Solved Filezilla virus taplika "browser"

julia

Thread author
Feb 8, 2015
Hello,

I downloaded Filezilla last week - unfortunately from the wrong site. Directly afterwards I noticed Taplika in my browser. I removed Taplika from the browsers extensions, since I thought, I just downloaded some program I didn't want. I did not see a warning from my antivirus (avast). I don't know, if I missed it or if it never showed. I used the pc normally for 3-4 days. Didn't notice anything.

Yesterday I tried to uninstall Taplika via programs/features tab, mostly because it seemed to be an annoying add-on, which alreday put an icon in my taskbar. When uninstalling the antivirus warned me about malware and suggested to restart and scan. I clicked ok/restart. The pc tried restarting but crashed and adviced me to restore, which I did. I went directly to the programs tab again and saw that there was even an WSE taplika program which I tried to uninstall as well. The same happened again: warning to restartand scan, crash, restore.

Then the screen went black when entering windows. I shut down a few times, restarted again and sometimes I was lucky and got to my desktop. I tried opening my browser (chrome), nothing, I tried opening firefox and got taplika again.

I shut down and restarted some time later, black screen. At first I could open task manager, but didn't notice anything special (propably because I simply didn't know what to look for...). And now it's only black, if I can get the task manager to open, it says "no active apps".

I saw the other thread by JammerW, who had the same problem, but I don't know where to start trying to repair it, since I can't even get into windows...

Thanks in advance for advice!

argus

Former MalwareTips Staff
Verified
Apr 24, 2014
Helllo,

My name is Argus and and I will be helping you with your computer problems.

Before we begin, please note the following:
  • I will working be on your Malware issues, this may or may not, solve other issues you have with your machine.
  • The logs can take some time to research, so please be patient with me.
  • Stay with the topic until I tell you that your system is clean. Missing symptoms does not mean that everything is okay.
  • Instructions that I give are for your system only!
  • Please do not run any tools until requested ! The reason for this is so I know what is going on with the machine at any time. Some programs can interfere with others and hamper the recovery process.
  • Please perform all steps in the order received. If you can't understand something don't hesitate to ask.
  • Again I would like to remind you to make no further changes to your computer unless I direct you to do so. I will not help you if you do not follow my instructions.

Please print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing
  • Download OTLPENet.exe to your desktop
  • Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
  • Ensure that you have a blank CD in the drive
  • Double click OTLPENet.exe and this will then open imgburn to burn the file to CD
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • Wait for the CD to detect your hardware and load the operating system
  • Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop
    Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy
  • Insert the USB with FRST
  • Locate the flash drive with FRST and double click
  • The tool will start to run.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.

julia

Thread author
Feb 8, 2015
Hi and thanks for the help!

I had some trouble getting the system to boot from CD. I tried several times changing the order in which the system should boot until I had USB CDROM at the top and WINDOWS all the way at the bottom. But still it wouldn't boot from the disk. Then I saw on the top of the page a line that said Boot: UEFI. I knew that UEFI meant that the computer wouldn't start via bios, I didn't know what the alternative LEGACY meant, but I took a chance and got lucky :)

The computer booted from the CD, I got a loading bar that said REATOGO something. But when it was done loading the screen turned blue and there was quite a lot of text about my computer trying to boot from a disk and not the hard disk and that it was infected with a virus and that I should restart and scan it. There wasn't any other option, so I turn it off. Turning back on, the system is bios - or whatever it is, black screen white text like it was before everything started automatically - but it says there is no bootable device and that I should insert a boot disk. I burned another OTLPENet disk, but it didn't help.

Am I doing something wrong?

argus

Former MalwareTips Staff
Verified
Apr 24, 2014
LEGACY is Ok.

Click Ctrl + alt + del. Can you access the task manager?

julia

Thread author
Feb 8, 2015
I clicked Ctrl + alt + del and it started booting directly. The Reatogo loading appeared again and when it finished Windows XP sign came up. Now it's blue again warning me of a virus and that windows shut down to prevent damage. It advises me to check for viruses and to run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption....

julia

Thread author
Feb 8, 2015
nothing I can do: can't write, tried crtl + alt + del, enter, esc, anything but no reaction. Only possibility that I can see is to turn off

julia

Thread author
Feb 8, 2015
No luck, I tried Shift with and without F8 several times - even pressing the keys before turning the pc back on - but it tries to boot from disk automatically. Do you have an another method to access safe mode?

argus

Former MalwareTips Staff
Verified
Apr 24, 2014
There is no way. Maybe is best carry off in service.
chkdsk indicates on the hard drive.

argus

Former MalwareTips Staff
Verified
Apr 24, 2014
Maybe should only reinstall windows.
I think that avast made problem.

BTW.
Restore bios to UEFI.

Last edited:

julia

Thread author
Feb 8, 2015
I will restore it, if I can get back in. :)

If I would reinstall windows what happens to my personal files? Most of them are in a cloud, but some aren't...

julia

Thread author
Feb 8, 2015
No I didn't have, but I'll try anyway. It's only a few files and maybe I'm lucky and can recover some... Thanks again!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.