Advice Request Favorite security software that are now defunct?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I don't think one of my old favorites has been mentioned. I thought it was great, and customizable, although a bit heavy with a computer having 4MB of RAM.

Bufferzone Pro kept all the bad guys away, back in the 90s up to around 2010 or so. I think a form of it is still made but geared toward business or enterprise.

Bufferzone Pro

FEATURES
  • Safely download anything in an isolated (virtualized) zone
  • Safely open e-mail attachments in an isolated (virtualized)
  • e-Bank and e-Shop in a trusted environment (Privacy Zone)
  • Safely browse in an isolated (virtualized) zone
  • Safely chat with IM in an isolated (virtualized) zone
  • Schedule periodic "flushes" of the Virtual zone
  • Safely share with P2P applications in an isolated (virtualized) Safely use USB devices in an isolated (virtualized) zone Lock your personal files (in confidential folders) inside a trusted zone
  • Important software upgrades pass automatically into the trusted zone
  • Take a "snapshot" of the Virtual Zone for one- step restore
  • Application Control

n8chavez

Level 17
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
I really miss LooknStop Personal Firewall, LnS for short. I liked rule-based firewalls, like LnS or Kerio 2x.

Attachments

• LnS.gif
    LnS.gif
    24 KB · Views: 93

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
panda was one of the recommended free security software
Panda was a top-notch product during 2010-2016 (I think they even coined the "Cloud Antivirus" buzzword), then they lost the lead and got surpassed by other vendors as well as Microsoft Defender market share skyrocketing (most home users no longer care about AV protection). Sadly, I don't think Panda situation will improve in the future after being acquired by WatchGuard (their engine it's still mostly 32 bits and it lacks AMSI scanning).

IMO their toolbar was better than having no web protection at all on the free version.

1653957445489.png

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
What do you have against TF? It still have nice and useful HIPS/ BB features to protect older systems. It's very configurable and allow prepare fine advanced rules.

I have absolutely nothing against TF, its a product I would like to see around nowdays honestly.

As for what you said about being useful still. Is it really? are the old rules even after adding advanced ones still up to dealing with todays threat landscape? I would be more than a little hesitant to use something as old that hasnt had rules/program updates in how many years now?

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
I have absolutely nothing against TF, its a product I would like to see around nowdays honestly.

As for what you said about being useful still. Is it really? are the old rules even after adding advanced ones still up to dealing with todays threat landscape? I would be more than a little hesitant to use something as old that hasnt had rules/program updates in how many years now?
Yes I think it could be still good choice for someone who know how to prepare advanced rules. Of course not as standalone protection but in combo with e.g. Shadow Defender it would be good idea.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.