amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
copy last skipped URL:

@Kongo It only works for me this way:

Do you also have ClearURLs? Maybe if you don't have, then you don't face conflict like me?

Update: I removed Skip Redirect from my Edge for good.

1680633126208.png

Credit: hxxps://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/f8wjra/clearurls_and_skip_redirect_extensionsare_both/

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
You can't really compare ClearURLs with Skip Redirect, but if you're facing too many problems, then you should look for an alternative :)
I ditched the Skip Redirect for good and just keep ClearURLs and have no problem now.

@Kongo, how are you doing? i finally got make it work right!
Someone wrote:
Modified Feb 18, 2023

Still works very well for me! The blacklist feature (now called "No-skip-urls-list") supporting regular expressions is most welcome.

So to avoid the most common headaches with this enabled (though it's just as easy to temporarily switch it Off when necessary), I add these domains to my "No-skip-urls-list" list:
amazon.com
bing.com
google.com
live.com
microsoft.com
xfinity.com

I also added:
youtube.com

The problem got solved.

Question: Is it also okay to add:
Gmail.com
Hotmail.com
yahoo.com
?
Thank you.

You can't really compare ClearURLs with Skip Redirect, but if you're facing too many problems, then you should look for an alternative :)
Sorry, I forgot to comment on this. So ClearURLs and Skip Redirect installed in the Edge, wont have any conflict with each other, right? Thank you.

Reactions: Kongo

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
First of all I want to ask you which Adblocker you are using on Edge. Cause both, Adguard and uBlock Origin have an appliable filter that does the same as ClearURLs. So you dont have to install ClearURLs. And no, there shouldn't be any conflict. (y)

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Adguard for Windows Desktop together with Adguard assistant in the Edge Canary now.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Ok, but also you mean to delete the SkipRedirect addon?!
Also ClearURLs I should delete if I apply what you said above on Adguard?
Delete ClearURLs and add the filters I mentioned to Adguard. If you want to continue using SkipRedirect is totally up to you.

Where I find them in Adguard Desktop?
Should be listed in the "filter" section

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Delete ClearURLs and add the filters I mentioned to Adguard. If you want to continue using SkipRedirect is totally up to you.
1681223858480.png

Thank you for your wisdom, very much and totally appreciated. I now delete Clearurls addon and also skipRedirect. Is that better now?
Also should I enable and configure this?
1681223970587.png

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Thank you for your wisdom, very much and totally appreciated. I now delete Clearurls addon and also skipRedirect. Is that better now?
Also should I enable and configure this?
Not really necessary as the Adguard URL Filter has the same ruleset. But enabling Stealth Mode in general can help protecting you from online tracking.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Ok, now when I visit amazon.com, and search for Mack's Ultra Soft Foam Earplugs, in the absense of ClearURLs:
Amazon product ASIN B0051U7W32
Which means, I have to manually cut the ending part which starts with "ref=sr_1_5?keywords=macks+ear+plugs"
Why Adguard Desktop could not make that possible even after chaning the settings? Should I restart my PC?

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Ok, now when I visit amazon.com, and search for Mack's Ultra Soft Foam Earplugs, in the absense of ClearURLs:
Which means, I have to manually cut the ending part which starts with "ref=sr_1_5?keywords=macks+ear+plugs"
Why Adguard Desktop could not make that possible even after chaning the settings? Should I restart my PC?
Update the filters, enable the option "Strip URLs of tracking parameters" and restart the pc. Keep me updated. :)

Reactions: oldschool and amirr

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
It is expected behavior. Removing the "ref" parameter breaks many websites' functions, so it was removed.
What about this?

Reactions: SeriousHoax

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
What about this?
Most of the ones mentioned there was not added as you can see.
Here's another regarding the "ref" parameter causing breakage:
You have enabled the required filters. Now ignore these and just keep using normally. Only check on GitHub if something breaks for you.

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
Adguard works fine on this site and shortens the URL:

Schermafbeelding 2023-04-11 172004.jpg

Nothing to worry about. :)

Reactions: Nevi and oldschool

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I only added www.amazon.* URL Tracking filter · Issue #85274 · AdguardTeam/AdguardFilters all in it, and also added all www.amazon.* URL Tracking filter · Issue #85274 · AdguardTeam/AdguardFilters
nothig changed.

But, this worked fine:
1681227365208.png

But I dont know why he said: "disable Adblocking"

My test:
Worked!

What I am missing now based on the above posts? Thanks.

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
What I am missing now based on the above posts?
When I visit the Aamazon site (with the very large URL) mentioned on the github site you referred to in your last post, I see this:

Schermafbeelding 2023-04-11 194829.jpg

So AG did its job well (as expected). The log shows the results:

Schermafbeelding 2023-04-11 193953.jpg

Do you expect that the part of the URL that starts with ref also should be hidden?

• Hundred Points
Reactions: oldschool and amirr

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
When I visit the Aamazon site (with the very large URL) mentioned on the github site you referred to in your last post, I see this:

View attachment 274445

So AG did its job well (as expected). The log shows the results:

View attachment 274446

Do you expect that the part of the URL that starts with ref also should be hidden?
Hi, thanks for the update. You mean this product?

Yes, I did also see the same link format, but cut the "ref=asc_df_B07QYKSKDN/?th=1" myself.

Question: How did you open the above log file from the AG Desktop?

To answer to your question: "Do you expect that the part of the URL that starts with ref also should be hidden?" Yes, it will be neat.
I can get to the direct link as well, like this in this screenshot:

Reactions: Jan Willy

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
Question: How did you open the above log file from the AG Desktop?
Click on the AG icon in your browser. A menu opens and you can choose the log option. Refresh the page.

I don't understand why you remove the ref part from the URL. AG doesn't do it because of undesired effects as SeriousHoax stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.