Battle F-Secure SAFE vs Trend Micro Maximum Security (v11)

Status
Not open for further replies.

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
I want to make sure this new Laptop is maximized for performance. I also have limitations regarding running a VM. It may ,make things get too hot. In AV-Tests, they both are better on performance. I am not sure about Real-World testing though. Trend Micro or F-Secure. They have both made progress over the years and are good products IMHO. What is your opinion?

I do weekly backups. I hate to get hit by a 0-day and then, I am screwed. If I could afford more external HDD's, I would. (I have 1) but am out of work at the moment.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I dont have anything against Trend Micro, but I would run with
F-Secure for home protection, and Consider Trend Micro if its a work environment ;)
If you follow fair and legit scores F-Secure if lighter and more accurate, but Trend Micro has one of the best Enterprise setups there is, that is why I gave the answer I gave you.
If performance is not a worry of yours then run with trend, but I have used both over the years and think at this point it would boil down to user preference. :)

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Trend Micro detection is widely focus on web based threats meanwhile F-secure focuses on majority threats landscape so definitely there's an edge.

But have to admit, Trend Micro business products are superior compare to others.

The Deepguard of Fsecure is more effective than TM's behavior based but definitely differ.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Although I have voted, only the actual user can decide which to use. As you have access to VM to test, instead of testing their capabilities, look at how they perform on day to day tasks.

One common thing that majority of the users mistakenly do is focus on av test, whether they are public or via malware hub tests etc and assume thats the way to go.

Unfortunately it is not and in a Real World scenario, unless the user is actively looking for every infection under the sun, chances of getting infected beyond control where due separate products will make much difference are minimal. - It depends on user browsing habits for starters.

I have used both and Fsecure has in my opinion better technology and more "light" compared to Trend. Both focus on different areas so take your pick.

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
He used the F-Secure for two years and I was happy with it is a good security program system, with good light detection may say, install it and forget it with you and he will do his.
now I do not use it due to lack of license.
and as for Trend Micro I can not say anything because it never had.
In any case, F-Secure want to install and enjoy it.:)

adnage19

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Didn't try Trend Micro, but AFAIK, it isn't so light for the system. However, I can speak about F-Secure - I'm a big fan of this AV, as I have been using it since 2011. I did many tests on virtual machine and F-Secure is one of the best AVs when it comes to protection. Great detection (Bitdefender engine + 2 engines by F-Secure), great web protection and pretty good DeepGuard. Recently I saw F-Secure vs. Petya v2 video and DeepGuard has blocked it. Only Kaspersky and Avira blocked it too, many AVs didn't.
It's also very light for the system.

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
Thank You to all. Downloaded F-Secure SAFE and it is lighter than Trend Micro was (given Trend was installed on an Old XP PC last year). It takes up more RAM than ESET, but overall, it's a good product. 90 day trial. SAFE + Freedome are good products.

Thank you to all for the advice and input!

soccer97

Level 11
Thread author
Verified
May 22, 2014
I dont have anything against Trend Micro, but I would run with
F-Secure for home protection, and Consider Trend Micro if its a work environment ;)
If you follow fair and legit scores F-Secure if lighter and more accurate, but Trend Micro has one of the best Enterprise setups there is, that is why I gave the answer I gave you.
If performance is not a worry of yours then run with trend, but I have used both over the years and think at this point it would boil down to user preference. :)

Agreed about the Home vs Enterprise Suites. Some enterprise/business products are very robust. If they were affordable, you had a group of PC's to manage and one had the need for an extreme level of protection, it would be interesting to try.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
According to tests I read online and we make on the Hub I would summarize as follows:
Trend has an excellent behavior blocker (that misses sometimes/too often considered the low signatures detection ) but bad/very bad signatures...F-secure has good/very good signatures and good/good + behavior blocker.
If you worry about infections and 0 days I wouldn't use neither of those but Emsisoft, Kaspersky or Bitdefender (Kaspersky and Emsi before Bitdefender) + voodooshield (free), adblock+ (free), +Hitmanpro alert or malwarebytes anti exploit free.
If you really have to choose between the 2, F-secure + + voodooshield (free), adblock+ (free), +Hitmanpro alert or malwarebytes anti exploit free.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
If you really have to choose between the 2, F-secure + + voodooshield (free), adblock+ (free), +Hitmanpro alert or malwarebytes anti exploit free.

OP asked previously between 2, not combos.

On topic: thread closed as decision been reached by OP. Moving thread to Archive.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.