Fastsolvecaptcha Question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

maleficentx

Thread author
Jan 2, 2021
Morning all, and happy new year!

I'll try and keep this short because I'm just looking for reassurance, really.

Basically, on Monday I was doing some research for a blog post and clicked on what looked like a proper link in Google (the SEO meta description and title all looked like what I was looking for) but then it redirected me to fastsolvecaptcha.com. I stupidly clicked allow because I'd never seen it before, and a bunch of notifications came through, all claiming I had a trojan on my computer, but all for security programs I don't have installed (so I knew they weren't genuine). I accidentally clicked one while I was trying to get rid of it, and it took me to a website, but I closed the tab straight away. I went back into Chrome and revoked and removed all the permissions for fastsolvecaptcha, and I haven't had another notification since.

I also did a system restore to an automatic restore point the day before. Then I ran Norton Security and their Power Eraser but nothing came up. One of their team ran their Forensic Toolkit and THAT didn't find anything. I then followed the advice in the guide on the MalwareTips site and ran MalwareBytes, which said it found 18 threats, but it only quarantined and removed 17. They were all listed as riskware and crypto miners, but I have no way of knowing if they were already on my computer before I ran into this captcha nonsense. It's a bit disconcerting about the 18th one, but it hasn't found anything else since.

I then ran Hitman Pro as well and it only found tracking cookies.

I had a bit of an issue yesterday with Chrome, which changed its homepage to the main Google page (normally I have it open on Gmail) and then whenever I closed Chrome and reopening it, it was reopening tabs I'd had open the last time. I found a fix for that on a Google support thread and that now seems to be sorted, so I'm guessing a Chrome update might have been behind that one.

So basically, having followed all of these steps, is it likely my computer is now fine and I'm worrying over nothing, or is there anything additional I need to do? Many thanks in advance!

Reactions: rndmblk and upnorth

nasdaq

Verified
Staff Member
Nov 5, 2019
Hello, Welcome to MalwareTips.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.
===

I can have a look at what may not be required.

Download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST).
Choose the 32 or 64 bit version for your system.
and save it to a folder on your computer's Desktop.
Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
Press Scan button.
It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please Attach it to your reply.
The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.

How to attach a file:
In the Reply section in the bottom of the topic Select Click the Choose a File.
Navigate to the location of the File.
Click the file. It will appear in section.
Click the Saving button.

Please attach the logs for my review.

Wait for further instructions

p.s.
This program is updated often.
If it's identified as suspicious by your Anti-Virus program trust it if Downloaded from the link I provided.
OR, you should restore the program from the Quarantine folder.
====

nasdaq

Verified
Staff Member
Nov 5, 2019
Hi,

I have reviewed your logs and they are clean.

I will leave this topic open for few days.
If you need to return please do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.