Advice Request Feb monthly updates problematic here

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Looking thru the forum I'm not seeing that anyone posted any messages about MS Feb 2023 post-update problems. I am having some but hard to explain, so this may ramble some. System seems not to remember where apps opened on desktop and their window size; Edge lost its few security extensions like duckduckgo privacy essentials, ublock... and after reinstalling ddg and enabling it, Edge seems to ignore it?? :unsure: Email client The_Bat! will not open with error "Invalid data type for 'Text' :unsure: Cluless o_O BUT also updated this VMware win10vm yesterday, and Edge seems ok in vm. I did send a message to Bat! support, so maybe they have a clue, my concern is uninstall and reinstall will lose email messages?? I have not had a problem like this is years, perhaps I was due... :censored::eek::sick:

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

Looking thru the forum I'm not seeing that anyone posted any messages about MS Feb 2023 post-update problems. I am having some but hard to explain, so this may ramble some. System seems not to remember where apps opened on desktop and their window size; Edge lost its few security extensions like duckduckgo privacy essentials, ublock... and after reinstalling ddg and enabling it, Edge seems to ignore it?? :unsure: Email client The_Bat! will not open with error "Invalid data type for 'Text' :unsure: Cluless o_O BUT also updated this VMware win10vm yesterday, and Edge seems ok in vm. I did send a message to Bat! support, so maybe they have a clue, my concern is uninstall and reinstall will lose email messages?? I have not had a problem like this is years, perhaps I was due... :censored::eek::sick:
The update sent me to the Out of Box Experience after the required post-update reboot. And Macrium Reflect sent a toaster notification that an update is available - but Macrium has released no recent update. The notification was for the current version prior update.

This month's Windows updates are screwey.

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
In my environment, I have not had any trouble with updates for a while now, and as for Edge, I had a problem with the icons going blank once a long time ago.

I believe that if you adjust Windows settings excessively, the effect will appear in unexpected places. Since I have come to think that way, I try to touch only Windows settings for telemetry and privacy-related matters. The effect of this is questionable, but the effort to solve the trouble is more troublesome.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
In my environment, I have not had any trouble with updates for a while now, and as for Edge, I had a problem with the icons going blank once a long time ago.

I believe that if you adjust Windows settings excessively, the effect will appear in unexpected places. Since I have come to think that way, I try to touch only Windows settings for telemetry and privacy-related matters. The effect of this is questionable, but the effort to solve the trouble is more troublesome.
thanks, I agree with you, often less is more. I rarely play with Windows settings, so not sure it was me, MS, or cyber-fate.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Maybe it has something to do with disabling IE.:coffee::unsure:
I was thinking the same thing. Without any proof and no way for me to prove it, I suspect that whatever privacy violations that IE might have been (was) doing in background, have been incorporated into Edge. Or maybe just code bumping into one another?? :unsure:

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The update sent me to the Out of Box Experience after the required post-update reboot. And Macrium Reflect sent a toaster notification that an update is available - but Macrium has released no recent update. The notification was for the current version prior update.

This month's Windows updates are screwey.
THANK YOU! I just did 2 more win10 updates and unpleasant. on 3 of 4 machines, Edge is (or was) out of control here. <we are now going to sync all your ##### with our virtual machine in underground Utah>, confirm your PIN | cancel | you can't do that, confirm your PIN! | cancel | you can't do that... ... ... ... o_O:eek: Reminded me of The Outer Limits (bygone TV): There is nothing wrong with your tv, do not attempt to adjust the picture, we are now controlling the transmission... wtf 🤯

• Wow
Reactions: show-Zi

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing post-update problems with your Windows 10 system. It sounds like there are a few different issues going on, but one thing you could try is resetting the Windows Desktop. To do this, just right-click on an empty space on the Desktop and select "Display settings". Then scroll down to the "Multiple displays" section and click on "Detect". This should reset the Desktop settings to default and may help with the issue of apps not remembering their size and location.

As for the issue with Edge losing its security extensions, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Edge? This may help to resolve the issue. Regarding The_Bat! email client, it's good that you have reached out to their customer support. They may have a solution or workaround for the "Invalid data type for 'Text'" error.

Regarding your concern about losing email messages if you uninstall and reinstall The_Bat!, it's a good idea to back up your emails just in case. You can export your emails to a file and then import them back in after reinstalling the program.

I hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.