Platform(s)
  1. Microsoft Windows

Inzingor

Level 1
Thread author
Oct 15, 2023
Hello!

Which of the programs would you take?

I've been testing ZoneAlaramNG for the last few days and am very dissatisfied with it. System started to stutter and various other small bugs. Just a quick aside: a system with Ryzen 3900 starts to stutter, so not toasters fault :)

Best regards Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi and Dave Russo

rooney49

Level 1
Jun 14, 2023
I am using Kaspersky Internet Security currently(the older Kaspersky version). Have still close to 600 days left on the license. I know few people here have certain reservations about Kaspersky due to its origin. But it provides a stellar protection. The KSN is a gem. I have never so far encountered any virus on the laptop. Also, while visiting free-streams websites it has blocked all the suspicious url's.
Earlier I was using Bitdefender Total Security which was great as well, but no qualms with KIS. I would surely recommend KIS or Kaspersky latest offerings if you are open to give a try to Kaspersky.

Jonny Quest

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 2, 2023
You would also want to find out what their renewal policy is, which could possibly be a future issue and something to consider. Ask them upfront, before any purchase is made or after the trial version runs out, if you choose to.

Mar 4, 2022
Between those 3, I would say F-Secure. F-Secure uses the same engine as Avira, plus some its own secret sauce, so I'd say it's better. And the only reason why I wouldn't recommend Emsisoft is that it uses the Bitdefender engine, which I always find very sluggish. Same with any AV that uses the Bitdefender engine.

So my vote is F-Secure.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
F-Secure: Lightweight, reasonably priced, and highly effective, it's also user-friendly.

Avira is effective but its behavior blocker is lacking. It's system-heavy and frequently nags with additional paid features.

Emsisoft has the best behavior blocker but is quite resource-intensive in terms of RAM. It uses Bitdefender's database and engine but lacks access to Bitdefender's cloud for quicker threat blocking via virus signatures.

-> F-Secure

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
F-Secure: Lightweight, reasonably priced, and highly effective, it's also user-friendly.

Avira is effective but its behavior blocker is lacking. It's system-heavy and frequently nags with additional paid features.

Emsisoft has the best behavior blocker but is quite resource-intensive in terms of RAM. It uses Bitdefender's database and engine but lacks access to Bitdefender's cloud for quicker threat blocking via virus signatures.

-> F-Secure
Mostly agree but Avira's Sentry BB is not bad. Personally, I find it interesting to observe the detection name given by Sentry BB, as it is often very specific and can indicate the reason for a detection being triggered. Also, Sentry can revert any modifications made by a threat, which is currently unavailable in F-Secure's DeepGuard (Home version)...:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.