Fell for Firefox "missing font" scam

MarkPhil

Thread author
Dec 23, 2017
I visited a webpage where the text wasn't rendering, and got a popup notification in Firefox that said I needed to install a missing font. I downloaded the file (ttf.js) and ran it (this was not smart, I know—in my defense, this looked much more legit than your typical virus scam, but still...) The file disappeared after I ran it and I can find no trace of it.

Shortly thereafter i got a "flyout" notification from Windows Defender that a threat had been detected. I clicked on the notification but didn't get any additional information. I also got a message box notification about a security threat—I don't remember the file path it mentioned, but it had something to do with Xbox (which I've never used).

Naturally I started Googling and discovered that what I'd downloaded was malware. I ran a full Windows Defender scan, and installed Malwarebytes, Malwarebytes anti-rootkit (based on this thread), Zemana, HitmanPro, and AdwCleaner. All of them found no threats, and I haven't noticed any unusual behavior on my machine. But I'm worried because I also found a recent article saying that many AV programs don't recognize this malware (although I don't know whether that refers just to the initial file I downloaded or to the various things the malware installs when you run it).

So either this is an very clever virus that has slipped past all of these AV tools or else I got extremely lucky and my computer hasn't been infected. Windows clearly picked up that something was amiss, but is it possible it neutralized the threat before any damage was done? Do the attached logs give any clues?

Many thanks for any advice.

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    47.3 KB · Views: 0
  • AdwCleaner[S0].txt
    944 bytes · Views: 1
  • FRST.txt
    114.2 KB · Views: 0
  • HitmanPro_20171224_1208.log
    2.2 KB · Views: 1
  • mwb.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Zemana.txt
    812 bytes · Views: 1

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.