Fiery's laptop config

Fiery

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 11, 2011
Cleaning Utility: CCleaner
Other programs:
Auslogic disk defrag
Zemana antilogger (I don't have it enabled currently)
VM for testing Virtual Box but I rarely do it anymore.

System Specs:
Intel duo core 2.0GHz
3GB RAM
500GB HD (180GB free)
No graphics card

I mainly use wireless connection. I know CIS 6 is out but I currently need my laptop for exams and I do not want to risk installing a new version of CIS until the end of April.

Feedback is appreciated :D

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I like the setup. Have you considered though adding Lastpass? and I'm guessing you have Hitman Pro on standby?

House_maniac

Level 1
Sep 21, 2011
good config i'll say, well i'm using CIS 6 so far so good only thing i dislike is the gui otherwise i'll say pretty much all bugs were fixed!like mc lovin said you can add hitmanpro or emsisoft antimalware as on demand!

Fiery

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 11, 2011
McLovin said:
I like the setup. Have you considered though adding Lastpass?

I will definitely look into Lastpass, since I have to input my login info everytime I come on MT.

I'm guessing you have Hitman Pro on standby?

I'm not a HitmanPro fan :)

well i'm using CIS 6 so far so good only thing i dislike is the gui otherwise i'll say pretty much all bugs were fixed!

That's good to hear! Still, if my laptop crashes during an exam, I don't get any extra time. CIS has BSOD my laptop once from disabling defense+ and since the exam software kills all processes, I'm not taking any chances. The exam software will also lock my laptop if it crashes and the only way I can access it is through a code from the instructor (It's like a virus!). My instructor even joked that if we play around with the software at home during the weekend and it crashes, we will have to pay him $50 to receive the code right away or wait until Monday. (Talk about academic ransomware)

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Very nice. If you don't like HM Pro, MBAM is close enough, and if you are really suspicious you can always run KBRD. With your knowledge and instincts, you will know when something is wrong, thus you will know when you need not rely on MBAM alone.

CIS is the real deal, imho.

I like that you keep it simple, yet secure.
I never mess with LastPass, or anything else. I have one password for banking/financial transactions and one password for recreation. That, in combination with a HitMan Pro scan for keyloggers, and screen capturing malware, keeps me content. If I am not mistaken, CIS has a BB with it, so that should alert you of what I consider to be the biggest threats (keyloggers).

I am surprised you use WOT, because you seem to be a wizard. I thought WOT was for noobs. LOL Not that we were all not noobs in the beginning. lol I prefer to have as little "are your sure?" malware prevention help as possible, less I am training a BB, and even then it is not as bad as making decisions and being asked "are you sure" over and over and over.

Fiery

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 11, 2011
I rarely use WOT as I mainly use WOT. I had it installed long time ago. It's still a good addon to have when I have to visit or check unknown sites :)

CIS has HIPS which catches most of the things

I

illumination

Looks really good.. only thing i could suggest, that i would use with both FF & Chrome, would be HTTPS Everywhere.

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
HTTPS Everywhere good for internet cafe banking?
My friend insists she may have to engage in banking and financial transactions at Tsarbucks, McDonalds, Barnes and Noble, etc.
Firegloves, NoScript, KeyScrambler and RequestPolicy good for that potentially risky behavior as well?

Good point about WOT, Fiery.

I

illumination

Gnosis said:
HTTPS Everywhere good for internet cafe banking?
My friend insists she may have to engage in banking and financial transactions at Tsarbucks, McDonalds, Barnes and Noble, etc.
Firegloves, NoScript, KeyScrambler and RequestPolicy good for that potentially risky behavior as well?

Good point about WOT, Fiery.

HTTPS Everywhere is good for sites that have both secure and non secure connections, automatically forcing them to use the secure ones. If the bank is already on a secure connection, it would be of no difference.

Im not so sure i would advise banking in open "hotspots" with out some kind of encryption like a VPN..

Fiery

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 11, 2011
Thanks for the suggestion, I will try out lastpass and HTTPS Everywhere :D

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
Im not so sure i would advise banking in open "hotspots" with out some kind of encryption like a VPN

Knew I was missing something. You are my right brain. Thanks for that.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.