my computer with the Windows firewall. I added NextDNS and Adguard extension and Simple Windows Hardening. Furthermore, I used Firewall App Blocker to add outbound firewall rules to the Windows firewall that I took from H_C configurator and SysHardener. Did that 2 years ago.

Example
Capture d’écran 2022-03-20 082125.jpg

Last edited:

Claudio66

Level 1
Apr 9, 2022
I also have F-Secure Safe on my computer with the Windows firewall. I added NextDNS and Adguard extension and Simple Windows Hardening. Furthermore, I used Firewall App Blocker to add outbound firewall rules to the Windows firewall that I took from H_C configurator and SysHardener. Did that 2 years ago.

Example
View attachment 265146
I would like to replace Kaspersky antivirus...with F secure safe...what do you think about ?

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
Both are excellent apps. People who like to tweak an antivirus love Kaspersky. I have a 5-year-old PC : I needed to tweak Kaspersky Internet Security to make sure I get good performance from my PC. F-Secure Safe cannot be tweaked a lot, runs easy on my computer. With the addition of SWH that doesn't affect performance, I think my security is top-notch And my desktop is fast.
I added SWH a few days after the antivirus installation and just enabled the Windows Hardening part. A week later, I enabled Software Restriction Policies and had to Manage the Whitelist a few times. That's all.

Last edited:

Claudio66

Level 1
Apr 9, 2022
Both are excellent apps. People who like to tweak an antivirus love Kaspersky. I have a 5-year-old PC : I needed to tweak Kaspersky Internet Security to make sure I get good performance from my PC. F-Secure Safe cannot be tweaked a lot, runs easy on my computer. With the addition of SWH that doesn't affect performance, I think my security is top-notch And my desktop is fast.
I added SWH a few days after the antivirus installation and just enabled the Windows Hardening part. A week later, I enabled Software Restriction Policies and had to Manage the Whitelist a few times. That's all.
Thank you !

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
for the record i've been using Windows Firewall with F-Secure SAFE for more than a year myself, considering me a happy clicker, i was pretty much safe with my setup.
I just re-installed SAFE on a computer, and realized windows firewall is running, ie, firewall not controlled by SAFE. I'm sure the windows firewall on this computer is default. anything that needs to be tweaked... I'm wondering if Hard_Configurator would enhance security, that is, I think you can use it to just tweak the firewall.

Oldie1950

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2022
I just re-installed SAFE on a computer, and realized windows firewall is running, ie, firewall not controlled by SAFE. I'm sure the windows firewall on this computer is default. anything that needs to be tweaked... I'm wondering if Hard_Configurator would enhance security, that is, I think you can use it to just tweak the firewall.
Maybe this description will help you to understand the cooperation between F-Secure Safe and Windows Firewall. Obviously, F-Secure Safe controls the Windows Firewall.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
ANP ( advanced network protection ) implemented in the " Web Traffic Scanning " option, is enabled by default and works even if Windows Firewall ( WF ) is turned off for any reason. It makes it harder ( not impossible ) for malware/attackers that's able to kill/shut down WF.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
ANP ( advanced network protection ) implemented in the " Web Traffic Scanning " option, is enabled by default and works even if Windows Firewall ( WF ) is turned off for any reason. It makes it harder ( not impossible ) for malware/attackers that's able to kill/shut down WF.
big thanks to @upnorth & @Oldie1950 about SAFE working with Windows Firewall. Just looking at Windows Security | Firewall page it is silent as to SAFE. EDIT for context I have ESET on another computer and windows firewall page comments that ESET firewall is running. I just skimmed thru the F-Secure link and yeah, I think I skimmed it a few months ago, and got busy with something else, then I made a change to VMWare and just got back to reinstalling SAFE. The more I use it, the more I like it, and I'm liking it a lot. :D

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.