Not open for further replies.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
No problem in my opinion, the signatures were a nice addition but I look at the substance, and here the substance is not lacking for sure!
Well said sir!
Personally I am the big fan of minimalistic signatures and some of the sigs here were way to cluttered.
And second thing is that linking to the external sources increases the chance to spread malware and that is the last thing which we would like to see here I guess.. :p

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Everything is the same without them.Everyone is still a member,the forums are still the same,the content hasn't changed and we are still a tight knit community.
Putting it in perspective it is a trivial change at least in my opinion.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
The signatures were a nice personal touch i kinda miss them. :( But guess whatever is best for the forum. ;)
I think Jack is going to implement some type of text only signatures without images and in their preferences members can opt in or out whether to see other members signatures.
@Jack listens to everyones concerns or he would not have posted this thread.I think meeting everyone half way without slowing down the site is an acceptable resolution ;)

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Guys, consider this as MalwareTips started using Adblock for Signatures :cool:
A joke ;)

Now seriously. The content is important, and the less images and links drawing our attention away from the content is essential, among other security and traffic reasons. Actually there are very few practical reasons for signatures to stay on the site and very big ones to abandon them. Again, making most members happy will make us happy also.

If there is a common solution we will certainly find one

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
There goes our ability to display our individuality :(
Sigs have that big an impact ? I could see banning flash
enabled sigs or "gif" but all of them ? wow.
I will love this community reguardless, but this seems an extreme
step to take :(

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
This feels like a trap having all those beautiful images offered up, many created by staff
only to have the ability to display them yanked out from under us, now I understand why
Huracan dumped his project so abruptly :confused:

Cohen

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Disabling them altogether seems like a bit of an extreme step to take, I enjoyed looking at people's signatures. Though, I do see how not having them makes the site look more professional and less cluttered.

I think it should be left to the user's decision whether they want it on or off (as it was before, only seeing them is disabled by default maybe?). We could also have a text-only signature with a character limit that way the users can still use signatures while also not taking attention away from the content.

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I think members display their individuality with their knowledge and forum posts and don't really need a signature to do that.
I have nothing against signatures but I don't find myself viewing them very often.
I find them entertaining and fun to make when I have some spare time.
Personally they have become something that is just there like the Like,Quote and Reply buttons.
I am sure Jack will find a solution that everyone can live with.
His reasoning for removing images in signatures was one out of necessity for the site.
Not really extreme as many sites do not use them at all.
The uncluttered professional look is not the reason for disabling them but a benefit of doing so.
If the member has a choice it will still slow down the site with images linked from hosting sites.It has nothing to do with the members but the running of the forum.
Remember it is @Jack website so the way I look at it is he really doesn't have to give an explanation but he was kind enough to do so.
He has already posted that if he can find a resolution he will do so.

Last edited:

Jack

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Ok, thank you for your feedback. Some good suggestions in this thread. First off all, I've already said my opinion about Signatures - they are nothing more than an outdated feature of forums software.

Now, we've re-implemented the possibility to add a signature, however some restrictions were added.
We've removed the possibility to add images in the Signatures as they are distracting, and what's worse is the fact that they are loaded from other websites which comes with a performance impact. Furthermore, we've notice that people often add large images which do clutter the thread.

To view the Signatures, members will need to opt-in in their account preferences.
Go to Preferences and enabled "Show people's signatures with their messages"
preff.jpg

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I can see where adding images to posts would lag the server, some posts have 3, 4, or more images embedded in them hosted remotely and most are large images.
You have a system for adding images locally that would help. I would remove the ability to add images to posts that don't use the forums
builtin method, I would bet money that is having a more adverse effect than a small image in a sig.
The wallpaper show off section would be a drain as well closing that would help too. ;)

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I would agree that signatures lately is getting bigger/sluggish and hence, it's really gonna eat-up my data usage. I'm okay without those signatures.

Somehow, I felt it can be made better too with standardized signatures; it's what I called badges.

Perhaps I can post an example link below and show what a badge look like.
MIUI Diwali Theme Contest: Join to Win Mi Notebook Air, Mi 5, Mi Max & More! - Themes - Xiaomi MIUI Official Forum

Those badges are on the right hand of every user posting (just below) the "send PM". You can fix the dimension to be equal (of course ideally small as well) and everyone have the same formatting. No more own-self-colourful-sluggish-signatures. The badges can be those from AV/AM companies logo indicating their config or even MT's own limited edition badges (where you need to earn it) or etc.

Not sure if this is a good or bad feedback but just a thought if you wish to have signatures back.

D

Deleted member 178

My view about signatures:

1- ok, i will miss some ; but not others. Many sigs were just huge ugly and annoying banners just copied-pasted, not much creativity on them... i spent hours on mine, made it with a decent size and special effects... i will miss it, but can live without it easily. Avatars reflect who you are , not the sigs.

2- as @Rebsat said, they helped to directly reach the config thread at first glance, that was the main advantage of them. New members will not find how to see configs setup from the profile page; unless someone tell them.

I think the config link should be moved (if possible) under the avatar. so everybody can see it and click on it if interested.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
My view about signatures:

1- ok, i will miss some ; but not others. Many sigs were just huge ugly and annoying banners just copied-pasted, not much creativity on them... i spent hours on mine, made it with a decent size and special effects... i will miss it, but can live without it easily. Avatars reflect who you are , not the sigs.

2- as @Rebsat said, they helped to directly reach the config thread at first glance, that was the main advantage of them. New members will not find how to see configs setup from the profile page; unless someone tell them.

I think the config link should be moved (if possible) under the avatar. so everybody can see it and click on it if interested.
I agree, there were many times that without Exterminators very informative sigs I would have not found things that I needed.
I know it's Jack's site and he calls the shots, but there are so many other resource hogging ways the images effect the site that
removing the sigs should have been lower on the list of options and not the first option, it was first I feel because it was the easiest to impliment.
allowing for 1 small image would have been sufficient combined with forcing posters to use the native image uploader when posting image
content within a post seeing that some posts contain many images of a large size. i wont post on this any more, I just wanted to say that.
Huracan and others know this was coming so I don't like that it was passed off as a community discussion either when it was obviously
already decided in advance, but this is just my opinion and I can accept it or hit the road. ;)
PeAcE

Last edited:

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Ok, thank you for your feedback. Some good suggestions in this thread. First off all, I've already said my opinion about Signatures - they are nothing more than an outdated feature of forums software.

Now, we've re-implemented the possibility to add a signature, however some restrictions were added.
We've removed the possibility to add images in the Signatures as they are distracting, and what's worse is the fact that they are loaded from other websites which comes with a performance impact. Furthermore, we've notice that people often add large images which do clutter the thread.

To view the Signatures, members will need to opt-in in their account preferences.
Go to Preferences and enabled "Show people's signatures with their messages"
View attachment 116063
Thanks, that is a good compromise

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.