Hot Take F-Secure Through the Years - Timeline Story

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Most of the people that strolls around on this site/forum, both members and guests heard or know more up close hand about the Finnish security company called F-Secure and it's products. Probably more of one of it's employee, Mikko Hypponen and all his great talks. But how many of us know or recall the history of F-Secure. Where it started and it's progress and development over the years. It's more then 30 years ago now and if curious, the timeline is found in the link below.

Either click the images at the bottom, or the arrow on the right hand side to begin the trip down memory lane. :coffee:🍪

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
Thanks a lot for that timeline, It is because I have to choose between BTS & F-Secure, the last I can get free of charge from my ISP(Danish STOFA).
But I like Bitdefender so much that I think I will stick with them(I have 477 days left on my subscription)

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
In the beginning this was a product that no one really takes seriously. 15 Years ago, ESET was the king of the street, Kaspersky start to give cards, and McAfee and Norton losing their reputation, many things has change since then.

My blog in 2008, 13 years ago:

1600339651130.png

CyberPanther

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
F-secure products don't have a firewall, for me its failure relatively to their competitors.

If I have to install another suite beside Kaspersky I will choose between F-secure and Bitdefender.

F-Secure didn't let the whole job to do for Windows Firewall. if you check the DeepGuard settings you will see this option: "Ask my permission to make an Internet Connection"

upnorth

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Thanks a lot for that timeline, It is because I have to choose between BTS & F-Secure, the last I can get free of charge from my ISP(Danish STOFA).
But I like Bitdefender so much that I think I will stick with them(I have 477 days left on my subscription)
It's understandable that you want to end the BD subscription, but as I don't know how your F-Secure deal with your ISP looks like, I can't really say much. You should probably talk with them and ask how long it will last. Just so you don't accidentally miss out on a very good deal.

For a bit more history and also information from Mikko himself, I highly recommend listen on a podcast episode. The podcasts main topic is about Poker and what happens when criminal targets players both online and offline. Click back from start to listen on that as well.

Last edited:

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
For a bit more history and also information from Mikko himself, I highly recommend listen on a podcast episode. The podcasts main topic is about Poker and what happens when criminal targets players both online and offline. Click back from start to listen on that as well.

Nice page, I didn't know about these stories, lets see if are accessible for non-English speakers, I ill-try to listen. (y)

Reactions: Cortex and upnorth

Bonorex

Level 1
Jun 12, 2020
Now that my KIS license has expired, I have some time for playing with other AVs. I will try F-secure safe and wait that Kaspersky optimizes their new version. KIS version 20 was really good: it was light on PC resources, with no annoying (false) alarms. I really liked how silent it was. I'm curious to see how F-secure will behave on my system. I have up to three months of trial time, so more than enough for a thorough evaluation.

tasos83

Level 1
Verified
Well-known
Dec 8, 2015
F-Secure didn't let the whole job to do for Windows Firewall. if you check the DeepGuard settings you will see this option: "Ask my permission to make an Internet Connection"
sorry!where is this setting; i cand find this...

FireHammer

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 27, 2020
It's understandable that you want to end the BD subscription, but as I don't know how your F-Secure deal with your ISP looks like, I can't really say much. You should probably talk with them and ask how long it will last. Just so you don't accidentally miss out on a very good deal.

Hi @upnorth it is called F-Secure Safe & I understand as long as I have internet with STOFA I also have their AV protection.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.