Advice Request Favorite security software that are now defunct?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

colin.p

Jan 6, 2022
WOW, this certainly brings me back to my XP days. I remember being part of a "select" ;) crowd to beta test ZoneAlarm. Outpost, Kerio, BOClean, Black Ice, SandboxIE and a million others I tried out when they first appeared. Ah yes, the good old days and I still never had any malcontents (other than myself) inadvertently infecting my computer/s.

safetrend

Level 1
Apr 15, 2022
img_180547.png

yes. it was slow and buggy but I really liked MSE much.

BigWrench

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 13, 2014
1. DriveSentry
2. Coranti 2012
3. ThreatFire
4. Mamutu
5. Ewido Anti-Spyware
6. BullGuard (now Norton :( )
7. PrevX
8. Outpost
9. Kerio Firewall
10. ClearCloud DNS by Sunbelt
Very nice.
I'm gonna go out on a limb, and add VIPRE. Yes, VIPRE. WHEN Sunbelt owned it, along with the Kerio firewall. Totally "in house" back then. So I'd have to say that this falls into the "defunct" category. Was a longtime beta tester, right up to the sale, and was ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE with Vipre, back in the day. We all were very proud of the product. My how things have changed.
I guess I could add Emsisoft as well, back in the day. In house. then you'd add the Online Armour firewall, make the suite ++, and you were bulletproof. albeit a bit heavy on resources. In my opinion this is as well "defunct", sadly.

Peace, ya'll ✌️

Last edited:

bellgamin

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 11, 2016
Here's one from 1988 -- Dr Solomon's Antivirus Toolkit.

Back in 1988 I was totally clueless about computer security. I only bought Dr Solomon because I liked the name. I am no longer totally clueless because last week I finally found a clue. (Don't ask.)

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
Here's one from 1988 -- Dr Solomon's Antivirus Toolkit.

Back in 1988 I was totally clueless about computer security. I only bought Dr Solomon because I liked the name. I am no longer totally clueless because last week I finally found a clue. (Don't ask.)
I had never heard of Dr. Solomon's name before so I looked it up. I remember fondly the days when I used to buy packages at the store.
Those were the days when they were sold like heavy books, containing a thick manual (more like a textbook than an operating manual) and multiple floppy disks.
During the installation process, it was impossible to leave the PC because the floppy disks had to be replaced.
51PSAJF1SGL.jpg

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
WOW, this certainly brings me back to my XP days. I remember being part of a "select" ;) crowd to beta test ZoneAlarm. Outpost, Kerio, BOClean, Black Ice, SandboxIE and a million others I tried out when they first appeared. Ah yes, the good old days and I still never had any malcontents (other than myself) inadvertently infecting my computer/s.
I remember installing Zone Alarm on my Windows XP laptop and finding that CompuServe dial-up would no longer connect :p

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
SUPERAntiSpyware. SUPERAntiSpyware - Wikipedia

Not actually defunct, as it appears to still be current. I had a lifetime license, but haven't installed it in over 10 years, following their acquisition...
It was excellent when it was first released. But these days sadly it only excels at detecting tracking cookies. There is a Pro X edition which uses Avira signatures too, but you'd be better off using Avira itself.

Last edited:

Jefferzzz

Jan 21, 2020
Hi all,

Oh, this is a fun topic. :)

PCTools with Threatfire was one of my first installs for a security suite that I remember.

I also really liked Zone Alarm around the early 2000's, until Check Point took over and kept the perpetual Windows Vista looking GUI for over 10+ years...

FortKnox personal firewall

Vipre early days--really awesome.

Can't exactly remember offhand, but I think there was a company called Rising?? that I tried for a bit.

And I'm sure all of you remember Norto -- I mean 'Norman' from way back when hahaa It still says that AVG aquired it, but I thought another company did at first.

Also, I still see this uuum, powerful piece of software by SummitSoft every once in a while at the thrift store. ;):LOL:

Attachments

• norman_security_suite_pro.jpg
    norman_security_suite_pro.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 71CRBGFsYPL.jpg
    71CRBGFsYPL.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.