Solved FB Clickbait poll now redirecting my Chrome browser to ads and spam

Okay, let's see if this is going to help:


Please download Zemana AntiMalware and save it to your Desktop.
  • Install the program and once the installation is complete it will start automatically.
  • Without changing any options, press Scan to begin.
  • After the short scan is finished, if threats are detected press Next to remove them.
Note: If restart is required to finish the cleaning process, you should click Reboot. If reboot isn't required, please restart your computer manually.​
  • Open Zemana AntiMalware again.
  • Click on
    4zu6vb.jpg
    icon and double click the latest report.
  • Now click File > Save As and choose your Desktop before pressing Save.
  • The only left thing is to attach saved report in your next message.
 
Same scenario. I opened att.com for a test in chrome and clicking anywhere on the page causes it to open a new tab with spam advertising.
 
FRST.gif
Scan with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

Please re-run Farbar Recovery Scan Tool to give me a fresh look at your system.
  • Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Make sure that Addition.txt option is checked.

    2873ryc.png

  • Press Scan button and wait.
  • The tool will produce two logfiles on your desktop: FRST.txt and Addition.txt.
Please attach report into your next reply.
 
FRST.gif
Fix with Farbar Recovery Scan Tool

icon_exclaim.gif
This fix was created for this user for use on that particular machine.
icon_exclaim.gif

icon_exclaim.gif
Running it on another one may cause damage and render the system unstable.
icon_exclaim.gif
​

Download attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop:

Both files, FRST and fixlist.txt have to be in the same location or the fix will not work!

  • Right-click on
    FRST.gif
    icon and select
    RunAsAdmin.jpg
    Run as Administrator to start the tool.
    (XP users click run after receipt of Windows Security Warning - Open File).
  • Press the Fix button just once and wait.
  • If for some reason the tool needs a restart, please make sure you let the system restart normally. After that let the tool complete its run.
  • When finishes FRST will generate a log on the Desktop, called Fixlog.txt.

Please attach it to your reply.
 

Attachments

TwinHeadedEagle, I thank you for your tech skills. I tested Chrome and it worked like new.

Can you provide me any insight on what you specifically fixed? I saw that the "Fix" was deleting all temp files but I didn't know if you picked up on a specific malware.

I appreciate this forum.
 
There were some signs of infection that is known to show advertisements. I combined flushdns + emptycache + removal of some non-default settings to fight it. And it worked :)
 
Since our success last week, I have had to use your fixlist.txt 3 more times. I am more careful with what I click on FB and other sites, but I am getting the same ads popping up. Has something been left behind on my computer that I re-trigger when I click with Chrome? It just occurred again and I wanted to check with you first before I ran fixlist.txt again.
 
It is a Chrome only issue and I use IE when it occurs and I need to login to talk with you. :o)

Since FB is already logged in, it doesn't affect me when I click anywhere. I can go to google and search, but any site it pulls up and I try to click, it opens the new tab and the spam ads pop up. (e.g. I go my bank site and click on the login field and the new tab open. On Google.com I searched Yahoo and got to the page. I clicked on an article and the new tab opened up.)
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top